Which GFX card within 5k?

go4saket

Hello friends.
I have a Abit IP35-E motherboard with a Core 2 Quad processor. I had been using XFX8600 gfx till now but somehow it isnt working anymore.

I want to install a new gfx card in my system and because I am out of touch for quite some time, I have absolutely no idea what the latest tech and which gfx card are doing good.

I am a casual gamer and want a card that can support all modern games at decent fps. The card should be good enough to support the upcoming games for atleast 2-3 years. Worst part is I have a pretty restricted budget. I am lookinh for one with a budget of 4-5k.

Kindly recommend me which card should i buy. Btw, will my mobo support DDR5 based gfd card.

Thank you.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Sorry for being so lame but one of my friend asked me to consider Asus 5450 which hardly costs 2.1K.

Is it a good card and can I play all modern games with this at good FPS.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ No you can't play any games which are released after 2007 with the card. For god sake, if a 2.1K card can play all the games in good FPS then why should people buy 30K cards?
5450 is a HTPC card, mainly used for HD movide decoding and not at all any card to play games.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

As you guys recommended 6670, can you please tell me if its better than XFX 8600GT 256MB DDR3 which I had been using earlier? Can I play the latest version of Crysis and other games comfortable with this card.

guru_urug

iGoogle
Yes it MUCH!! better. It is the fastest card (atleast the reference version from AMD) that doesn't require an auxiliary PCIe power cable

Whereas the 5450 your friend suggested is not better than the 8600gt.
Check out this chart..its an approximation but will give u a good idea about how the cards compare.
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: September 2011

The 6670 is comparable to the 8800gt/9800gt.
If you can extend your budget then the HD6770 will be better and more future proof. Its for approx 6.4k. But the 6670 is good too,and the best in the budget you specified no doubt.

Also which brand is your SMPS? Pls mention that,cheap PSU's can destroy graphic card

Last edited:

Tarun

In the zone
a 6770 will cost u around 6.5 to 7k but it will yield pretty decent fps in even the lastest games like Metro at medium settings in the older games maxed out is a word from me :p
with in 5k a 6670 is good card

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Also which brand is your SMPS? Pls mention that,cheap PSU's can destroy graphic card

Thanks guru. I am using a Zebronics ZEB 500W PSU. Is it good enough?

BTW, I have decided to go with 6670 as per your recommendation, thanks to you all. Just wanted to know if I should go particularly for Sapphire or other brands like XFX or MSI are also equally good? I also checked somewhere that Sapphire doesnt help much in over clocking. Is this the same with other brands also?

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
1st guy from Sambalpur in the forum I guess!!:)..Where do you stay in Sambalpur?

Coming back to the topic - NO!!!That PSU is no good for 6670. Please get a FSP Saga II 500W.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Are you too from Sambalpur? BTW, I stay in Baraipali area in SBP...

I heard that 6670 is very light on power... I seriously dont want to spend any more, especially on my PSU.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Are you too from Sambalpur? BTW, I stay in Baraipali area in SBP...

I heard that 6670 is very light on power... I seriously dont want to spend any more, especially on my PSU.

No, I stay in BBSR but my gramps stay at Rairakhol near Sambalpur so I know a few places.

Yup 6670 doesn't require any power connectors but you still need a good PSU to power it.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Thanks all for all your help but I guess I need some more... I had been going through the Bazaar section of this forum and found a few cards for sale. They are as follows:

Nvidia Geforce 9600GT @ Rs.2200/-
Palit GT240 DDR5 512MB @ Rs.2900/-
MSI HD4850 1GB OCed Edition @ Rs.3650/-
Sapphire HD4850 512MB GDDR3 @ Rs.3300/-
Sapphire HD4870 512MB GDDR5 @ Rs.3700/-

Now, do you think I should go with any of these cards or should stick on to buying a new HD6670. If I should go with any of the above mentioned cards, which one and at what price is it worth buying.

saswat23

Human Spambot
No, dont opt for an old card now. You better go with HD 6670 1GB DDR5 at 5.2k. Asus HD 6670 1GB DDR5 costs 5.2k here in BBSR and can go around 5k if bargained a bit. But make sure you get the 1GB DDR5 version.
Look for good brands like MSi, Sapphire and Asus. XFX cards are not that good now a days.

IMO you are the oldest TDF Member from Odisha.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

No, dont opt for an old card now. You better go with HD 6670 1GB DDR5 at 5.2k. Asus HD 6670 1GB DDR5 costs 5.2k here in BBSR and can go around 5k if bargained a bit. But make sure you get the 1GB DDR5 version.
Look for good brands like MSi, Sapphire and Asus. XFX cards are not that good now a days.

IMO you are the oldest TDF Member from Odisha.

Thanks Saswat but the link below shows that HD4850/4870 are better cards than HD6670. Any specific reason why you are saying not to go for old cards?

Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: September 2011

Top Bottom