What could be a 9800GT replacement?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I am gonna give my XFX 9800GT to service in Rashi as it's giving me problems. But I'd like to know what will be it's replacement/substitute(almost same specs) as 9800GT has been stopped shipping and N/A in market.
Thanks in advance.
PS- Nvidia only.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ ithehappy

Gtx 460 will be the best option for your rig. Try getting it by paying a bit more.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yea, you just read my mind. Indeed I was going for a GTX 460, but which model? There are Cyclone, HAWK and Normal versions. and I will stick with MSI/EVGA.

Last edited:

neojjjk

Broken In
you have a nice setup ....MSI gts 450 cyclone is a good option (Rs7250 in smc)...or you can buy a MSI cyclone gtx 460 768mb or a 1gb version (Rs 10750 in smc)

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Thanks. But I was thinking will a GTX 460 be at least enough for next 1.5-2 years to run games in Full HD? Otherwise it won't be the worth investment. I will buy a cheap unit for the time being and save my budget for a better card later.
and if I do a SLI of 460 later, will that outperform GTX 570/580? I've no idea that's why asked.

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ 460 in SLI will perform good and please read reviews on it. IMO go for GTX460 and SLI later, you won't regret. :D

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@ithehappy, you planned very well but theres a catch. Rashi doesn't deals in all GPU brands. only some. so you may have to settle for a XFX card for the time being. or ask them for a discount coupon that you can use in any store that have connection to Rashi.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
^^ 460 in SLI will perform good and please read reviews on it. IMO go for GTX460 and SLI later, you won't regret. :D
Thanks for your input, will check it out.
@ithehappy, you planned very well but theres a catch. Rashi doesn't deals in all GPU brands. only some. so you may have to settle for a XFX card for the time being. or ask them for a discount coupon that you can use in any store that have connection to Rashi.

Actually I will take a credit note from them. So that's not a problem. I am just curious and kinda confused about what I am gonna buy. GTX 460 is well inside my budget, but will that serve me a good 1.5-2 years without being outdated? If needed I will do SLI. or Should I wait and then go for a GTX 470 or else?
I really don't like this Graphic card market policy as they go outdated unnecessarily fast. So GTX 460 will be the same or not?

I wouldn't replace the 9800GT unless it has given me weird problem, it was serving me more than well, but you know it's history now.

Piyush

Lanaya
is it possible to take credit so easily?
i thought credit is given to the customers if they (dealers) are not able to come up with any other alternative

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you are getting an Credit Note then have a look at the HD 6850 and HD 6870 cards. HD 6850 from brands like Power Color , Palit are now available within 10 to 11k and performs better than GTX 460 1 GB version ins Stalk speed. The card is also a hell of a overclocker. HD 6870 price is now within 14 to 15K and I too think after the launch of GTX 560 price will come down.
You can opt for that too. Performance wise it is almost equivalent to GTX 470 + Less Power + Less Heat.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
My total budget is 10-11 k including the Credit Note.
@Cilus, Thanks a lot for your suggestion, but as I said in the first post, I will stick with Nvidia only. Sorry, I am kinda blind to them.

Piyush

Lanaya
Nopes, I was talking about HD 6870. GTX 560 will be near to HD 6950 in performance.

hmmm....
thats even better then
6870 is available at 15k or something

My total budget is 10-11 k including the Credit Note.
@Cilus, Thanks a lot for your suggestion, but as I said in the first post, I will stick with Nvidia only. Sorry, I am kinda blind to them.

then u should go for GTX 460 since u already were planning for it
but make sure its Zotac/MSI/Evga if possible

Last edited:
Top Bottom