What could be a 9800GT replacement?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
My total budget is 10-11 k including the Credit Note.
@Cilus, Thanks a lot for your suggestion, but as I said in the first post, I will stick with Nvidia only. Sorry, I am kinda blind to them.

Your system deserves a good card buddy. Core i7 950 is a fantastic processor and deserves a powerful gpu. Since you want nvidia only, save up and keep the credit note and go for the Gtx 560 after its launched. Skip the gtx 460.

Piyush

Lanaya
@vicky
but is it really worth it
whats more we can get by adding 6k and waiting for it too?
any major benchmark difference?

Cilus

laborare est orare
neojjjk, for a 22" or full HD monitor (1920X1080), a GTX 460 is the beginner's card. It can play all the current games in that resolution with decent set of settings but not more than enough buddy, it is just enough for the today's demanding games.
For more than enough, you need to go for HD 6870 or GTX 470 type of card.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
yup. GTX460 is the lowest rated card a gamer should get for his 22". i dropped the idea of 22" when i brought my PC as the card i ordered was not powerful enough for anything beyond HD gaming. some may argue that GTS450 is enough but enough for today, will struggle tomorrow.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@vicky
but is it really worth it
whats more we can get by adding 6k and waiting for it too?
any major benchmark difference?

Gtx 560 will be way powerful than a gtx 460. It will be competing with 6950 and will definitely go past a 6870. And gtx 460 is lot slower than both 6870 and 6950.

I guess now you got a clear picture.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
for a 22" lcd gtx 460 is more than enough

It's not actually about screen size, it's the resolution, mine is a 3 year old 22'' and it's resolution is 1680*1050. So I am sure a GTX 460 will be way more than enough for me for that resolution. BUT I don't wanna jump for it coz GTX 560 is knocking on the door. As I said before I'll buy one which should serve me at least 1.5 to 2 years. If 560 comes for a budget around 15-16K it'd be great for me. Actually, I like to spend even 20 k for a Processor with knowing that it won't go outdated for 3-3.5 years at least but I don't like to spend lot behind a GPU as they go outdated unnecessarily fast. So I will definitely wait for a good GPU.

BTW, Thank you all for your suggestion.

Piyush

Lanaya
Gtx 560 will be way powerful than a gtx 460. It will be competing with 6950 and will definitely go past a 6870. And gtx 460 is lot slower than both 6870 and 6950.

I guess now you got a clear picture.
hmmm...ok
i thought 560 will be faster than 460 but slower than 6870

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
as of rumors say, 560 will compete with HD6950. so all depends on the price. 17-18k looks like a good price. but that also means GTX460 will stay for sometime more.

Piyush

Lanaya
it has too because then who will compete with 6850?

but may be 550 gtx may be there to fight with 6850

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
GTX460. Nvidia should & maybe will keep GTX460 alive. cause a very slim percent of users go for those expensive highend cards. most of the revenue comes from the 15k & below cards like GTS450, GTX460. if they expire those, AMD will be all over them.

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^Yes you've hit the nail on the head!!Majority of the consumers use below 14/15k cards so Nvidia shouldn't phase out GTX460 or else AMD will have a field day with 6850 selling like hot cakes!!

Top Bottom