Not open for further replies.

sunzeal

Broken In
Hi

The few reason why Linux lover say they prefer Linux over Windows is :

It is more Stable
Immune to Virus
Open Source

Does those thing makes Linux more better??

If you compare it with Windows 7 than you will see:-

Better GUI
Tons of Softwares
You virtually get any type of software in Windows

Well, i have seen people running all around to get Download Accelerators like IDM, etc etc to run on their Linux but why just don't they use Windows?

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
because it's so kawaii *i10.glitter-graphics.org/pub/815/815960egxvshwue2.gif

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Kl@w-24 : I guess you are right. ;)

@OP:
Why People Prefer Linux?
You mean why 1% of the people who use Linux (Source: OS market share news) do so?

Well, "immune to virus" has got nothing to do with it, IMO, since it comes down to which OS is more popular and have greater advantage for creating a virus.
The most important reason is I think, is that Linux is Open Source.

Krow

Crowman
Well, i have seen people running all around to get Download Accelerators like IDM, etc etc to run on their Linux but why just don't they use Windows?

One size does not fit all. :p

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Ubuntu because:

1) It is very easy to use.
2) I plug my hardware like printer/scanner/bluetooth dongle and it just works. No driver installation required.
3) I connected my Nokia 5800 once, and it immediately recognised it as a modem and connected me to the Internet.
4) No viruses.
5) More stable.

I personally use this in Arch linux + KDE: KDE - KGet - Download Manager

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Is that a trick question? There is Hanna Montana Linux. There is no Hanna Montana Windows :(

OP
S

sunzeal

Broken In
I connected my Nokia 5800 once, and it immediately recognised it as a modem and connected me to the Internet.

Well, you don't get an OVI suite for Linux, do you ?

It is very easy to use

It took me days to find out how to hide a partition of a drive, still was not able to figure out even via Ubuntu Forum, their answers are kinda complicated for newbies.

So fore newbies Windows is easy to use i guess as it does not involve more code stuff.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, you don't get an OVI suite for Linux, do you ?

It took me days to find out how to hide a partition of a drive, still was not able to figure out even via Ubuntu Forum, their answers are kinda complicated for newbies.

So fore newbies Windows is easy to use i guess as it does not involve more code stuff.
Nokia hasn't made any Ovi Suite for Linux. Bloatware anyways.

Would you be more clear about 'hiding a partition'?? :)

My father is a newbie. He finds Ubuntu easier to use than Windows. Just because Linux is different doesn't mean that it is difficult to use. And everything has its learning curve. To make the perfect judgement, use Ubuntu for some time as you have _only_ been using Windows since years. I hardly touch Command-line in Ubuntu, anyways.

J

Joker

yea..distros like ubuntu is so much easier to use these days.

then u have people who moan about linux partitioning when they are installing after windows. i will give an apples to apples comparison...ever tried installing windows after linux??? no windows setup wont allow u to easily do that and make things 10000x difficult.

Well, "immune to virus" has got nothing to do with it, IMO, since it comes down to which OS is more popular and have greater advantage for creating a virus.
linux still has a rocksolid base compared to flawed windows core. use it and u'll realise it. :)

and it surely has very very less vulnerabilties compared to windows--the reason why it is used in servers. due to opensource nature, vulnerabilities also get patched up quickly.

if u think that linux has no viruses because hackers dont want to target linux machines..then think again...u can take the internet of a whole country down if u take handful of linux servers down. and hence windows client machines will also be affected.

do u really think these "download accelerators" really accelerate? i dont thinkso.
and these are windows softwares..dont expect these to run in linux just like windows wont run mac ilife suite.

Last edited by a moderator:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
well I prefer and use Linux because it is open source.
Why waste 7K in purchasing a Windows when you can get a Linux for free. You can do everything (except hardcore gaming). What else is there to expect!

OP
S

sunzeal

Broken In
do u really think these "download accelerators" really accelerate? i dont thinkso.

yes i think so, Download Accelerators really Accelerates and that's the reason their are 1000s of people using IDM which is d best Download Accelerator.

+ their are 100s of people running all around google trying to find IDM for Linux (google search it you will get loads of threads for IDM for Linux)

Why waste 7K in purchasing a Windows when you can get a Linux for free.

Well that can be considered as an excuse, i bet 95% of People using Windows at home are using the pirated version of Windows, even my College is using the Pirated Copy.

abhijangda

Padawan
I have been using Fedora for past 5 yrs. I use it because it is open source and free. It is very much secure than Windows. Hardware support is good. The best thing is it is good for programming. Pls!! Dont start a new Linux vs Windows war.

OP
S

sunzeal

Broken In
I have been using Fedora for past 5 yrs. I use it because it is open source and free. It is very much secure than Windows. Hardware support is good. The best thing is it is good for programming. Pls!! Dont start a new Linux vs Windows war.

well, its not a Linux vs Windows war, the only few options i see people say they use Linux is :-

Open Source
Stable
No Virus
Free.

I wonder do people using Linux ever like a GUI ??

I mean, Windows has Yahoo Messenger, MSN messenger with v good GUI but Linux has Pidgin.

Their are tons of similar things like that, the reason i said that i switched to Ubuntu because people praised it and i could last only for a day.

Only good thing i like about it is that it can be booted up from USB drive and No Virus.

Talking about stability, my Windows 7 has not crashed seen months.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I moved to Ubuntu because:

1. I spent rs.8 for the OS (to burn ISO image onto a CD)
2. It does everything that I used to do on windows (except gaming which I am not doing anymore)
3. Ubuntu Software Centre. superb way of finding and installing apps. don't even have to open a browser.
4. Lightweight and the fonts and colors are just supert (thanks to AA rendering)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
For me and many others, UI doesn't matter that much; and let me clear that I am including all the computer users (who are referred to as noobs by many). Like ico said, my father also didn't dislike any of the feature or UI of Ubuntu. As long as he is able to surf internet, open his documents and listen to the songs Linux is better because it doesn't cost a penny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.