Windows Firewall... How many of you use it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
how many of you use windows firewall???
ANd does it create any sort of speed differential if someone is not using it and downloading torrents?

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
On this computer I do have win firewall on, and to my knowledge doesn't affect my downloads (mind you it's windows firewall), my other computer I can't get it to turn on, corrupt files (Guess who's gonna format soon!), and it downloads just the same in my opinion. When I had Nortons yeah that affected it big time... But Norton has always been known as a resource hog!

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
how many of you use windows firewall???
ANd does it create any sort of speed differential if someone is not using it and downloading torrents?

I use it. And no, it doesn't really affect torrent d/l speeds since you essentially unblock the ports used by your torrent client ~

g_goyal2000

Youngling
I've been using Zonealarm ever since it got out.
So that pretty much means have been using it for 6-7 years.
And no, I don't use Windows Firewall. Have disabled it from services.msc.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Windows Firewall not a pro stuff but its good enough....

I am using it along side with NOD32 AVS...

:)

But when Stuff like Zone alarm comes free... :p its not Recomended for sure....

janitha

Wise Old Owl
g_goyal2000 said:
I've been using Zonealarm ever since it got out.
So that pretty much means have been using it for 6-7 years.
And no, I don't use Windows Firewall. Have disabled it from services.msc.

Almost exactly same in my case.

No effect untill you add port ur torrent client requires as an exception in windows firewall. Dont go for resource hungry zone alarm .Windows firewall in XP SP2 is OK if u prefer very good downloading speeds.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Choto Cheeta said:
Windows Firewall not a pro stuff but its good enough....

I am using it along side with NOD32 AVS...

:)

But when Stuff like Zone alarm comes free... :p its not Recomended for sure....
me too using vista firewall wid a small app called "vista firewall control". it allows more control over the in built firewall. windows firewall is just like a gate. when its open it allows traffic in and when its closed it blocks. so either it allows or blocks. no question of slowing down...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Well many missed the picture...

What I said was, When Stuff like Zone Alarm is available free, and if one know to configure Zone Alarm, why would he / she stick to Windows Vista IFC ??

certainly, Vista Firewall is better than XP in many times, but once again, will it compete with ZA ??

and the question, when ZA comes free why I would recomend one user (who knows whats Firewall is) to use Windows IFC ??

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
I use ZA
b4 za i use windows firewall
but it doesnt make any difference while d.w either firewall is on or off

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ok one lesser known fact... if you are using an a/dsl connection wid an always on connection (meaning the a/dsl equipments works in autodial mode and works as a router) then windows vista firewall + vista firewall control will suffice. the router has packet filtering and firewall capabilities built into it. that handles and DoS attacks and similar threats.

regarding monitoring the incoming and out going connections, vista firewall control alerts you of any such kind of activity. tho i must say xp firewall is not sufficient as it is one way.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
infra_red_dude said:
ok one lesser known fact... if you are using an a/dsl connection wid an always on connection (meaning the a/dsl equipments works in autodial mode and works as a router) then windows vista firewall + vista firewall control will suffice. the router has packet filtering and firewall capabilities built into it. that handles and DoS attacks and similar threats.

regarding monitoring the incoming and out going connections, vista firewall control alerts you of any such kind of activity. tho i must say xp firewall is not sufficient as it is one way.

Pl elaborate. What if it is not an always on connection?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
janitha said:
Pl elaborate. What if it is not an always on connection?
if its not an always on connection (ie pppoe .. you dial to get connected) then the adsl cpe works in the modem mode and ur computer is transparent to the net. you will need good software firewall to prevent threats. the cpe builtin firewall will not fully protect you.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
infra_red_dude said:
if its not an always on connection (ie pppoe .. you dial to get connected) then the adsl cpe works in the modem mode and ur computer is transparent to the net. you will need good software firewall to prevent threats. the cpe builtin firewall will not fully protect you.

Is it possible with BSNL dataone modem? If so, how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom