Which one is better on eyes? CRT or LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I can suggest 2-3 thing u can try.
1. In your LG monitor there might be a square shaped button. This toggles between 4 modes. See if any of these modes is comfy for u..
2. Download and install *www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm . This allows advanced adjustment of display/monitor settings that are normally hidden, like gamma, screen brightness. It isn't free , but there is just a nag screen.
3. switch to 800*600 @ 100Mz

My experience was completely opposite . I cannot CANNOT stand a glossy LCD. I find my CRT 10x better than my ex-lappy's glossy screen. That screen was horrible.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
When I was using 15" CRT monitor, I was facing too much burning sensation after few hours of usage.

But after replacing it with the 22" LCD (TN) one, I feel much better now even after 8 - 10 hours of usage :)

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
4. ALso in powerstrip there is a 'inverse gamma ramp' option. Which inverses screen colors
Screenshot.
Basically it drastically reduces brightness.

Last edited:

ancientrites

In the zone
i am still trying to find a 21 inch crt FLAT monitor for my next upgrade.LCD no way i dont like it.Please give link if anyone knows.Thanx

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Also, 1908WFP has issues with constrast where as 198WFP is a near perfect monitor. Just wanted to do a heads up that 1908WFP is not as powerful as others like 2209 and 2408 and certainly not worth the extra money.

Oh. Thanks. Any other good LCD display? Shouldn't be priced too high.

Thanks! :)

I can suggest 2-3 thing u can try.
1. In your LG monitor there might be a square shaped button. This toggles between 4 modes. See if any of these modes is comfy for u..
2. Download and install *www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm . This allows advanced adjustment of display/monitor settings that are normally hidden, like gamma, screen brightness. It isn't free , but there is just a nag screen.
3. switch to 800*600 @ 100Mz

My experience was completely opposite . I cannot CANNOT stand a glossy LCD. I find my CRT 10x better than my ex-lappy's glossy screen. That screen was horrible.

1. It has a square Select button. Which modes are you talking about? It doesn't do anything if I press just the square button.

2. I'll try it.

3. Can't! Need atleast 1024*768 resolution.

Thanks! :)

When I was using 15" CRT monitor, I was facing too much burning sensation after few hours of usage.

But after replacing it with the 22" LCD (TN) one, I feel much better now even after 8 - 10 hours of usage :)

Link to the display and price please :)

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^^^ Get Sun 21" Flat CRT. It's just brilliant but alas, It makes my eyes burn.

PS: it's almost impossible to get 21" CRT now.

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
I think 2230fm gonna cost around 22-25k, it's great..

It's got a cr of 20000:1, 2ms, etc etc, you can make it work as a TV too.

Viewsonic are cheap cakes, dunno about the quality tho.

din

Tribal Boy
^^ Any idea about price?

What about Viewsonic? I found one model- Viewsonic 19" VG1930WM

Noooooooooooooooo

iMav asked me many times not to go for Viewsonic. I never listened :(

I bought a Viewsonic 3 yrs back. 17 inch. Excellent quality, working pretty good. Bought another one last year. Build quality - bad. Having a small problem now. Another (again Viewsonic) one working ok so far.

I think (but not any personal experience) Dell is better quality nowadays ? Or all are same as the 'Tag' is same ?

the ports work only when monitor is switched ON = ports are powered :)

Cool, thanks for the info.

Last edited:
OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Noooooooooooooooo

iMav asked me many times not to go for Viewsonic. I never listened :(

I bought a Viewsonic 3 yrs back. 17 inch. Excellent quality, working pretty good. Bought another one last year. Build quality - bad. Having a small problem now. Another (again Viewsonic) one working ok so far.

I think (but not any personal experience) Dell is better quality nowadays ? Or all are same as the 'Tag' is same ?

I read all the positive reviews about this particular model. Do you have the same model?

Yeah that tag is the reason behind low quality products :(

goobimama

 Macboy
What exactly is all the hub-bub about? You already have and LCD and are comfortable with it right? Just don't use a CRT that's all!

Anyway, although I'm pretty sure I know nothing much about this stuff, my stupid brain tells me otherwise. For one, LCDs are healthier than CRTs cause they don't emit any radiation (maybe extremely small amounts). Second, they don't have a refresh rate.

You see, when a CRT refreshes 85 times a second, there are lot of moments when your eyes are staring at a black screen (although your brain doesn't acknowledge it). So all that staring at black screens gets your eyes in a jiffy. The same principal applies for reading in a room with a single tubelight. That's why it is always recommended to read with at least two tubelights (reason why the reading lights have two tubes in them), or mix it up with a bulb. You might have noticed that you can't take a video of a CRT without the scanlines but LCDs appear evenly lit.

The third thing is the way colours are displayed. On an LCD, each pixel is its own colour. It changes from either RGB in one of the 256 shades that it can. A CRT on the other hand flashes three colours, on three separate planes, which the eye then mixes up to form one of the 32 million colours supported. So what your eye is actually seeing is three different layers of Red Green and Blue (plus the white backlight in both cases) but the brain perceives it as a flat surface. This again puts a lot of strain on the eyes making them weaker.

Feel free to discredit my brain, cause I'm sure it is talking all kinds of nonsense.

Sorry for being a noob (but thats a fact lol).

Whats the USB ports in a monitor are for ?
My God! I knew you were a n00b, but I didn't know your n00bness went on to such extents!

I read all the positive reviews about this particular model. Do you have the same model?

Yeah that tag is the reason behind low quality products :(
Viewsonic monitors (the budget ones) are horrible in colour reproduction as they are in build quality. I would only recommend their professional series (if it still exists). Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Dell or HP.

Last edited:
OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
What exactly is all the hub-bub about? You already have and LCD and are comfortable with it right? Just don't use a CRT that's all!

LCD is on laptop. I need desktop too!

Anyway, although I'm pretty sure I know nothing much about this stuff, my stupid brain tells me otherwise. For one, LCDs are healthier than CRTs cause they don't emit any radiation (maybe extremely small amounts). Second, they don't have a refresh rate.

You see, when a CRT refreshes 85 times a second, there are lot of moments when your eyes are staring at a black screen (although your brain doesn't acknowledge it). So all that staring at black screens gets your eyes in a jiffy. The same principal applies for reading in a room with a single tubelight. That's why it is always recommended to read with at least two tubelights (reason why the reading lights have two tubes in them), or mix it up with a bulb. You might have noticed that you can't take a video of a CRT without the scanlines but LCDs appear evenly lit.

The third thing is the way colours are displayed. On an LCD, each pixel is its own colour. It changes from either RGB in one of the 256 shades that it can. A CRT on the other hand flashes three colours, on three separate planes, which the eye then mixes up to form one of the 32 million colours supported. So what your eye is actually seeing is three different layers of Red Green and Blue (plus the white backlight in both cases) but the brain perceives it as a flat surface. This again puts a lot of strain on the eyes making them weaker.

Feel free to discredit my brain, cause I'm sure it is talking all kinds of nonsense.

LOL! I actually wanted you to recommend a 19" LCD :D There was no need to explain the working. :p

Viewsonic monitors (the budget ones) are horrible in colour reproduction as they are in build quality. I would only recommend their professional series (if it still exists). Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Dell or HP.

This model is for graphics professionals I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom