Why People Prefer Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
It took me days to find out how to hide a partition of a drive, still was not able to figure out even via Ubuntu Forum, their answers are kinda complicated for newbies.
Can you please tell us in how many days you found to hide partitions in Windows? Did you go to Disk Management utility on the day you got introduced to Windows?
And now you are telling you gave up on Ubuntu in just one day because you didn't get how to hide your partitions? :|

well I prefer and use Linux because it is open source.
Why waste 7K in purchasing a Windows when you can get a Linux for free.
Did you mean "FREE" instead of Open Source? o_O

yes i think so, Download Accelerators really Accelerates and that's the reason their are 1000s of people using IDM which is d best Download Accelerator.
On what basis you are telling that IDM is THE best download accelerator? How many other download accelerators did you use? Tried FDM ever?

+ their are 100s of people running all around google trying to find IDM for Linux (google search it you will get loads of threads for IDM for Linux)
What does it prove?

Well that can be considered as an excuse, i bet 95% of People using Windows at home are using the pirated version of Windows, even my College is using the Pirated Copy.
Agreed! Pirates!

I wonder do people using Linux ever like a GUI ??
Did you ever hear about Compiz? If not, search Youtube for "Compiz" and watch the videos.

I mean, Windows has Yahoo Messenger, MSN messenger with v good GUI but Linux has Pidgin.
And you don't like Pidgin's GUI, right?
Tell me one thing, what will you use; a software with very nice GUI which doesn't do much work versus a software with a okay GUI which does much more work than you would imagine?
Let me guess, what did you choose. You chose a software with nice GUI, right? Right?

Their are tons of similar things like that, the reason i said that i switched to Ubuntu because people praised it and i could last only for a day.
You expected to learn ALL of the Ubuntu functionality in a day? Oh man, come on.. give it a break. There is a thing called learning curve.

Talking about stability, my Windows 7 has not crashed seen months.
Aha.. I think people would say Linux is more stable that Windows. Did you hear it as Windows is not stable?

Quite offtopic, but I can surely see you have made up your mind against Linux just in a day. Buddy, be open to change. Be open to learn. :) Sorry if I seemed quite harsh. ;)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I very well understand difference between open source and free. When I mentioned price of Windows, I have to say free instead of open source.

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I very well understand difference between open source and free. When I mentioned price of Windows, I have to say free instead of open source.
If you think I am 16 year old, let me clear that for you because I am not. :)

LOL... Take it easy. Your sentence about Open source was followed by the price, thats why I asked. Because I can see many people here on TFD confused between Free and Open Source. :p

OP
S

sunzeal

Broken In
On what basis you are telling that IDM is THE best download accelerator? How many other download accelerators did you use? Tried FDM ever?

I am saying it on the basis of the user review.

I was not even using IDM from years, i used loads of Accelerators like DAP, Orbit etc etc i liked them until i used IDM.

IDM is a v good download mananger + v nice accelerator.

And you don't like Pidgin's GUI, right?
Tell me one thing, what will you use; a software with very nice GUI which doesn't do much work versus a software with a okay GUI which does much more work than you would imagine?
Let me guess, what did you choose. You chose a software with nice GUI, right? Right?

If you think Pidgin has better features than Yahoo Messenger, then, lemme say, You are Wrong.

You cannot PC-PC call, you cannot be invisible to few people, you cannot connect your YM status to FB, you cannot chat to FB people via Yahoo Messenger, you cannot video call (for yahoo), you don't have those nice audibles like in YM, you don't have those nice looking emotions, you cannot send SMS message to person.

Agreed! Pirates!

Doesn't matter much here.

Aha.. I think people would say Linux is more stable that Windows. Did you hear it as Windows is not stable?

Well, i said Windows 7 does not crash much, but XP and Vista do crash often, so in general we are regarding Windows as all type of Windows, so yeah Windows is not as stable as Linux.

Can you please tell us in how many days you found to hide partitions in Windows? Did you go to Disk Management utility on the day you got introduced to Windows?
And now you are telling you gave up on Ubuntu in just one day because you didn't get how to hide your partitions

Well , i used Windows when i was 8-9 and i was using Windows 95,98 than XP > Vista > 7.

I did learn alot about Windows, and talking about Partition (yeah it was v imp to hide 1 partition :p ) i went into Ubuntu Forums but answers were too detailed related to terminal stuff, even Google Didn't help on that.

