Ubuntu-My new primary OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
@Ray raven : How much RAM do u have and which processor ?
It depends on ur pc actually

@naveen : 8-9 GB should be enough

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^ Me? , I have an old system with 256 Megs of RAM.
But the system I used a VM on had a gig of RAM and a Core2Duo.
The difference is not seen when running just the desktop, try running cpu intensive apps, such as gimp and do editing.
Its there you'll see the difference.
In a VM , the cpu has to do two darn things,
Run the OS and translate calls of Linux to that OS, which are additional than running in standalone mode.
So, running an os in a vm will always be slower.

Last edited:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
ok have u configured ur VM and allocated the RIGHT amount of RAM to it ??
yes it is a little slower but u can run 2 or more than 2 one time and
u can expirement which Linux u want to have, i mean u can test all linux without any risk of messing up ur system

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Yea, thats the advantage of having VM's.
Testing multiple distro's till you find the one you wanna stick with.

praka123

left this forum longback
install to harddisk.virtual emulation softwares just emulates the drivers. :-|
100% u wont enjoy Linux experience if ur installing in vmware etc.
yes,u can "test" which distro do u like and choose.later install it on hdd .

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
prak123 can u explain more... ??? wht should i do ??? i dont weant to loose any of my files..

Ubuntu 7.10 dual boot vista (installed first) - Ubuntu Forums

and another link i got to setup ubuntu after vista... but that dealtwith ubuntu 7.04 .. or something... i have 7.10...

and its getting confusing as some say to reduce my c: using disk tool of vista..

can anyone guide me ??? or shall i start a new thread in open source section .. so that many will answer..

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@nevin:
I always recommend manual partition.
well,boot into vi$ta,go to disk management(something),clear ur win partition which u want to install Ubuntu.
now boot into Ubuntu,select in partition screen,manual partn.
now select free space and make a partition of 8GB(if ur switching fully into Ubuntu) for "/" and I think u got a new system as ur running vista.so,make a partition from that free space for swap of type "swap" of around 1.5GB(for software suspend feature) if u dont mind.
swap is equivalent to window$ "pagefile.sys" .
now put a tick in the / and swap partitions.
My suggestion,remove the entries for other partitions which the installer detects.ie,that where,it suggest automounting in /media/sdx directories.also make sure u dont have "tick"ed in other partitions except ur new / and swap.
see the screenshot for manual partitioning(recommended):
*digitalgraphy.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/manual_partition_ubuntu_dual_boot_.jpg
also,I found this below guide much easier: :)
*digitalgraphy.wordpress.com/tag/manual-partition/

PS:the ubuntu graphical installer is called ubiquity :p

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
This what happened with too much experimentation:p

@gary4gar, seriously dude, I haven't seen one useful post from you in this whole thread, all you've posted multiple times in this thread is use windows, don't use linux, what's wrong with you man?:confused:

I hope the winbug hasn't bitten you as well, anyways, please post something useful or stop crapping the thread.

@sunny, in such a short time you're already playing with linux like they are your own b**ls:grin: and good to see you're enjoying them:p

Isn't it you who has the 8800 SLI?

^^
yea its me only but using only 1 card ATM.Second one will be resting till the release of Alan Wake.
A messed up a bit with ubuntu.Ill install it again 2day.I got the drivers to work 4-5 times dunno y it didnt work last time.
BTW Vista x64 aint bad.:D
People make an OS bad by giving lame statements and passing wrong comments about it.
Vista is the best windows i have ever used.ubuntu still remains teh best OS for me.
Earlier i used to hate vista coz of many yes-no pop-ups. But now i am getting used to it.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
^^ U can disable that annoying pop ups in Vista :razz:
I will be learning some basic scripting and some programming in Linux from tomorrow (last paper tomorrow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom