17 " lcd with DVI input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringwraith

Journeyman
Any 17" lcds in the market with DVI input? im looking at a future upgrade here...
the samsung 710N and viewsonic VA712 both have only analog connectors :(

aceman

Broken In
It is tough to find 17 inch with DVI in India, I was initially searching for 710T ...........finally gave hope and bought a 710n, not that I regret 710n is a great monitor though..COntrast is almost as good as CRT, color reproduction is decent and gosting is not visible ( as far as my eyes can see).

OP
R

Ringwraith

Journeyman
seriously... but with lcd/plasma technology getting cheaper... i hope around 6 months quality LCDs ll be lower priced and more accessible.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Samsung 710n here too...

Frankly DVI doesn't offer that much boost in performance to justify the price rise. I mean yes there is that 5-10% improvement.. but it's hardly noticeable!

Ringwraith said:
Any 17" lcds in the market with DVI input? im looking at a future upgrade here...
the samsung 710N and viewsonic VA712 both have only analog connectors :(

Do you really need DVI? Honestly, you won't find any difference.

mail2and said:
I mean yes there is that 5-10% improvement..

Improvement in what?

-k

OP
R

Ringwraith

Journeyman
yeah u are probably right keith, but if i m going for an LCD i wud rather have the best technology :p
in fact DVI does produce sharper/more vibrant images since the input is cleaner (since digital signals produced by gfx card do not have to go through a digital to analogue converter), but the difference is probably very slight to notice
looks like there's a dearth of DVI input lcds right now in india...so ill rather wait since i can make do with my lg studioworks CRT right now.
anyways some sites which i found on DVI vs VGA :
*compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDSpecs.htm
*reviews.cnet.com/4520-3174_7-5136369-1.html
*www.devhardware.com/c/a/Video-Cards/Video-Hardware-Part-1/5/

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
kEITH said:
mail2and said:

Improvement in what?

The image looks a tiny bit sharper and crisper.. although spending that much extra for such a minute difference is foolishness IMO. That's why i bought the 710n...

we aren't americans, are we?

aceman

Broken In
The image looks a tiny bit sharper and crisper.. although spending that much extra for such a minute difference is foolishness IMO. That's why i bought the 710n...

If I were in america i would be using a Dell 1600*1280 native resolution LCD panel with 7800GTX in SLI , but i can only dream these back in India :lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
R

Ringwraith

Journeyman
mail2and said:
kEITH said:
mail2and said:

Improvement in what?

well i dont think how being american/indian matters here. all i can say is that if uve already bought something like the 710N u need not worry, its a good display. I m kinda looking at a future proof scenario whr i want my next monitor to last 3-4 future upgrades :p ..... in fact i m even willing to look 19" options, when their prices become more reasonable! Thanks for the response everyone! LCD prices are falling and i m rather looking forward to the sweet spot :)

aceman

Broken In
theraven said:
i think the samsung 730B is dual input ..
that is analog and digital
check it out

Is 730B available in India ? if so what is the price ? I was searching for this precise model and coudn't find any and thus had to settle for a 710n. Had to replace since since my compac 15 inch CRT which was five years old died and had to change my screen.

theraven

Technomancer
sorry m8 i was shotting off the top of my head
i dunno if its available
ull have to ask samsung dealers
i was just doing some research and i found this to be quite good infact

anyways u wont have any problems with 710n either
its a gr8 piece
with another digit member who went for it .. and our very oen andy backin it too .. i think u should go fot it

aceman

Broken In
I have asked a lot of dealers + searched thorugh every street of Ritche street but was not able to find 710B, some had the viewsonic model but i was not sure about the service in that model.For the Dell model , the reply was I have dell pc if you want :lol: .so settled for the 710n and as I was saying, all i saw was improvement from my CRT ( okay my five year old 15 inch CRT was never a technological wonder anyway).The only issue is that it does not look good at resolution(s) below the native one ( at least my perspective), but with a nice video card and disabling AA ( image looks clean anyway at these resolutions and the resulting performance hit is not worth it) can do the trick.

aceman

Broken In
theraven said:
its not supposed to look good at resolution other than native one
lcd's work best only in one resolution

yep and this factor sucks when ever i think of latest games which might be released.Do note that when a game frames in a LCD , well it will be even more horrible than gosting.God only knows how long I can keep playing mordern games at 1280*1024 before by 6800GT becomes a bottle neck :cry: :cry:

G

gxsaurav

1024X786 resolution with 85 Hz is possible & good for all 17" LCD as far as I know, do u really need to go any higher

U can increse the font & icon size from the desktop properties panel

OP
R

Ringwraith

Journeyman
theraven said:
its not supposed to look good at resolution other than native one
lcd's work best only in one resolution
thats the biggest problem with the lcds currently available in india....high end lcds are either not available or at an extreme price premium :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom