Your favorite feature in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
gx_saurav said:
Wait, can I install applications while running a LiveCD?

& You already know I have a problem memorising 10 or more commands :p

I will try knoppix
Of course you can install applications while running Live CD! :)

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Well faraz bro.. why have you installed Beta ver. :? Gusty final will be out soon .. on 18 :p Nice features none the less knew all of em :p

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@Dark Star: Two reasons....

1) My windows installation crashed and I needed access to my computer immediately...I thought of doing a Feisty installation again...but it was too much work, and Gutsy had been on my mind for a while. Downloading the ISO on my university network took me ten minutes anyway...

2) I was told that Gutsy supports my university printer and I wanted to see if it was true! Couldn't wait...besides, you realise that updating from Beta version is not a problem for me?? I downloaded 500 MB of updates last night...and that took 8 mins exactly... :) I love Swiss broadband...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mehulved said:
Please don't degrade knoppix this way.

Why waste my time learning something when I can simply use something simple to recover my files when all I have in my head is the tension of recovering file. At this point learning commands & searching for them on the net is the last thing i wanna do.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ You mean you never learnt anything?? I guess you were born with a completely automatic recovery CD in your hand when you were born, gifted by God! :D :D

Stop trolling, dude!

gx_saurav said:
Why waste my time learning something when I can simply use something simple to recover my files when all I have in my head is the tension of recovering file. At this point learning commands & searching for them on the net is the last thing i wanna do.
When its an important file to be recovered, believe me people will even kiss the arse of a monkey to get the file back!!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Dark Star said:
Well faraz bro.. why have you installed Beta ver. :? Gusty final will be out soon .. on 18 :p Nice features none the less knew all of em :p
Gutsy's code has been more or less upto release stage except for a few more security and bug fixes. So, it's all fine to download it 10-15 days before the release. But, it could just be that if you're unfortunate enough you may hit a nasty bug.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
infra_red_dude said:
^^^ You mean you never learnt anything?? I guess you were born with a completely automatic recovery CD in your hand when you were born, gifted by God! :D :D

The only thing i learned out of the box in this world is flirting & my verbal skills :D & that even I will brag about.

When its an important file to be recovered, believe me people will even kiss the arse of a monkey to get the file back!!

This makes sense but here is the thing, why is it that OSS Knoppix does this automatically but not Ubuntu? Why do I need to learn it for Ubuntu? thats the question

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Cause Ubuntu was never meant to be enjoyed Live. It's just there so the user can get a feel of it pre/during-install.

Install Ubuntu and you can see it auto mounted and ready. Live is not built for that.

Knoppix on the other hand crams as much feature live it can cause its aim is different than Canonical. It aims to be a portable distribution, unlike Ubuntu which aims to be a Desktop OS. Now if you really wanna continue this off-topic discussion, start a new thread and we'd only be glad to own you, yet again.

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@QwertyManiac: I used boot switches to load Ubuntu to RAM and then downloaded and burnt the Gutsy ISO off the Feisty Live CD after my computer's Windows had crashed... ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
why is it that OSS Knoppix does this automatically but not Ubuntu? Why do I need to learn it for Ubuntu? thats the question
Becoz Ubuntu is not bound neither oblieged to do it automatically. It neither gains anything nor loses anything. No law states that NTFS drives should be mounted automatically upon booting otherwise the distro will be ostracised!

Its their choice, they don't wanna do it. Simple. If it were ext2 or xfs etc., then the there would be some strength in the argument as to why it doesn't do it. But its NTFS. So no one's bothered about it and its not an issue.

Btw, you don't need to LEARN anything to do that!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
QwertyManiac said:
Cause Ubuntu was never meant to be enjoyed Live. It's just there so the user can get a feel of it pre/during-install.

Fine then I will top using Ubuntu as I use Linux only for recovery purpose here. Knoppix here I come.

Although Windows XP BartPE......:rolleyes:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Fine then I will top using Ubuntu as I use Linux only for recovery purpose here. Knoppix here I come.

Although Windows XP BartPE......:rolleyes:
Lolz... this is funny. You wanna use Windows all the while and when its screwed you blame a certain Linux Distro for not providing features out of the box to recover windows!!! :D This is really funny!

For recovery purposes any Live CD Linux distro is the best, at least in my case. BartPE hasn't worked all the times for me. I haf a pair or recovery CD set. One is a Live Linux CD, another one is a self made Recovery CD containing BartPE (with XPE and lotsa other addons, drivers), *****'s Boot CD and Ultimate Boot CD all integrated into onto one CD using ISOLinux.

Btw, Faraaz uptill today you are safe with the Beta. I don't think there's gonna be much difference in it and the final release. Not many issues haf come up. Rather none. But you can just upgrade the distro when Gusty final is released :) The time it'd take for you would be peanuts to download and upgrade!

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@infra_red_dude: Yeah...I mean, this isn't Windows update is it? ;) Very safe, reliable and above all...quick! So I figured why not?

PS: Does anyone know how I can use a USB based IDE External hard drive in Linux?

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
See...its my internal SATA Western Digital 300 GB HDD, which I removed to take with me to Switzerland. I bought a casing which came with a Sata to USB chip. So anyway, when I plug it into my lappy with Windows, it is auto-recognized, but in Ubuntu...it just doesn't show at all!

So that's why I was asking...

mediator

Technomancer
Mount it like u usually mount ur usb manually to check and when u have done it, append the following line to ur /etc/fstab

Code:
/dev/sda1            /media/usb_sda1                  vfat    exec,user,noauto 0 0
replace "sda1" as per ur system configuration!! U can use "dmesg" to find out what device has been detected. And finally add the "disk mounter" applet to gnome-panel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom