What is the use of workspaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I've googled before I can post it here, but still, I'm not convinced enough. How is workspace switching making our jobs easier? I see that though you move to another workspace, your taskbar(its called the kicker right? :confused: Please correct me if I'm wrong) is still cluttered with applications. But, this doesn't happen on an older distro (FC4) which I observed, but the newer distros have the applications still cluttered :( Any suggestions?

Pathik

Google Bot
Afaik u can configure ur workspace settings to display only the apps running in the current workspace

cranky

Broken In
In KDE, right click on pane/ltaskbar/kicker ->configure panel-> taskbar and the 1st option.
I find it useful only when i uncheck the above option, it doesn't look cluttered that way and with 3d desktop it looks cool :D you can have different backgrounds for each desktop if you want :cool:

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

cranky said:
In KDE, right click on pane/ltaskbar/kicker ->configure panel-> taskbar and the 1st option.
I find it useful only when i uncheck the above option, it doesn't look cluttered that way and with 3d desktop it looks cool :D you can have different backgrounds for each desktop if you want :cool:

Thanks for that, but I'm on gnome and runnning opensuse 10.2

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
for gnome:-
u can send programs like torrents clients,wget,,Gaim,thunderbird,xmms etc which are running what u don't need them on you taskbar.

thats for which i use the workscapes

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Main purpose of the workspace is to organise your programs and keep the desktop unclutered.
You can use each workspace for a different task, like workspace 1 for broswer and net applications. Workspace 2 for all editors and IDE's and stuff, workspace 3 for games and such. This, is just an example use it as you like. With upto 20 workspaces, you can quite nicely organise all your stuff.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

tech_your_future said:
Main purpose of the workspace is to organise your programs and keep the desktop unclutered.
You can use each workspace for a different task, like workspace 1 for broswer and net applications. Workspace 2 for all editors and IDE's and stuff, workspace 3 for games and such. This, is just an example use it as you like. With upto 20 workspaces, you can quite nicely organise all your stuff.

OK, I got the point, but the kicker is still cluttered with all the open programs right? Few applications do have the option of closing it to the system tray, the rest will be jostling for space on the kicker.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It's not kicker in the first place it's gnome panel.
I will have to see when I get into gnome. But, for me gnome shows only the programmes running on the active workspace.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

tech_your_future said:
It's not kicker in the first place it's gnome panel.
I will have to see when I get into gnome. But, for me gnome shows only the programmes running on the active workspace.

Mehul, thanks for letting me know its not the kicker, but the panel :) What's a kicker then?:confused: Like I mentioned before, the panel is cluttered on opensuse 10.2, but I didn't find it that way on Fedora. Do let me know when you try out :)

eddie

El mooooo
Have you tried right-clicking on your gnome panel? There should be an option that would be like "show windows from all workspaces" and "show windows from current workspaces"...something around those terms. I remember there is such an option. I saw it when I tried Ubuntu.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

eddie said:
Have you tried right-clicking on your gnome panel? There should be an option that would be like "show windows from all workspaces" and "show windows from current workspaces"...something around those terms. I remember there is such an option. I saw it when I tried Ubuntu.

No. I don't get that option. My panel is still cluttered with loads of open apps :(

prateek_san

Phenom II X4 920 Owner
Off topic : but relevant
hey guys can u tell me whether KDE has 3D desktop....cuz im getting that option...

eddie

El mooooo
phreak0utt said:
No. I don't get that option. My panel is still cluttered with loads of open apps :(
Right click on your panel and take a screenshot. Post it somewhere..I want to see what options you get. I somehow remember that there used to be such an option in GNOME.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

@eddie:
Here's the first shot.
*i7.tinypic.com/490z4m1.png

Here are the rest.
*i7.tinypic.com/33tpfr5.png
*i12.tinypic.com/4bdpcnl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.