Your favorite feature in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
If I type fdisk -l, I only get my sda drive being recognized...no sdb...

Manual mounting won't work in this case will it?

vish786

"The Gentleman"
if ur pluggin ur drive in front panel usb port then i will not detect ur drive.

and manual mounting works by chance ur parititions r not automounted.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gx_saurav said:
This makes sense but here is the thing, why is it that OSS Knoppix does this automatically but not Ubuntu? Why do I need to learn it for Ubuntu? thats the question
I have answered it 'n^n' times but let me do so again.
Ubuntu => Distributed by Canonical => A Business Organisation => Legal Enitity => Operates in UK

Knoppix => Created by Community => Not a legal entity => Operates in and around Germany

Laws reguarding IP and OSS favour much more towards IP in UK, whereas when it comes to most of the others European Countries especially EU are much more oriented towards protecting their own rights.

NTFS => Patented by MS => Cannot be distributed without legal consent of MS

It would be very easy for MS to sue Canonical then even think of suing Klaus Knopper, who's just an ordinary citizen.
Thus, the chances of MS being able to do anything to Knoppix is next to nil for the above mentioned reasons. Thus, it's much easier for Knoppix to bundle NTFS write support and not so for Canonical.

faraaz said:
@infra_red_dude: Yeah...I mean, this isn't Windows update is it? ;) Very safe, reliable and above all...quick! So I figured why not?
Well I tend to disagree. It's software and some unfortunate bugs can creep in. I do remember once, I had asked harsh to try some workaround method to login as root. That required to kill the xserver. And it wouldn't start again at all. Poor me had to take all the blame till the time kalpik came to his rescue and showed that it wasn't my fault but a bug in the update, but that was corrected within 24hrs nonetheless.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
@faraaz: U aint got the point! Do not post output just like that. 'dmesg' briefs bt the devices attached/found. So all that stuff u posted is bt ur system. Wheneva u attach a new device like pen drive the system writes more info and u get it via dmesg.

So check dmesg. Insert ur usb hdd drive and then check the dmesg again. The last lines that u find new are the exact ones for usb drive. From there u get the device i.e sda,sdb etc. Post that instead or post the dmesg stuff after u have inserted ur usb hdd drive!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@faraaz

Woopsie!!! There are some errors:
[ 5.336000] usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
[ 5.448000] usb 5-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71

[ 5.664000] usb 5-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 5.880000] usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
[ 5.992000] usb 5-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 6.208000] usb 5-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 6.424000] usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
[ 6.832000] usb 5-6: device not accepting address 5, error -71
[ 6.944000] usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
[ 7.352000] usb 5-6: device not accepting address 6, error -71
I haf no idea what the errors mean, but I haf a gut feeling that this is your external USB-SATA HDD.

Btw, this doesn't look like your Laptop.

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@infra_red_dude, mediator: Sorry about that...I'm not too savvy with all the advanced forum stuff...nor with dmesg...

Infra_red, why you say that doesnt look like my laptop?? I assure you its an Inspiron 9100, config is 3.2 GHz P4 with 1 GB RAM, 160 GB WD HDD, 256 MB Radeon 9800 and some other stuff...I'd picked it up in 2005...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hey faraaz can you do this? Get another Live distro and boot it off the CD. Now see if the external disk is recognised or not.

Oh, actually I was thinking on these lines that since you recently left for Zurich and had said that you got a new laptop I thot that this one is not yours (Since now no P4 based laptops are available).

vish786

"The Gentleman"
yes that happened with me too... right now i can access all my partitions in windows, but fedora just detects the drive sdb, but cannot display/detect partitions

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Okay to update...I removed the usb, typed dmesg, plugged in the usb...and was going to type dmesg again, when it popped up messages saying NTFS drive could not be mounted because of unclean shutdown! This was my external drive!

So obviously I shut down Linux, restarted in Windows...shut that down properly, then started up Linux again....but now even if I plug it in and out, it is not being recognized... :(

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
mehulved said:
Well I tend to disagree. It's software and some unfortunate bugs can creep in. I do remember once, I had asked harsh to try some workaround method to login as root. That required to kill the xserver. And it wouldn't start again at all. Poor me had to take all the blame till the time kalpik came to his rescue and showed that it wasn't my fault but a bug in the update, but that was corrected within 24hrs nonetheless.

yupp..i too was there, it was 3am in morning....kalpik helping harsh, i junking the IRC and then again harsh lost the command given by kalpik becuase of channel flooding(he was on cmd line that time so no scroll back lost once is lost forever), kalpik giving it again again, you playing some stupid songs on amorak:p :p :D :D :D
:lol: :lol:.

but that happened a year and didn't occur since then:rolleyes:
touch wood:D

faraaz said:
Okay to update...I removed the usb, typed dmesg, plugged in the usb...and was going to type dmesg again, when it popped up messages saying NTFS drive could not be mounted because of unclean shutdown! This was my external drive!

So obviously I shut down Linux, restarted in Windows...shut that down properly, then started up Linux again....but now even if I plug it in and out, it is not being recognized... :(
Use ntfsfix for correct it unless you use vista

Last edited:
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Okay, sorry to sound stupid but what is ntfsfix and where do I find it and how do I use it? I can't even see the HDDs in fdisk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom