1.Dell Precision M4800
2.Lenovo ThinkPad W540
3.Toshiba Tecra W50
4.HP Zbook 15

->What is your budget?
180K or less.

->What size notebook would you prefer?
15"~16" Display Screen

->Where will you be buying this notebook?
Locally or directly from the respective brand.

->Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
None, totally objective.

->What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Amber,Accelrys Discovery Studio,RasMol,PROSPECT,Matlab,Mathematica,UCSF chimera,and so one, Sequence alignment and analysis programs, Drug discovery, genomics suits etc etc. In short, I am getting this laptop for seeing the results, their is very less scope of calculations on the machine itself.(And it should be powerful enough to display them too)

->Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Yes, To conventions and labs.

->Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Nope.

->How many hours of battery life do you need?
3 hours+

11) What OS do you prefer?
Windows 7, at the same time it should be able to run any Linux or UNIX like distro(Solaris etc)

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
At least 1920x1080(1200 would be better), should be IPS with good color accuracy, I have to compare molecular systems displayed on different monitors, and a deviation in colors can cause huge errors.(Probably 90%+ sRGB gamut coverage)

->Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Matte, if possible

->Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
No

->When are you buying this laptop?
Depends on availability, even today if available.

->How long do you want this laptop to last?
Till my MS, meaning 4 years+

->How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
500 GB 7200rpm Hard Drive/ SSD will be great for simultaneous data access.

->Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Not important actually.

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Well, normally [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] would have helped in this matter but I think it's for the greater good that you two come to terms amicably before venturing on another war...

Regarding your queries, one of my friend had a nightmarish experience with Toshiba ASS so I wouldn't rate that highly...

Regarding the W50 itself, I think it's better to not go on specs alone and ask some real users...

Heading over to the forums at notebookreview would be your best bet!!! :) :)

OP
S

Siddhartht

Void
Well, normally [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] would have helped in this matter but I think it's for the greater good that you two come to terms amicably before venturing on another war...

Regarding your queries, one of my friend had a nightmarish experience with Toshiba ASS so I wouldn't rate that highly...

Regarding the W50 itself, I think it's better to not go on specs alone and ask some real users...

Heading over to the forums at notebookreview would be your best bet!!! :) :)

We are not at war @_@!!, a war would have been four five flaming threads with atleast four paragraph big replies(atleast those are the forum wars I have seen xD) Anyways, I have gone through notebook review forums, and the usual impression about laptop is good, but not about brand nor the after sales support.
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION], I am going to update my post to reflect all of my requirements.

geek_rocker

Broken In
Toshiba in India sucks imo. But friend bought a Laptop without OS from them and we couldn't find any drivers anywhere on their site.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
HP ZBOOK 17 is available in India. I had once sent an inquiry and they even sent me a quote for it.

OP
S

Siddhartht

Void
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION], I have updated the starting post with my requirements. Zbook 17 is too big to be carried around.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION], I have updated the starting post with my requirements. Zbook 17 is too big to be carried around.

Why not get a custom laptop(Clevo P150SM) from Xotic and add a Nvidia K5100 yourself?
Which university are you attending btw?
I thought MS=2 years.

OP
S

Siddhartht

Void
Why not get a custom laptop(Clevo P150SM) from Xotic and add a Nvidia K5100 yourself?
Which university are you attending btw?
I thought MS=2 years.

That would mean an import from USA, which is not allowed in my case, and I am currently a third year student at JUIT, Himachal Pradesh, so 2 year Btech+ 2 Yeas MS.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
That would mean an import from USA, which is not allowed in my case, and I am currently a third year student at JUIT, Himachal Pradesh, so 2 year Btech+ 2 Yeas MS.

Contact HP for ZBOOK 15.
Where are you planning to do MS? :))

OP
S

Siddhartht

Void
Contact HP for ZBOOK 15.

I did, and they cannot say anything conclusive about ZBook 15, and one model which is readily available with them contains Quadro K610M, which honestly is the worst GPU that can be there in a Mobile workstation.

As for MS, I guess it will be Japan or UK.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Contact HP for ZBOOK 15.
I think he contacted HP for the same and there responses were anything but satisfactory...
They didn't even know the specs of the model available here...

Btw, @op

I would recommend you to try importing from US too... :)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I did, and they cannot say anything conclusive about ZBook 15, and one model which is readily available with them contains Quadro K610M, which honestly is the worst GPU that can be there in a Mobile workstation.

As for MS, I guess it will be Japan or UK.

Try to look at Xotic PC models. They are pretty trustworthy.

OP
S

Siddhartht

Void
Try to look at Xotic PC models. They are pretty trustworthy.

I seriously cannot import any PC from USA or anywhere, even if it is cheaper by 20K..30K..~. That is because my Dad won't allow me to.
And here is the list of model available from Official HP distributor in India : Product

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Did you try contacting HP directly?
HP Mobile Workstation- ZBook 15 | HP® India
*ssl.www8.hp.com/h41268/live/index.aspx?qid=22318

OP
S

Siddhartht

Void
Else buy Lenovo ThinkPad W540 instead.
Going to contact both HP and Lenovo, and will post after getting replies(if I get one) (I had a chat with Dell guys yesterday, and the price was at 230K, beyond my budget)

Edit: I hope that Lenovo has 3k IPS verision, because the their Full HD TN panel just won't cut it.

OP
S

Siddhartht

Void
The quoted HP price was >200k, so I guess I am going to cancel out HP. Now as of other options in India, which are to be precise none, I guess I will have to go with a consumer grade notebook for now, and after getting substantial grants, get a workstation then.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The quoted HP price was >200k, so I guess I am going to cancel out HP. Now as of other options in India, which are to be precise none, I guess I will have to go with a consumer grade notebook for now, and after getting substantial grants, get a workstation then.

Wait for MSI. You can get GT 60(15.6") with GTX 880m. You can also get GT 60 with a lower end GPU and upgrade it yourself by importing a Nvidia Quadro K5100M. However, this is not officially supported.

Top Bottom