Which Ubuntu should I Install??

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Hi all,

so finally, i am ready to try out Ubuntu..

i am confused about which version i should use - the Long Term Support or the Extra Features version?

i will be using this to enhance my experience in open source OS..

PS: whats the max space i need to install Ubuntu and a few [only a few] apps? I will be shrinking a few Gigs out of my 2 partitions, and i am very short on Gigs on my HDD.. will 5-6GB do fine??

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I'm using LTS version, haven't used the other. And I didn't comment on it as I'm not a hardcore/expert linux user. Sorry.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^have dl'ed LTS..

i have Win 7 installed now.. if i install the Ubuntu now, will the Boot select menu be installed automatically, or do i have to do anything else??

tkin

Back to school!!
10 gb should be good.
Hey a question, can I run Linux(say redhat or ubuntu, suggest a light version) on VMWare(will VMPlayer do?) on a i3 3110m 2.4GHz dual core(4 threads) laptop with 6GB RAM? Its just to learn linux commands.

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
it'll detect the Windows installtion and add it to grub automatically, make sure to make a separate ext3/ext4 partition for ubuntu installtion.
installiton guide
Things To Tweak After Installing Ubuntu 12.04

axes2t2

I am a cat
Hey a question, can I run Linux(say redhat or ubuntu, suggest a light version) on VMWare(will VMPlayer do?) on a i3 3110m 2.4GHz dual core(4 threads) laptop with 6GB RAM? Its just to learn linux commands.

Yes..

Neo

Stay with LTS version for now. The latest Ubuntu does not have much to offer except for the latest gnome, which is again a pita with unity.
5gb is enough for a basic installation, though 15gb is recommended.

Neo

Or you can use wubi. When you're done, simply uninstall Ubuntu from within windows ;)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Wubi? Hmm, is this like an executable setup? Would be nice, and I can use the standard shell commands?

Yes, it's like installing linux like any program in windows; dual boot through windows boot loader, not grub.

Plus the smallest linux package available is puppy linux, just ~125 mb. And yeah, vmware can run it.

tkin

Back to school!!
Yes, it's like installing linux like a simple any program in windows; dual boot through windows boot loader, not grub.

Plus the smallest linux package available is puppy linux, just ~125 mb. And yeah, vmware can run it.
I don't want to mess with my windows bootloader, so if I use puppy linux the standard shell scripts can be used?

Neo

I don't want to mess with my windows bootloader, so if I use puppy linux the standard shell scripts can be used?

Shell scripts can be used, no problem. But Ubuntu/Mint would be good for a beginner.
Wubi won't mess with windows. Once you uninstall it, its the same PC as it was before installation through wubi.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Don't worry, windows boot loader won't get messed up. Wubi is too simple. You've my assurance :).

PS: I guess all shell commands should work in puppy linux, what's the use of linux without shell? ;)

tkin

Back to school!!
Shell scripts can be used, no problem. But Ubuntu would be good for a beginner.
I don't want to modify the bootloader, its already modified with grub 'for' win 7 ;)

Don't worry, windows boot loader won't get messed up. Wubi is too simple. You've my assurance :).

PS: I guess all shell commands should work in puppy linux, what's the use of linux without shell? ;)
But my bootloader is already modified, emphasis on the loader part ;)

Neo

I don't want to modify the bootloader, its already modified with grub 'for' win 7 ;)

But my bootloader is already modified, emphasis on the loader part ;)

Your call. But I would still insist yo install using wubi or install it properly alongside windows for true Linux experience ;)
I don't like VMs, at all.

Top Bottom