Windows Explorer vs Mac OS X Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^ lolz...yeah, replacing dll revart anything back in Windows. :D But we can't blame Apple here, it is in't Macintosh, its hackintosh.

I m waiting for zeeshan to mail me the files.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I've been sick for the past few days - so much, in fact, that I had to return to Siliguri for a few days (a few days of parental affection is always recommended by the doctor ;)) and that is why I haven't been active around these parts. It's nice to see that gx_saurav has been particularly loquacious lately about how I supposedly do not deserve a Macintosh just because I bought it off my father's money. Keep the jealousy aside for a bit, buddy. My father has always insisted that I should buy absolutely the best product available in any category. If he cannot afford it, he won't allow me to buy something inferior instead - I just cannot have the product. At the age of eighteen, when I'm fresh out of school, I don't know any honest method of making 1.5 lac bucks and I am sure that when you were my age, you did not have a lot of self-earned money either (apart from the pick-pocketing).

As for not buying Macs when I start earning myself, let me assure you this (as goobimama has already said) that every computer I buy in the future will be a Mac, unless Apple's standard falls afters Jobs' reign comes to an end. Not only that, I am almost sure that if I buy a product from a category that Apple competes in, I'll always opt for Apple's product (the iPhone is a shining example). And I am very sure that your dear friend goobimama will do the same.

I've no idea what I just typed and I beg everyone's pardon (except gx_saurav's) if I am posting something offensive. I have a headache right now and I am not thinking clearly. The spiteful (not to mention, jealous) posts from gx_saurav infuriated me and I felt the need to post. It is the damn headache. Bye!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
What!!!! the flaws posted made u ill :D

the best remedy for u is go get urself a normal pc with vista :D

how posting about the new flaws found :D ... or rather dont ... reading new flaws would increase ur headache

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
I've been sick for the past few days - so much, in fact, that I had to return to Siliguri for a few days (a few days of parental affection is always recommended by the doctor ;)) and that is why I haven't been active around these parts. It's nice to see that gx_saurav has been particularly loquacious lately about how I supposedly do not deserve a Macintosh just because I bought it off my father's money. Keep the jealousy aside for a bit, buddy. My father has always insisted that I should buy absolutely the best product available in any category. If he cannot afford it, he won't allow me to buy something inferior instead - I just cannot have the product. At the age of eighteen, when I'm fresh out of school, I don't know any honest method of making 1.5 lac bucks and I am sure that when you were my age, you did not have a lot of self-earned money either (apart from the pick-pocketing).

Not much, by the time I was 18...I had My own cycle bought from my own money + my Own current P4 computer

By the time i was 20 I paid 40k for my Unicorn...out of 56k. Rest dad paid.

hmm....not braging...its just that I know the value of my hard earned money.

goobimama

 Macboy
By the time i was 20 I paid 40k for my Unicorn
For someone who doesn't know that a bike named Unicorn exists, this would be a particularly interesting statement...

Btw, why did you go in for a unicorn when a CD100 would have done? That's what you normally do in the "computing" world eh!

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I can make a list of the flaws of the Finder here:
1 ) Finder has no Cut option.
2 ) Finder has no address bar.
3 ) Finder has no breadcrumb bar.
4 ) Finder has no option to show just a particular file type in Viewport.
5 ) Finder has no custom icon spacing.
6 ) You cannot resize any windows from any side. Just the south west
7 ) It does not show full file path, so yo have to manually switch view in finder and then go all the way to the root to see where the file is present.
8 )Unability to hide particular filetypes.
9) Does not show live previews of windows when using Command + Tab.
10) Does not allow you to revert to previous versions of files.
11) Has no selection checkboxes for difficult selection.
12) The maximum icon size in Tiger running on a 20" display with resolution of 1600X1200 is 128X128. The maximum size of Vista Icons on a 20" or 24" display with resolution of 1600X1200 or beyond that is 256X256 with font size up to 72 pixel.
13) In Windwos Explorer, I can simply right click on an image & select "Set as desktop background". Done. In Finder there is no such way. You have to either go to control panel & from there change or right click on the desktop & select "Change desktop background". Then give the folder path & select the image to set as wallpaper.
14) Column view goes back one folder at a time, this means you cannot jump 5 folder back directly. However in tree view of Explorer, you can go from anywhere to anywhere using the tree navigation. You don't even need to open the multiple windows.

gx_saurav, you really need to learn something about OS X before you start making comparisons; much of what you post here is simply uninformed.

Given your previous posts, I was tempted to ignore this one, but then I realized that other readers might benefit from reading solutions to your "problems" with the Finder.

Things from your list in which the Finder differs from Explorer based on philosophical differences in interface design (i.e., not "better" vs. "worse"):
1) Finder has no Cut option.
5) Finder has no custom icon spacing.
6) You cannot resize any windows from any side. Just the south west
11) Has no selection checkboxes for difficult selection.

Things from your list that show you simply aren't familiar with OS X:
2) Finder has no address bar.
Choose Go -> Go to Folder (or press Shift+Command+G) and then type in the path/address to a file. Quite similar, although in the Finder this little-used feature doesn't clutter up the window; it appears only when you need it.

3) Finder has no breadcrumb bar.
By adding the Path item to Finder-window toolbars, you get the same functionality: you can see the full path to the current folder and quickly switch to any point in that path. (You can also Command+click on the folder icon in the title bar of any Finder window for similar functionality.)

4) Finder has no option to show just a particular file type in Viewport.
The Finder's approach to this is to use Smart Folders, which let you filter files, for example, by file type.

7) It does not show full file path, so yo have to manually switch view in finder and then go all the way to the root to see where the file is present.
See #3, above.

That's what Expose is for, and its live previews are much more useful. In this respect, I think OS X is more flexible than Windows, as it gives you a number of options for switching between apps and Windows.

13) In Windwos Explorer, I can simply right click on an image & select "Set as desktop background". Done. In Finder there is no such way. You have to either go to control panel & from there change or right click on the desktop & select "Change desktop background". Then give the folder path & select the image to set as wallpaper.
Leopard gives you the ability to set any image as the Desktop via right-click. That said, you're making this sound much more difficult than it really is. You can simply drag any image into the Desktop preference pane.

14) Column view goes back one folder at a time, this means you cannot jump 5 folder back directly. However in tree view of Explorer, you can go from anywhere to anywhere using the tree navigation. You don't even need to open the multiple windows.
You can just move the scroll bar to the left to go back as many levels as you want. Similarly, with the Path item noted above, you can choose the level to which you want to go. If you still like the "tree" approach, there are several utilities out there that let you navigate this way, as well. You're really stretching here.

Things from your list that actually have some validity:
8 ) Unability to hide particular filetypes.
To some extent, sure, although I'm not sure how useful such a feature really is to most users, especially on the Mac. (And the Finder does have several ways to hide files.)

10) Does not allow you to revert to previous versions of files.
This is actually a backup feature rather than an Explorer/Finder feature; if you're using a good backup app, you can do this on any platform. That said, it's good when it's built into the OS (as will also be the case in OS X come Leopard).

12) The maximum icon size in Tiger running on a 20" display with resolution of 1600X1200 is 128X128. The maximum size of Vista Icons on a 20" or 24" display with resolution of 1600X1200 or beyond that is 256X256 with font size up to 72 pixel.
You win. We should switch to Windows just so we can have big-ass icons in Explorer ;) I mean, seriously, if this is one of Explorer's major advantages over the Finder, I think Mac users are okay with that.

(On a serious note, this is an arbitrary limit Apple put in place because they apparently felt larger sizes look cluttered. I just edited the Finder's preference file and now my icons are 512x512 with a font size of 96 ;) )

gx_saurav said:
Both Explorer & Finder cater to the need of File management, it's just that Explorer is Kick ass & highly extendable.
Or it could be that you just don't know much about OS X and instead of learning more about how things are done you post these uninformed "comparisons". People might take you more seriously -- and not dismiss you as a troll -- if you did a bit of homework first.

Hopefully, some people reading along got a few useful tips out of this post...

Last edited:

The other one
goobimama said:
For someone who doesn't know that a bike named Unicorn exists, this would be a particularly interesting statement...

Haha, roflol.
Reminds me of the simpsons episode when Lisa got her Pony , Saurav got his unicorn :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
why do mac boys constantly wanna show their naivety

nep said:
Things from your list in which the Finder differs from Explorer based on philosophical differences in interface design (i.e., not "better" vs. "worse"):
how dumb can 1 get :? nep what crap are u talking philosophical and all .... dude its not there its not there its a drawback, shortcoming, flaw call it what ever u want to philosophical differences in interface

the option of cut is a theory :? when did cutting a file become philosophy .... neps post give me a lot of hope coz he constantly goes on proving with his statements that santa and banta arent the dumbest lot ;)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:

Btw, why did you go in for a unicorn when a CD100 would have done? That's what you normally do in the "computing" world eh!

Nah, gals don't like CD100. Besides, I prefer spending more on real life then computers. Whose gonna buy a 1.5lakh Laptop :p. Remember "Real Life is better"

nepcker said:
2) Finder has no address bar.
Choose Go -> Go to Folder (or press Shift+Command+G) and then type in the path/address to a file. Quite similar, although in the Finder this little-used feature doesn't clutter up the window; it appears only when you need it.

Right, you do that & tell me if it shows where I am right now in Finder. I can't even copy paste the current address somewhere like this.

3) Finder has no breadcrumb bar.
By adding the Path item to Finder-window toolbars, you get the same functionality: you can see the full path to the current folder and quickly switch to any point in that path. (You can also Command+click on the folder icon in the title bar of any Finder window for similar functionality.)

:D You call that breadcrumbbar, I call that "Back to folder" Functioning.

4) Finder has no option to show just a particular file type in Viewport.
The Finder's approach to this is to use Smart Folders, which let you filter files, for example, by file type.

Windows Explorer has Smart folders & specific file search.

That's what Expose is for, and its live previews are much more useful. In this respect, I think OS X is more flexible than Windows, as it gives you a number of options for switching between apps and Windows.

You also think Mac is cheap. :D...Well your opinion is subjective

Leopard gives you the ability to set any image as the Desktop via right-click. That said, you're making this sound much more difficult than it really is. You can simply drag any image into the Desktop preference pane.

Leopard? How can I comment on a product which is not even out. In this case even Windows 7 will have direct install to brain functionality :D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
Spot on. I cannot wait to hear the answer to this one. :D

nepcker said:
You win. We should switch to Windows just so we can have big-ass icons in Explorer
LOL! Looks like someone got their sense of humour back! :lol: Awesome post. :)

gx_saurav said:
Nah, gals don't like CD100. Besides, I prefer spending more on real life then computers. Whose gonna buy a 1.5lakh Laptop :p. Remember "Real Life is better"
Oh, and buying a computer is somehow different from buying a bike? Spending on a computer is not part of this "real life" of yours? LOL!
BTW, girls don't choose guys based on what bikes they ride. And they dig Macs more than they do a Honda Unicorn. :lol:

(I know I may be wrong about this but you have no means of proving your point either.)

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Oh, and buying a computer is somehow different from buying a bike? Spending on a computer is not part of this "real life" of yours? LOL!
BTW, girls don't choose guys based on what bikes they ride. And they dig Macs more than they do a Honda Unicorn. :lol:

Lolz...you such a boy. No really, completely ignorant & nascent in life.:D

I know gals just don't like boys on the basis of the bike they drive, but if I buy a Rs 1.5 lakh Laptop the first question she will ask "Whats so special in it? why is it worth Rs 1.5lkh, just for white colour?"

(I know I may be wrong about this but you have no means of proving your point either.)

Yup you are wrong & yup I have means to prove my statement. Just do some history research & you will come to know.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
WOW! That was some hard evidence. It is so completely proved now. LOL!

gx_saurav said:
I know gals just don't like boys on the basis of the bike they drive, but if I buy a Rs 1.5 lakh Laptop the first question she will ask "Whats so special in it? why is it worth Rs 1.5lkh, just for white colour?"
You know, the first comment I hear when people see my notebook for the first time is, "dekh ke hi mehnga lagta hai!" And then, if they are technologically inclined, I proceed to show them Mac OS X, which only serves to wow them more. Of course, most people I know come under the Homo Sapiens category, which might not be true in your case!

What does "nascent in life" mean anyway and where did you pull it out off? It sure smells sour. :lol:

Ha! Ha! This discussion is fun. What is a technology forum without a good, mostly meaningless Mac vs. Windows thread or two!

goobimama

 Macboy

Doesn't make sense to me. If you seriously want a girl to like you on the basis of something that you own, then its a very very poor thought. I haven't mentioned the iMac to even one of my girl friends. Sure when they come over they fuss over it and play around with photo booth and such :). Though I think the Small Cat gives it a lot of competition in terms of 'girl attention'.

I never mention the price though cause they never ask...The small cat though is free...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
WOW! That was some hard evidence. It is so completely proved now. LOL!

You know, the first comment I hear when people see my notebook for the first time is, "dekh ke hi mehnga lagta hai!" And then, if they are technologically inclined, I proceed to show them Mac OS X, which only serves to wow them more
those guys who consider technically inclined are only technically inclined not technically knowledgabel ;)

goobimama

 Macboy
Technologically inclined means someone who has some interest in technology. And those who are interested in technology are very very interested in the mac... Technologically knowledgeable are those know claim to know everything (I wonder who :Chin scratching smiley:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom