Virgin Mobile launched in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Virgin Mobile launched in India :)

Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Group, who is known for his gimmicks, is in India once again. He has announced the launch of Virgin Mobile.

Virgin Mobile has been launched in India following the operations in several countries such as United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, South Africa, the United States and France.

However, the brand had a very brief survival in Singapore.

The international Virgin Mobile businesses each act as independent entities, usually in a partnership between Sir Richard Branson'sVirgin Group and an existing phone company.
The company was the world's first Mobile Virtual Network Operator when it was launched in the United Kingdom in 1999.

Source:

I think they joined with Tata..... :(

What r they going to do?? Will they survive??? :confused:

---------------

New Delhi, Feb 28 The Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) on Thursday urged the department of telecommunications (DoT) to clarify whether UK-based Virgin Mobile has been issued the first mobile virtual network operators (MVNO) licence.

More on this...

Last edited:

shashank_re

In the zone
Dude i have already posted this.Please search b4 you post.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81600

OP
Ganeshkumar

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
I searched b4 posting.... pls chk the time....

OK Moderators then.. pls merge these two threads...

------------------------

Will they bcome successs....?

How come this mobile virtual network operators Concept... work in India??? :confused

Last edited:

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
MVNOs operate at risk, especially Virgin. They started similar services in Australia and Singapore, and it failed disastrously..

2kewl

Sangeet Premi
Virgin are offering 10p/min for every incoming call. Interesting!

*www.virginmobile.in/plan_kya-hai.php

shashank_re

In the zone
Yeah! First even i thought like that! Its the other way round,they will pay us for the incoming call :)

Hope other operators follow it.Just check out their site,its damn coool.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
recently IT ministry and trai opened the door for nearly 10 comapnies to enter the market.. so just wait.. everything is gona change

pushkaraj

In the zone
Another CDMA service provider.......

Yeah! First even i thought like that! Its the other way round,they will pay us for the incoming call :)

Hope other operators follow it.Just check out their site,its damn coool.

+1

Their site is indeed cool :p
Check this out -> *www.virginmobile.in/why_switch.html

10 p/min will be credited for receiving calls *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/28a.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/39a.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/36a.gif

NucleusKore

TheSaint
The problem, as I understand, with CDMA, is that
1. Unlike GSM you cannot switch operators without surrendering your handset.
2. You can clone a CDMA handset and do some 420. This is especially a problem when you give it for servicing. However when you give a GSM phone you can remove the SIM and give it in.

shashank_re

In the zone
Hey even CDMA has SIM card.Please check b4 you say something.All the Virgin mobiles come with a sim card which is similar to GSM Sim.You can can also change your handset as you do with GSM,but you can only use a CDMA handset.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
they will also start GSM service in 50 cities, and 1000 cities in the end of the year, read in TOI, and the incoming call ke liye 10p credit scheme is really interesting:) hope they will continue it

shashank_re

In the zone
They wont start GSM.When new players like videocon,unitech start GSM,then they will act as MVNO like the way they are doing with Tata.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hey even CDMA has SIM card.Please check b4 you say something.All the Virgin mobiles come with a sim card which is similar to GSM Sim.You can can also change your handset as you do with GSM,but you can only use a CDMA handset.

Is this ONLY for Virgin mobile? I remember seeing the first Reliance Handsets that came in the market (kar lo duniya muthi mein), they did not have a sim, nor did that Rs. 501 handset (501 bar soap). They later introduced a pre paid mobile with what they called a T-SIM.

So can I switch from Virgin to Reliance to Tata Indicom with the same handset?

shashank_re

In the zone
Tata Indicom will accept open mkt CDMA handsets.Means they will activate the mobile even if you have bought the handset in US or from any where else!
But Reliance will not do this and you need to buy from them itself.
Practically it IS possible to use all the Tata Nokia phones on Reliance and vice-versa. Tata and Virgin are same.Take any UNLOCKED Cdma handest to them and they will configure it.
And its not that all the CDMA are SIM enabled.Infact my Moto RAZR V3c doesnt even have a SIM slot! Its preconfigured.But it is very very easy to change/upgrade to other handest.

OP
Ganeshkumar

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
10paise they will pay for our incoming call..... :O

Some nice market strategy to catch some market share.....

But... Outgoing is tooo costly.... :(

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Means virgin customers will hate Do Not call registry as they would lose some money if they don't receive telemarketers calls:D

shashank_re

In the zone
10paise they will pay for our incoming call..... :O

Some nice market strategy to catch some market share.....

But... Outgoing is tooo costly.... :(

Outgoing costly?!:?: Its 50p to any local phone dude mobile and landline:p
And no rentals!Which other operator has such low charges?
If you feel STD is costly then topup with 49 to make STD@ Re.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom