133/226mhz Ram mixed in one comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Off late I read somewhere that one should not mix the 2 different speed ram else te faster ram also works slower to make use of the slower ram, so I checked all the specs of my mother board FSB & the ram installed with a software "CPUz".

My Centrino laptop is 400 FSB & has 1 stick 128 mb -133mhz & another stick I bought kingston 512/400mhz but that too shows as running 133mhz (so my doubt confirms)
Should I remove the 128 stick, will the 512 ram work then faster?

My desktop is 845GLAD supports 266mhz RAM but has presently installed 512mb-133mhz, now I plan to upgrade to 1gb.
Should I buy 512mb x2 sticks of 333mhz (266 not available anymore) or 1gb single stick. That artical said that instead of 1 stick, 2 sticks are better, is that true?

Ranjan

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Yes one stick or 2 sticks i.e 512 X1 or 512 X2 does not matter in singal channel mode.In dual channel mode u can actually double up the speed,so 512(333 Mhz) X2 (in dual chan.) would work at 666 Mhz.
I don't think u have a dual channel memory controller so go for a 1 gig 333 Mhz module but it will work at a speed which the mem controller supports......

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I know that the 333 will work max at 266 mhz, how can I find if intel 845 glad is single channel or dual channel.

What about the laptop, will removing the slower ram improve the performance of 400 mhz ram?

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Yes remove the slower ram ie 133 MHZ and just use the 512MB stick which will run at 266MhZ.

To find out if ur mobo supports dual channel memory go the the company's website or check it out ur self from softwares such as CPUz/Sisoft Sandra/Everest etc..

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
*support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845glad/sb/CS-008720.htm

Thats the link to my mb-memory info, it say that it uses DDR ram is that dual channel, I cant make out, if you can help please.
This one is the other detailed page
*support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845glad/

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
ranjan2001 said:
*support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845glad/sb/CS-008720.htm

Thats the link to my mb-memory info, it say that it uses DDR ram is that dual channel, I cant make out, if you can help please.
This one is the other detailed page
*support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845glad/
Nope.....ur mobo does not have a dual channel memory controller.....and u already have a 512 MB ram stick so get another 512 MB ram stick...that will save u money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom