16 GB Ram.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Should I upgrade to 16 GB Ram? I currently have 8GB in Lenovo Y500. I was thinking about Corsair Vengeance or Kingston HyperX. Is it required or should I wait for some time? Is 8 GB ram enough for current-next gen games?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it a good idea to upgrade? Anyone?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
More than RAM, you need SSD if you want blazing fast speeds in games. And I think you already have SSD on your Lenovo Y500.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
More than RAM, you need SSD if you want blazing fast speeds in games. And I think you already have SSD on your Lenovo Y500.

Yes I got a SSD. The only 2 things left to upgrade are Ram(upto 32 GB) and processor upto 3940XM which costs 500$. I think upgrading processor won't be a good idea as it'll produce a lotta heat.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If the only downside you think to to upgrade processor is heat, rather than $$$, I think you *can* upgrade to more RAM.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
ram upgrade will be a waste of money at-least for the games available now. for the next gen games, upgrade only when the need arises. 8gb is sufficient for now.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Say when will be a good time for upgrading RAM? say fall 2014? What if I remove RAM from my old laptop(1 GB) and put it here? Can we mix and match DD3 and DD2? Sorry for noob question.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Say when will be a good time for upgrading RAM? say fall 2014? What if I remove RAM from my old laptop(1 GB) and put it here? Can we mix and match DD3 and DD2? Sorry for noob question.

i mean , when the games demand for more than 8gb while *playing*, then upgrade. for the current gen games, upgrade is not absolutely necessary.
you cant mix dd3 and ddr2 modules unless the board support. current boards doesn't and hence you cant.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
i mean , when the games demand for more than 8gb while *playing*, then upgrade. for the current gen games, upgrade is not absolutely necessary.
you cant mix dd3 and ddr2 modules unless the board support. current boards doesn't and hence you cant.

OK thanks I'll upgrade later then.

- - - Updated - - -

OK I tried by taking out some RAM from my other laptop. 12 GB RAM and no difference in game play of Crysis 3. I think I'mma restore that 4 GB in the other laptop as it has become slow now.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
OK thanks I'll upgrade later then.

- - - Updated - - -

OK I tried by taking out some RAM from my other laptop. 12 GB RAM and no difference in game play of Crysis 3. I think I'mma restore that 4 GB in the other laptop as it has become slow now.

it is the cpu+gpu combo which plays a critical role in gaming, not the ram. you just need enough ram. Higher ram doesn't bring any miracles.

Top Bottom