Windows Firewall... How many of you use it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
janitha said:
Is it possible with BSNL dataone modem? If so, how to?
yeah the bsnl dataone cpe works in router mode when in autodial mode and provides packet filtering. but to monitor incoming and outgoing connections you'll still need a basic firewall.

the proc. to do it for ur bsnl cpe varies a bit from model to model. so search here or on the net indicating ur cpe model number, the procedure is available.... also be aware that when not using it (if u are on a capped connection) you'll need to power off the modem to get disconnected from the net.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
infra_red_dude said:
if you are using an a/dsl connection wid an always on connection (meaning the a/dsl equipments works in autodial mode and works as a router) then windows vista firewall + vista firewall control will suffice. the router has packet filtering and firewall capabilities built into it. that handles and DoS attacks and similar threats.
Well, u have to enable the firewall built in the router. By default, it's off.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i dunno abt other modems but for my mt800 it was on by default. but it (or any other cpe) needs to work in router mode for packet filtering

g_goyal2000

Youngling
janitha said:
Mine is Smartax MT882. How to enable the firewall?
Sorry, I don't know anything about Smartax MT882 router.
If your router assigns your computer an IP address like 192.168.1.1, then try entring the 'Default Gateway' address in your browser. For 'Default Gateway' address, open your connection status (while on), click support tab & click details & note down the default gateway address.
It will (or may not) open the configuration settings page of your router. Look for WAN tab in there. There should be a setting for firewall with OFF & NO as options. Set it on ON. Save the settings. If it asks you to restart the router, then shut off the router & restart it.
Check again if the setting has been set.
Mind you, if enable the hardware firewall, your net connection may have problems due to incompatibility of protocols with server.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
infra_red_dude said:
all the bsnl cpes i've seen till now haf firewall activated by default.
MTNL gives with firewall as off by default. But I keep it on.

janitha said:
But mine is BSNL's Smartax MT882. How to know whether its firewall is enabled?
Dude, read my previous post.

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
g_goyal2000 said:
MTNL gives with firewall as off by default. But I keep it on.

Dude, read my previous post.

Can the default setting of the firewall be restored by using the rest button? Is there any risk in doing so?
The Server IP is 59.93.32.1 and Client IP is 59.93.34.149.There is no support tab or default gateway in the status or properties. There is no WAN setting but there is settings for windows firewall only.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
janitha said:
Can the default setting of the firewall be restored by using the rest button? Is there any risk in doing so?
The Server IP is 59.93.32.1 and Client IP is 59.93.34.149.There is no support tab or default gateway in the status or properties. There is no WAN setting but there is settings for windows firewall only.
Contact your broadband provider & ask them how to activate firewall in your modem/router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom