20 Mins 213 MB; 1hr 650 MB+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Okay i hit upon this discovery recently..Many of you may aldready know this.

Procedure

Case 1

:arrow: Take a .avi file of say 20 mins and file size 160 MB.
:arrow: Next Open Nero 6 and Select make a Vedio CD
:arrow: Select the .avi(or .mp4) file and see hpw much of your Cd space has been
used up
:arrow: In my case it came to about 213 MB.

Case 2

:arrow: Do the above steps for a 1hr vedio file of same size or a little
bigger
:arrow: Check the sapce used on the CD.It will show 676 MB!

IMO the space used up the CD is related to the time in mis the vedio file is and not the size.
I used Nero Digital Codec for both the file and made them to mp4.

Am i right?

C

cybermanas

Yup,
Nero calculates the size of a audio cd and video cd by the time and not space.So it is showing up as 676MB.

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Ha Ha..So my synopsis was rite.
@alib_i : iwanted to make a Vedio CD so that it can run on VCD player too
So is there any other buring s/w that burn in Vedio CD format but dosent calc sapce on basis of time...??

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Hmmm .. that makes sense.
As the compression rate is a constant (unlike avi where you choose absolutely any bitrate you want) .. the size of file eventually depends upon length of video.
Isnt it ?

and yes aman ... it's video not vedio ..
you constantly seem to make the same mistake over and over ! :)

-----
alibi

suhasingale

Journeyman
amanwannalearn said:
Okay i hit upon this discovery recently..Many of you may aldready know this.

Procedure

Case 1

:arrow: Take a .avi file of say 20 mins and file size 160 MB.
:arrow: Next Open Nero 6 and Select make a Vedio CD
:arrow: Select the .avi(or .mp4) file and see hpw much of your Cd space has been
used up
:arrow: In my case it came to about 213 MB.

Case 2

:arrow: Do the above steps for a 1hr vedio file of same size or a little
bigger
:arrow: Check the sapce used on the CD.It will show 676 MB!

IMO the space used up the CD is related to the time in mis the vedio file is and not the size.
I used Nero Digital Codec for both the file and made them to mp4.

Am i right?

Haven't you ever seen 80 Mins written on Blank CD's, That exactly mean for Audio CD and Video CD purpose. So when you create a VCD or an ACD don't look for the space instead consider the duration of video. One more thing i would like to tell you, if you burn 80 Mins of video on disk then the total size on disk will be more than 700 MB. Try to copy the AVSEQ file after burning th VCD of 80 Mins.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Yeah time counts and not space in vedio and audio CD's .But remember that if u wirte it as a data CD. Then it is not readable in most VCD or DVD players . Pictures and MP3's may be readable but not the vedios.

rajat22

In the zone
Why VCD and SVCD discs (700MB) can store 795MB of video.....

Source: *www.gromkov.com/faq/burning/cdrom_capacity.html

Why VCD and SVCD discs (700MB) can store 795MB of video information without overburning ?

Question:
Some SVCD discs have more capacity than normal CDs with data. For example, 735MB of MPEG
VCD video can be stored on 650MB disc. Why is it possible?

Answer:
650MB or 700MB - is a maximal size of CD intended for DATA.
Real maximal size of 650MB CD is: 746.9 Mb
Real maximal size of 700MB CD is: 807.5 Mb
CD consist of sectors. Each sector has 2352 bytes.
DATA CDs occupy only 87% of all sectors (700MB of 807.5MB or 650MB of 746.9MB). CDs with
data and CD reading mechanisms are not faultless. That is, errors (indeed frequent errors) could
be made during the reading. A single bit error could lead to a program being unexecutable or ruin
an archive file. Thus, for CD-ROMs, part of each sector is devoted to error correction codes and
error detection codes. The CD-R FAQ has the details, but in effect, only 2048 bytes out of a total
of 2352 bytes in each sector is available for user data on a data CD. The burning mode for CD
with DATA is either MODE1 or MODE2 Form1.
Audio CDs occupy each byte of all of sectors. 2352 bytes of 2352 bytes. That's why capacity of
audio CD is maximal (100%, 807.5MB of 807.5MB). For audio CDs errors aren't important as for
CDs with data. Audio CDs do not contain correction codes, because it's possible to interpolate
from the adjacent audio samples.
VCD and SVCD CDs occupy 98.8% of all sectors. 2324 bytes of 2352 bytes. The capacity of VCD
is almost maximal (797.9MB of 807.5MB or 738MB of 746.9MB). Additional space per each sector
isn't used for error codes, the space is used for something other than video data (e.g., sync
headers). The burning mode for VCD is MODE2 Form2.

Why VCD and SVCD discs (700MB) can store 795MB of video information without overburning ?
So, as you noticed the main determinant is the burning mode of the disc. MODE2 Form2 for VCD
and MODE1 for CD with DATA.
The often quoted capacities of 650MB and 700MB refer to CD-ROM capacities. Due to the fact
that S/VCDs use a different burning mode where MORE of each sector is available as user data,
the relatively capacities are HIGHER. Now, since S/VCDs are not composed of PURELY video
tracks and have some unavoidable overheads, the actually total capacity left for video tracks is a
few Mb less for each disc (about 735 Mb for 74min discs and 795 Mb for 80min discs). This is
where the often quoted capacities of 740MB and 800MB come from. They are quite accurate. All
these capacities are available BEFORE overburning. Overburning is where you burn MORE
sectors than the disc is rated for. If you overburn, you can typically achieve about 1-2 minutes of
additional capacity (depending on your drive and media).

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
So basically no s/w will allow me to burn a 90 or 80 min Video(got the speilling rite!!) in a VCD(.dat) format on a 700 MB CD??

theraven

Technomancer
u get 80/90 minute discs
u can burn on those
90 minute discs are ones which require over burning which maybe harmful to the writer

sorry boss u just have to get over the fact that its not possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom