20K computer upgrade, Please give ur sugestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptid

Journeyman
i own a P3 933Mhz, Intel 810e mobo with 256 mb ram, a Samsung 52x cd-Rw and a Pioneer DVD-Rom

So i am planning to upgrade my com to a P4 3.0 GHz, Intel 945GNTLR with GMA 950 , 512mb Ram & a DVD-Writer

so i need to know if this is a good configuration for my 20,000 budget, i am not sure about my Motherboard I herd that GMA 950 (Graphic media Accelerator 950) supposidly has a 224mb or 192mb Video memory so i feel this should be enough for my gaming needs and in case it is not enought can i add another graphic card later (i.e few months later) like a Nvidia Geforce or something like that, suppose i add a 128mb card later will my onboard graphics and the graphics of my added card act combindly and give a 192mb+128mb graphic output?

I have absolutly no idea about graphic cards & how they work so please helpme out,,

and lastly how much do u think i will get if i sell my old com ( i feel i should get around Rs 5000/- )

P.S
I also dunno if i should go in for a Pentium 4 HT or a Pentium D processor which 1 u think is better and future proof

i Dual boot Windows XP SP2 and Ubuntu Linux 5.10 so will the above configuration work without ne trouble

hummer

Journeyman
1. this is ok fr non serious weekend gaming , nomore,
2. no the memory ll not b added up , u either can use on board gpu memory or gfx card memory.
3. u seem to b giving too much importance to gfx memory, wha s imp is the genration or series they belong, shader model, open gl version , d3d support version, pixel pipelines, core and memory clock etc.
4. there 2 major gfx chipset manufactures nvidia & ati.
this is the range of cards they offer in pci -e mode fr ur mobo
nvidia- low end-6200, 6600,mid range- 6600gt,6600le,high end-6800, 6800gs, 6800gt, 6800ultra, 7800gt, 7800gtx.
ati- low end- x300, mid- x600, x700, x1300 high- x800, x800xl, x800gt /gto, x850,x1800
i don remember all of ati range but this should b able 2 give u arough idea.

G

gxsaurav

Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, Asus P5GL-MX motherboard, 2X512 MB DDR400, Geforce 6600non ultra, & the rest as U need

but still even this PC will go beyond 20k,

the other option is a Sempron system, but it won't be powerful enough, but a lot powerful then your current system

madman123

Broken In
dvd writer, definitly go for the sony DRU series dual layer...i think that is the best out there...
around 4000rs
on ram u should decide whether u want 512, in which case u should get two 256's and use in dual channel...try getting atleast 400mhz...
around 5000rs
mobo, get either the 925xe or the 915...good enough...
8-10k
if u have additional cash...i suggest the 660gt...any brand but BIG...
this would be another 9000...
otherwise any thing below that and u might even get it in your budget...

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
thanx for all the suggestion but please stick to the 20,000 budget i cant spend a penny more than 20,000 so please see that i get a good mobo a 3GHz processor and a DVD writer and also i should be able to play few of the latest games (like NFS Under Ground)

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
if u dont mind givin up pentium i must say AMD gives a much better value for money and is also much superior in terms of performance !!!

how about AMD athlon64 3200+ or 3500+
on a msi rs480m2-il

tht for is an ideal combination !!!

madman123

Broken In
sorry abt exceeding the budget...well graghics...go for a 6200...it costs around 3k and works for weekend gamers
stick with the dvd-rw...so thats another 3k...
2x256 mb ddr 400mhz: 3k
now u have 11k left...go for a 2.8ghz or 3ghz processor, around 5-6k
this leaves u with 5k for a mobo

hummer

Journeyman
there is slight prob on the above config . pentium 3.0 wont b less than 7500 i think, so that leaves 2500 fr mobo , too less.
as vijay has said AMD 3200+ MSI482M2=11000. plus the board has on board x300 gpu the best onboard solution.+3k fr dvd rw,+2.5k fr ram(transcend).so u hv lots of money saved. the graphics is much better than gma 950and processor is beter than than intels single core3.0wha do u say dude? go fr amd.
@ vijay- msi 480m2-il has become 482m2-il due 90nm fabrication process.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
ok so far i have been hearing alot bout AMD so i want things to be put in the way i understand them so please help me
Let me know the equivalent OF this configuration in AMD

*Intel 945GNT (GMA 950)
*512MB RAM
*3 GHZ processor

i hope AMD will work out cheaper than Intel so that i can add in a Good graphic card,,, i mainly want my computer to be able to handle multiple task well and also be able to play games( like NFS UG2 and NFS Most Wanted)

And also please give few details on A64X2 4800+ been hearing bout about this it performed very well on many benchmarks check this link for details *www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=384519&P=6

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
AMD:-
3000+ (939 pin),3200+ (939 pin)
ASUS A8NE MOBO(dont have onboard grapix)
Kingston 512 DDR 400 MHz ram

i guess X2 4800+ is not yet available in the indian market.X2 4200+ is available which will come around 26k.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
ok if i buy the intel configuration i gave earlier would it be wise to add in a graphic card so that i can play games at its best quality? and what are best graphic cards available in the range of 6-7K i dont want AGP cards coz 945GNT doesnt have agp slots so please let me know which is the best available cards and also tell me what am i suppose to look for while buying a discret GPU( is it the video memory or something else ?)

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
yea ofcourse it will b a very wise decision to add any decent grapix card.
for 6-7k u can get a 6600nu card.but i'll suggest u to get atleast 6600GT leadtek,XFX,BIG card which will come around 8-9k.it will b more future proof to sum extend and can handle almost evry game which is available in the market 2day.
1.i'll suggest u to go for a AMD rig.
2.if u really wanna go for a Intel platform than better get a 945P chipset instead of the one u want as u will b going for a external gpu so it will perform better and have more features.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
@Aniruddh wats wrong with 945G are there any know issues with it?i choose 945G coz of its onboard grphic subsystem coz i wont be going in for a GPU right now i will wait till Febuary so till them GMA 950 should be able to take care of my gaming needs( i know it wont be as good as a discrete GPU but something is better than nothing)
if u think i am making a mistake then suggest another way out

AGENT_SMITH

Journeyman
AMD64 3000+ (Venice)----------- 6100
Asus A8N-VM (nForce C51)------ 4200
512*2 MB DDR400 --------------- 4500
LiteOn0 DVD Writer--------------- 3100
Geforce 6200-----------------------3000
-----------------------------------------------
Total would be 21900

The mobo is available with Rashi Peripherals
It is based on the 6100 nforce chipset

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
no theres nothing wrong with 945G chipset but as u asked for the gpu so i thought its better for u to go for a 945P chipset as it will perform better than that.u can go for 945G if u dont wanna go for a external gpu this mobo is quite decent.why u dont wanna go for a AMD rig?i dont want to force u but juz wanna kno the reason as AMD is far better than intel at this point of time as its more value for money and has better performance.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
@Aniruddh
ok let me be frank i have this feeling bout AMD that it wont be as good as Intel for some reason and the processor clock speed is also less than that of Penium i guess AMD has the fastest Processor clocked at 2.4 or 2.8 GHZ where as Pentium has 3.7 Ghz processor, the second thing is that i found out 2day that AMD dual core processor cost around 24-30k thats bloody expensive (according to me) where as if i go in for a intel 945 i can later on change the pentium 4 HT processor to pentium D HT (this processor is not out yet might take atleast 7-8 months), at present only pentium celeron D 2.4GHZ processor is available in hyderabad market & i can also buy a ADD2 card for my TV output + TV tuner i guess only intel supports ADD2 cards and AMD dosent

I have nothing against AMD it is just that i have this feeling that it is not very future proof i may be wrong but what can i do this feeling in me wont die

hummer

Journeyman
dude , don go by ghz ratings a normally clocked amd 64 3200+ clocked at 1.9ghz ll thrash the hell of all celeron processors available including celeron d and is better than all single core processors of pentium till 3.0 ghz.
socket 939 amd processors r at least as future proof as intels.
coz socket 939 is also used by dual core amds.
dual core amds r xpensive but the proce 2 performance is much much better than intels, and 64 solutions r cheaper n btter in terms of processing power , heat production when compared to intels.
some egs *reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/processorsmemory/0,39024015,39233885-4,00.htm

*www.firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_4_cpu_performance/page3.asp

*www.firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_4_cpu_performance/images/mainhigh.gif
*www.firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_4_cpu_performance/images/mainlow.gif
*www.gen-x-pc.com/p4_AMD_2.htm
hope u change ur mind about amd

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
@hummer
thanks for all the info i think i will be change my mind about AMD :)
mean while will u please write me down a good future proof AMD processor + Mobo + 512 RAM + DVD writer which will work out under 20K
please keep in mind that the computer will be used for multitasking and gaming so please try to sqeez this all under 20K. THANX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom