Which Ubuntu should I Install??

moltenskull

Journeyman
Well, I did write bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot in the command prompt window in advanced system repair options after inserting the Windows 8 disk but it did not work at that time...Maybe I was doing something wrong...:(

tkin

Back to school!!
Corrupt MBR and dynamic disk are two totally different problems.
Plus you can get away with dynamic disk problem if you haven't turn off the pc, then use easeus partition manager.
I know that, its just that Partition Wizard has MBR repair option as I saw when I was fixing my disks.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Anirbandd,Whichever Ubuntu you install(I installed 12.10),make sure to uninstall it carefully if you don't like it and replace the boot loader (I think that is what it is called :p ) with a repaired master boot record before booting into windows,else windows won't boot.I made that mistake and had to format my HDD as the MBR did not fix itself with the commands given.And why not try it from a USB Drive if your DVD is not working.I did it from a bootable USB stick created using Universal USB installer--

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

Instructions--

How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

And to bring up the boot menu,you have to repeatedly press F12 on some computers,as written here--

Install Ubuntu 12.10 | Ubuntu

And yes,happy birthday ! And best of luck installing ubuntu....:)

Small bootable ISO: How to fix MBR with partition manager?

if somehow ubuntu does screwup windows 7 bootloader, you can easly fix it, you just have to creat "System Repair disc" before installing ubuntu(you can also do this with windows installtion disc, but i haven't tried installtion disc method myself), and after if something goes wrong with windows 7 you can follow this guide-
How to Manually Repair Windows 7 Boot Loader Problems

i've used this method plenty times when i was having problem dual booting windows7 and ubuntu.

thanks a lot for the links!!

i will read all of them before proceeding with Ubuntu Install.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
dude, i have that much sense to make the CD drive first on the boot priority.

and i wrote about that. Read the full thread. please.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
dude, i have that much sense to make the CD drive first on the boot priority.

and i wrote about that. Read the full thread. please.

weird that the Ubuntu CD is not booting .. the only way for you now is making a USB bootable PD or if you want just give the 12.10 x64 version a try.

Neo

Might be the CD which is at fault here. How did you burn it? Where did you download the image from?

Try using the same CD on another system and see if works.

Else just create a bootable USB .

aaruni

The Linux Guy
did you burn the image properly?

when i started with this stuff, i just used to add the iso to the disk and wonder why it doesn't work! :mrgreen:

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
can you live boot ubuntu through usb drive?, if not then compare the md5 hashes of the image with official UbuntuHashes, the image might be corrupt.

Theodre

In the zone
Just use LiLI USB Creator ( LiLI USB Creator ) if you want to create live usb from windows. It supports most of the distro's.

dead.night7

Journeyman
try the book, Ubuntu Unleashed 2012 (Yellow cover covering 12.04),
I have read almost 3 quarters of that book and apart from the installation, i think what to do with your ubuntu does matter. I have spent almost most of the time dual booting concepts and yes it was freaking annoying to find the softwares for the ubuntu in old days two years ago, compiling binaries, packages have gone through all nonsense for an end user but after having those learnt, i think that makes you experienced.

In my opinion rather than having dual/triple booting from Wubi installer, going for the default installation with having grub as bootloader shud be the choice, at the end: its just like you have a menu to choose your installed os and have its sub options; not more not less.

I screwed it up when i had to first install linux, custom partition table was the first set of puzzle to have it upon the step into, linux which recommends having no partitions and keeping the entire drive dedicated and pointing to linux root (/) with no partitions.

I have read almost 3 quarters of that book and apart from the installation, i think what to do with your ubuntu does matter. I have spent almost most of the time dual booting concepts and yes it was freaking annoying to find the softwares for the ubuntu in old days two years ago, compiling binaries, packages have gone through all nonsense for an end user but after having those learnt, i think that makes you experienced.

In my opinion rather than having dual/triple booting from Wubi installer, going for the default installation with having grub as bootloader shud be the choice, at the end: its just like you have a menu to choose your installed os and have its sub options; not more not less.

I screwed it up when i had to first install linux, custom partition table was the first set of puzzle to have it upon the step into, linux which recommends having no partitions and keeping the entire drive dedicated and pointing to linux root (/) with no partitions.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

thanks!! i'll try it out.. shelved the ubuntu plan for now coz if i fluck up my PC now, then lots of problem for project.

Just use LiLI USB Creator ( LiLI USB Creator ) if you want to create live usb from windows. It supports most of the distro's.

use universal usb creator, it supports all distros, even windows 8, 7 vista and others.

thanks!! i'll try them out :)

Top Bottom