Whats the difference between a PC & a MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
*llc.ucdavis.edu/10_iMac_things.htm

zeeshan i think this link might help .... was originally a part of the article but lost the link found it now ... might help .... the lower half differentiates the keys between windows and mac

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
also i can't seem to cut files , there'e only the option of Copy n Paste in the edit meny , Cut is disabled for all file types that i've tried
Here are the shortcuts you need to know:
Copy - Command + c
Cut - Command + x
Paste - Command + v

You can also replace the Command key with the Apple key.

also hitting delete key doesn't send file to trash , what r the corresponding keys for these tasks in OS X
Use Command-Delete

For more keyboard shortcuts, please visit *docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

*llc.ucdavis.edu/10_iMac_things.htm
This is an outdated article, I think it's for Mac OS 9, while current is Mac OS X. This is the article to be read.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
yeah i figured that out from the help section but seriously they should put rename in the context menu .

also i can't seem to cut files , there'e only the option of Copy n Paste in the edit meny , Cut is disabled for all file types that i've tried , also hitting delete key doesn't send file to trash , what r the corresponding keys for these tasks in OS X ?
There is no 'Cut' option in the Finder. It is an extremely stupid glitch. Absolutely ridiculous. The 'Command + X' option does not perform the 'Cut' action as on Windows. The only way to move a file from one folder to another on Mac OS X is to drag it from its position and drop it onto another.

As for the rename thing, please do not be offended by it but that was a really dull statement. Only after you mentioned it did I realise that the context menu in the Finder does not have the 'Rename' option. I never needed it. Why should I right-click when I can simply hit 'Return'! Yes, it is a different shortcut than on Windows (because Microsoft decided to change some of the shortcuts when they copied everything from the Mac OS) but how does that make it a flaw in Mac OS X itself?

blueshift said:
finally, is mac os based on linux?
Yes, it is. Steve Jobs himself said that "it is very Linux-like". It has a lot of Apple's core technologies though that are proprietary and therefore, missing on Linux and it has the best user interface among operating systems. :)

mAV3 said:
what zeeshan and gx are doing is to give u a proper un-biased review of what the MAC OS X is all about
I have to say, mAV3, that you make some really funny comments sometimes that I laugh at even though they are against me or my thinking. This statement is funny too, but this is funny because of its blatant stupidity. And this is not an insult in any way. If you were referring to the first post in that thread about running Mac OS X on a PC, if that post was an "un-biased" review of Mac OS X - :lol: let me take a break to let out the laughter - then you seriously need to look up the meaning of the word again. You can't honestly believe that any post about Apple made by the guy you referred to has ever been objectively written.

I did see this thread earlier but did not want to get involved. Only today did I realise that I was actually being missed. :D

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
*creativebits.org/files/shortcuts.jpg
Image credits: *creativebits.org/

Here are some shortcuts missed at Apple's Support Page:

Safari shortcuts:
file:///Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Shortcuts.html

Command-Control-D gets the definition of the word under the mouse. Works on any cocoa application

There are a few more commands that are often helpful for speedily typing text. These work in any standard Mac OS X text field.
Control-F: move to the right (i.e. forward)
Control-B: move to the left (i.e. backward)
Control-N: move to the next line
Control-P: move to the previous line
Control-D: delete the next character
Control-K: delete the rest of the line
Control-Y: paste the the last line deleted with Control-K

*davespicks.com/writing/programming/mackeys.html is a page worth visiting.

The 'Command + X' option does not perform the 'Cut' action as on Windows.
Here are a few notes:
1. The Windows does not have the Command key, at least I've never seen it.
2. It works like the Windows shortcut when you need to cut text. I don't know whether or not it works for files too, since I just do drag-n-drop, but it works for other apps.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
nepcker said:
Here are a few notes:
1. The Windows does not have the Command key, at least I've never seen it.
Of course you haven't. Windows is an operating system, a software product. It does not have any keys at all (unless you are talking about the Registry keys)!

nepcker said:
2. It works like the Windows shortcut when you need to cut text. I don't know whether or not it works for files too, since I just do drag-n-drop, but it works for other apps.
Yes, it works for text but not for files, which is why I said that it does not work in the Finder. :)

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Of course you haven't. Windows is an operating system, a software product. It does not have any keys at all (unless you are talking about the Registry keys)!
I meant I haven't seen the Command key on a Windows PC.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, you surely knew that when I said 'Command + X' and referred to its equivalent command on Windows, I was referring to 'Ctrl + X'. :)

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Of course I know it. I just like to refer them as their real names. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Mr. Arya, welcome back. We missed you.

Why should I right-click when I can simply hit 'Return'!
Umm..."Return" = Execute = Enter. Atleast keyboard shortcuts should be substituted with Menus which they are not.

(because Microsoft decided to change some of the shortcuts when they copied everything from the Mac OS)
Here we go again, Microsoft ne to kuch kiya hai nahi, Windows & Office apne aap ban gaya.

best user interface among operating systems.
Just look at the dock & it's annoyence. What you use most frequently is there, but what u use less frequently isn't there & there is no option for a 2ndry Menu for such things.

any way. If you were referring to the first post in that thread about running Mac OS X on a PC, if that post was an "un-biased" review of Mac OS X - :lol: let me take a break to let out the laughter - then you seriously need to look up the meaning of the word again. You can't honestly believe that any post about Apple made by the guy you referred to has ever been objectively written.
Just like you gave your verdict of Vista without even using it. :D, boys.... I posted about the flaws of the user interface which you have been touting a lot from day 1.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@arya

well i am hopeful that when gx and zeeshan dissect the MAC OS X it will show the good, bad and ugly side of it .... if the bad and ugly side makes u uneasy then well cant help it ..... i got the same response when i reviewed the ipod the day ibought it ... the truth is bitter sometimes arya ;)

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
aryayush said:
Yes, it is. It has a lot of Apple's core technologies though that are proprietary and therefore, missing on Linux and it has the best user interface among operating systems.
Now I know why the Linux fanboys are with the Macs too.

gx_saurav said:
Here we go again, Microsoft ne to kuch kiya hai nahi, Windows & Office apne aap ban gaya.
Just look at the dock & it's annoyence. What you use most frequently is there, but what u use less frequently isn't there & there is no option for a 2ndry Menu for such things.
lol..
I agree with that. Though the dock looks cool but it can be emulated in Windows too. But I think there must be some setting in Mac to get 'Start' like menu in Win...or is there not??

btw, here is a nice article to emulate MacOS on PC. Link

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mAV3 said:
if the bad and ugly side makes u uneasy then well cant help it ..... i got the same response when i reviewed the ipod the day ibought it ... the truth is bitter sometimes arya ;)
Don't you think he is already feeling uneasy that now we have full access to MacOS X & now we can show to the forum where it prevails & where it lacks.:D.

But I think there must be some setting in Mac to get 'Start' like menu in Win...or is there not??
Nope, there is no menu. If there are many icons then the dock stretches & icon size on dock shrinks.

Windows do not full screen.

Hey, in that thread did I said anything wrong about Mac arya? :rolleyes:

Can you resize the Windows from anyside?

Can u remove Mail.app by draging it to trash?

Can you change the color scheme like we can in Windows from ages?

Docked Windows?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
blueshift said:
I agree with that. Though the dock looks cool but it can be emulated in Windows too. But I think there must be some setting in Mac to get 'Start' like menu in Win...or is there not??
Listen, I've said this time and again and I'm warning you again now: if your source for knowing anything about Mac OS X is gx_saurav, then it is equivalent to asking a beggar the weight of a gold coin. Both of them have no freaking clue about the object in question. (And I am absolutely not comparing gx_saurav to a beggar here. It is the only suitable analogy I could think of. I am not one to fall to that level.)

The dock is a great tool and is very handy for launching your most commonly used programs. Why would you want it to emulate the 'Start' menu from Windows? The only thing I ever used that menu was for launching programs and the Control Panel. Both can be done with the dock. You can even drag any folder onto the dock and right clicking on it will give show you all the contents of the folder in a menu. So, if you want to have all your applications in the dock without actually making it very small, you can drag the Applications folder onto it. Better still, you can use Spotlight or QuickSilver to launch any applications in just a few keystrokes, which is the way I do it and is the most convenient one.

You can drag any file onto any application icon in the dock to make that application open that file. Try doing that in Windows. gx_saurav was complaining that the dock gets really small when you load a lot of applications onto it. Well, in any case, it is always larger than the size of the icons in Windows' quick launch bar. When you are using a torrent client, the dock icon is badged with the upload and download speeds, a system monitor application's dock icon can show graphs, the mail icon can notify you of new email, etc. Try doing any of that on Windows.

I could literally list two hundred small and big things in Mac OS X that are not there in Windows Vista that really make the operating system more fun to use. Don't ask me to do that, however. I won't. It is not my job to educate people to try out a better platform. But I do try to banish misconceptions such as these that are spread by a few nutters.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
And I am absolutely not comparing gx_saurav to a beggar here. It is the only suitable analogy I could think of. I am not one to fall to that level.)

Personal attack #1

& yeah, gareeb student hun beta :D, I don't have money to buy a 1.5 lakh laptop that too when it is not my own earned money. Thats why I did it on my existing PC.

You can drag any file onto any application icon in the dock to make that application open that file. Try doing that in Windows.

Sure sure, we are doing it since Windows 2000. Drag a word file (example) to Winzip shortcut icon or application exe (example) & see what happens :D

Or better yet, drag a mp3 to WMP shortcut & see what happens :D
When you are using a torrent client, the dock icon is badged with the upload and download speeds, a system monitor application's dock icon can show graphs, the mail icon can notify you of new email, etc. Try doing any of that on Windows.

umm, Sidebar, system tray icons, widgets & desktop x gadgets, does that rings a bell

But I do try to banish misconceptions such as these that are spread by a few nutters.

Personal attack #2

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Personal attack #1

& yeah, gareeb student hun beta :D, I don't have money to buy a 1.5 lakh laptop that too when it is not my own earned money. Thats why I did it on my existing PC.
Though I already mentioned it once, I am saying it again. I genuinely did not wish to draw any parallels through that statement. I had written the whole post and only when I was about to press the 'Submit' button did I realise that it might be interpreted in a manner that I hadn't intended it to. If you still wish to assume (and announce) that I was intentionally flaming you, be my guest!

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
gx i am eagerly waiting fo the review ...

Status
Not open for further replies.