Partitioning drive in 7 is just 1 minute work and even if i teach that to newbie he will learn it under 2 mins because of the GUI but in Ubuntu you have to open terminal and blah blah (i don't really understand what they really said).

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
LOL... Take it easy. Your sentence about Open source was followed by the price, thats why I asked. Because I can see many people here on TFD confused between Free and Open Source. :p
And even more are confused between Free(ware) and Free ;)

Partitioning drive in 7 is just 1 minute work and even if i teach that to newbie he will learn it under 2 mins because of the GUI but in Ubuntu you have to open terminal and blah blah (i don't really understand what they really said).
*www.aztcs.org/meeting_notes/winhardsig/harddrives/GPT2010-11-03/GPT2010-11-03_files/image046.jpg
*gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/screens/gparted_1_big.jpg

Erm...Next please.

And looks like the feature in Gnome to mount the partition is against usability, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
If you think Pidgin has better features than Yahoo Messenger, then, lemme say, You are Wrong.

You cannot PC-PC call, you cannot be invisible to few people, you cannot connect your YM status to FB, you cannot chat to FB people via Yahoo Messenger, you cannot video call (for yahoo), you don't have those nice audibles like in YM, you don't have those nice looking emotions, you cannot send SMS message to person.

Okay. Good. It seems you have not gone through the complete list of Pidgin features. Would you mind to go through it once please?

Pidgin (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if you thinks Pidgin is the only IM client, then, there is Empathy.
Empathy (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI, both supports multiple protocols including Yahoo!, XMPP (Google Talk, LiveJournal Talk, Gizmo5, Facebook, Nokia Ovi...), IRC, etc..

There is a huge software ecosystem behind Linux. Most of the softwares are designed to be do a specific task.

And for your partition hide thing, You could have used ntfs-config.

NTFS config

One more thing, instead of taking your frustration out on Linux, you could have asked for help in this forum as well. This forum has many el33t Linux g33ks to help.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, who uses Yahoo Messenger in Windows anyways?? Bloatware. Pidgin ftw in Windows too. I use Skype for voice when I have to.

Lastly, the GUI of Ubuntu is much easier to use than Windows. Partitioning while setup too.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
There's voice chat and video call with GTalk in Empathy as well, never used it since I don't have a headphone/webcam. I am not sure the same with Y!M but don't care about Yahoo.
Anyway there's GyachE for Y!M users, doesn't seem to be in development since 2007 but will probably work as well.
Similarly for MSN, you have Emesene.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
well i have 230 friends in Yahoo Messenger, and i am sure 99% of them are using YM other 1% might be using ebuddy etc.

Okay. I have more than 200 contacts in Yahoo!, more than 300 in GTalk, more than 400 in Facebook and I manages them all in single Pidgin window. And I don't give a sh!t what the hell others are using to chat with me.

Now, whats the point?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Okay. I have more than 200 contacts in Yahoo!, more than 300 in GTalk, more than 400 in Facebook and I manages them all in single Pidgin window. And I don't give a sh!t what the hell others are using to chat with me.

Now, whats the point?

Why you no understand that he might be using yahoo talk special features.

OP
S

sunzeal

Broken In

Now, whats the point

The point is i can do PC-PC calls and talk to each other, i start video calls, i Buzz, i send files, i start Photo Sharing, I play Multi-Player games, i send audibles, i send SMS to them directly from YM and their reply from phone i directly get in my YM Windows.

& i do that all with nice GUI unlike that of a crappy Pidgin GUI :|

That's the point.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The point is i can do PC-PC calls and talk to each other, i start video calls, i Buzz, i send files, i start Photo Sharing, I play Multi-Player games, i send audibles, i send SMS to them directly from YM and their reply from phone i directly get in my YM Windows.

That's the point.
Blame Yahoo for not having a Linux messenger.

Pidgin isn't Yahoo's software.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...

That's the point.

Okay. So, if your whole and sole communication is soooo much dependent on Yahoo!, better stick with it. :s

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blame Linux for not being popular.
Ubuntu Linux is still overall a better platform than Windows. So is Mac OS X.

Even Yahoo Messenger for Mac is very very buggy. I've used it too. I prefer Adium,

PS: I use all the three platforms day in and day out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom