Win 7 OS for students?

Tech&ME

Banned
:( It means my dream is shattered. It can't even run on 32-bit dual core processors?

u can run only 32 bit version of ANY OS only

eg win 7 32bit
XP 32 bit
server 32 bit
ubuntu 32 etc ............

to run 64 bit os u need processor which support 64 bit instruction

I understand. MS was so lazy so as to make only the 64-bit edition of WS 2008 R2. Damn!

You can still download Windows Server 2008 x86 (32 bit version) from DreamSpark and convert it.

Just see it carefully in the DreamSpark SERVER page, you will see 2 listings for windows server 2008 next to each other.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
You can still download Windows Server 2008 x86 (32 bit version) from DreamSpark and convert it.

Just see it carefully in the DreamSpark SERVER page, you will see 2 listings for windows server 2008 next to each other.

Yup. I know. I was just thinking about that. Thanks buddy!
BTW will Windows Server 2008 have the look and feel of Windows 7 when I strip it down?

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Yup. I know. I was just thinking about that. Thanks buddy!
BTW will Windows Server 2008 have the look and feel of Windows 7 when I strip it down?

Yes and No.
Windows Server 2008 = Windows Vista look and feel
Windows Server 2008 R2 = Windows 7 look and feel

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Resource hogger !! NO NO.

In fact it is better then windows 7.

Cool. Then I would be replacing my XP with it...
Does anyone have any idea what disk space WS 2008 will take? The site says 20GB or more (Non-foundation) and 10GB or more (Foundation) but I don't know what foundation and non-foundation are...

Last edited:

Rajesh345

Youngling
Cool. Then I would be replacing my XP with it...
Does anyone have any idea what disk space WS 2008 will take? The site says 20GB or more (Non-foundation) and 10GB or more (Foundation) but I don't know what foundation and non-foundation are...

*img842.imageshack.us/img842/1482/69857909.jpg

installed 1 hr back

note : yet to install desktop experience form server manager [desktop exp include aero , wmp etc]
note 2 : i did VHD install [install win server on .VHD file ] so i can backup this 20GB file and restore win 2k08Rc2 os to orginal state in minutes /Delete Os completely (delete vhd file ) etc

so not sure if vhd boot and normal install consume diff disk space, but i think both use same

Last edited:

Tech&ME

Banned
^^ Yes he is right.

But I would like to suggest you to have atleast 60 or 80 GB dedicated to OS drive.
Why ? b'coz you will need to install additional components like desktop experience, and some softwares / games etc.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
But I would like to suggest you to have atleast 60 or 80 GB dedicated to OS drive.
Why ? b'coz you will need to install additional components like desktop experience, and some softwares / games etc.

Buddy, I just have a 80GB HD (see my signature). So I have reserved about 21 GB for the OS. I won't be gaming on high (just 1 or 2 games [light ones]). I am just worried about the softwares, if they will be compatible or not...

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
You'll struggle with 20GB. 30 GB is the minimum I recommend. My Server 2008 Installation is only used for games with little software installed and with just 2.5GB space remaining from 20GB.

Tech&ME

Banned
Buddy, I just have a 80GB HD (see my signature). So I have reserved about 21 GB for the OS. I won't be gaming on high (just 1 or 2 games [light ones]). I am just worried about the softwares, if they will be compatible or not...

Yes !! don't worry 25 GB will be more than enough for you in that case.

My installation has used 30GB (with all the applications / updates/ SP1/ etc.)

Will put a screenshot in a minute.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Yes !! don't worry 25 GB will be more than enough for you in that case.
My installation has used 30GB (with all the applications / updates/ SP1/ etc.)
Will put a screenshot in a minute.
Thanks, for both. My 'program files' folder is just 1.5 GB.

Tech&ME

Banned
Here are the Pics of my Windows Server 2008 r2 x64 install.

With all the major software and updates included.
*i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m525/tech2me/softwareproperties.jpg

With all the softwares installed
*i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m525/tech2me/serverhdd.jpg

Last edited:

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Here are the Pics of my Windows Server 2008 r2 x64 install.

With all the major software and updates included.

*img34.imageshack.us/img34/8431/softwareproperties.th.jpg

With all the softwares installed
*img860.imageshack.us/img860/8413/serverhdd.th.jpg
Thanks. If I install WS 2008 32-bit then it'll take much less space and I'm not going to install Adobe (so -1 GB :p). So I guess 25 GB will be okay for me...
BTW how many updates were there?

Tech&ME

Banned
Are you downloading it right now ?

updates will be different for your system, but microsoft says SP2 for you will cost you about 350 MB, so think abt dedicating atleast 1 GB for updates atleast.

*www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/det...d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Are you downloading it right now ?

updates will be different for your system, but microsoft says SP2 for you will cost you about 350 MB, so think abt dedicating atleast 1 GB for updates atleast.

Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465)
Oh man. I just can't afford to download this much...

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
My stats are out:

*img860.imageshack.us/img860/314/ws2k8diskspace.jpg

Newly installed minimal WS 2008 SE with no updates, no softwares installed (only 1 LAN driver installed).
Installed in under 40 minutes.

What say?

Last edited:

Rajesh345

Youngling
My stats are out:

*img860.imageshack.us/img860/314/ws2k8diskspace.jpg

Newly installed minimal WS 2008 SE with no updates, no softwares installed (only 1 LAN driver installed).

What say?

8gb nice ,

for ur info : if u dont need aero , wmp then u can skilp desktop experience Feature

u can just install media player like VLC/wmpc etc