The Windows 8 Thread

Vignesh B

Youngling
That's really great and I only hope to get a much quicker way to gain access into safe mode .. pressing button combinations to gain access into win8s safe mode is not for normal human being ( unless you're the neo from matrix ) so MS should really fix this issue or is there any fix already available ?
Type this into an elevated command prompt -
"bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy"
This will allow you to go to safe mode using the same old F8 key while booting.

Gollum

Collector
Just installed the ahem version of win8 for trial on my PC. So far its looking good.
Haven't installed any drivers for it yet. trying to copy them.

nick191

Journeyman
I forgot to state my point clearly. When I said to turn off your data connection, I meant turn it off & then try to connect.
What kind of Internet Connection are you using? Is a via dongle? In that case, your BSNL modem wouldn't work AFAIK. You will have to get a all-in-one 3G+Modem+Router at Rs. 2800.

bro can you send me link for this Router ? and how it will work can i plug in my dongle into it without need of lappy it will work ?

I forgot to state my point clearly. When I said to turn off your data connection, I meant turn it off & then try to connect.
What kind of Internet Connection are you using? Is a via dongle? In that case, your BSNL modem wouldn't work AFAIK. You will have to get a all-in-one 3G+Modem+Router at Rs. 2800.

*www.ebay.in/itm/Hame-R1-3G-Wifi-Router-Built-in-4400mah-Power-Bank-Latest-HAME-model-/231003048615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item35c8dacaa7&_uhb=1#ht_9113wt_906

Thinking of this one what you say guys ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the 100 % HDD activity issue at startup ( high disk activity issue ) is driving me nuts .. I mean it was there before and will happen very rarely 4-5 time in a month at random times but after the recent update things got different .. I face the issue at every startup of windows ( if I shutdown and turn on the pc next time ) and when this happens everything is laggy and almost unusable due to high disk activity but with no transfer speed but once I restart the pc using reset button and the pc boots up again the issue is no more there and the issue is also not there if I hibernate and start the pc again so it must be windows 8 startup issue ( many has faced the high disk activity issue ) ) ... I'm in need for a fix now.

the 100 % HDD activity issue at startup ( high disk activity issue ) is driving me nuts .. I mean it was there before and will happen very rarely 4-5 time in a month at random times but after the recent update things got different .. I face the issue at every startup of windows ( if I shutdown and turn on the pc next time ) and when this happens everything is laggy and almost unusable due to high disk activity but with no transfer speed but once I restart the pc using reset button and the pc boots up again the issue is no more there and the issue is also not there if I hibernate and start the pc again so it must be windows 8 startup issue ( many has faced the high disk activity issue ) ) ... I'm in need for a fix now.

I faced this issue long ago, but after regularly updating Windows, the issue disappeared. Can you post a screenshot of start-apps list?

Vignesh B

Youngling
That issue was there for me some time ago. Then I found out the culprit to be an update to the .NET 3.5 framework. Had to remove the framework(rather than just the update, which didn't solve the issue), then install it again. The next time the update happened, it was smooth. I have even heard of language packs causing the issue. 95% of the time it is due to some update issue.
One small tip : Rather than keeping updates to automatic, keep it to notify me before downloading or installing. And before installing the update, "Google" it for any known issues. I don't think delaying the install by one day is going to cause havoc unless you are working in some big organization which is being targeted. Install when there is no known errors in that update. At certain times there are also updates which are needed for your computer. So, just check the knowledge base too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I faced this issue long ago, but after regularly updating Windows, the issue disappeared. Can you post a screenshot of start-apps list?

here it is :

*i.imgur.com/D0ps9U6.png

now I think IDM is what causing this .. I've very long list of download pending and seen this happening before with IDM but why It always happens up when I first startup the pc and the issue gone itself when I reset and comes back again if I restart .. it's like every 1,3,5 no. of windows boot has this isse and the issue is not there in case of 2,4 and 6 .. anyway, I'll try disabling IDM and networx both.

That issue was there for me some time ago. Then I found out the culprit to be an update to the .NET 3.5 framework. Had to remove the framework(rather than just the update, which didn't solve the issue), then install it again. The next time the update happened, it was smooth. I have even heard of language packs causing the issue. 95% of the time it is due to some update issue.
One small tip : Rather than keeping updates to automatic, keep it to notify me before downloading or installing. And before installing the update, "Google" it for any known issues. I don't think delaying the install by one day is going to cause havoc unless you are working in some big organization which is being targeted. Install when there is no known errors in that update. At certain times there are also updates which are needed for your computer. So, just check the knowledge base too.

Ok, I'll keep this in mind and this thing happened mostly before when I has AMD CCC installed but fixed when I used a Nvidia gpu but this time I uninstalled CCC as well but still this issue happening in the above mentioned order after the update.

BTW, thnaks guys for your helpful suggestions .. I've searched a lot over this issue and looks like there's no absolute cause behind this - different people has fixed their isues differenly but I think it has something to do with svchost processes though I'm not sure .. anyway, let me try some more fixes.

Hrishi

Was on Windows 8 for long time , almost from the day it was publicly released." { took me 3 days to finish download. :p }.
Then was back on Seven due to driver issues.

Seems like it's time to re-install Windows 8. { though , still not sure if its worth upgrading. }
Read somewhere that it provides improvement over Seven in machines with Quad-Core or higher CPU. Is that a legitimate *fact or just a hype by AMD lovers ??

amjath

Human Spambot
Was on Windows 8 for long time , almost from the day it was publicly released." { took me 3 days to finish download. :p }.
Then was back on Seven due to driver issues.

Seems like it's time to re-install Windows 8. { though , still not sure if its worth upgrading. }
Read somewhere that it provides improvement over Seven in machines with Quad-Core or higher CPU. Is that a legitimate *fact or just a hype by AMD lovers ??

it improves in older pc's running dual core or core 2 duo, other than that boot time is faster

Hrishi

it improves in older pc's running dual core or core 2 duo, other than that boot time is faster

My previous laptop & desktop were on same HW (dualcore/c2duo). Never felt any significant improvement in performance, though.

amjath

Human Spambot
My previous laptop & desktop were on same HW (dualcore/c2duo). Never felt any significant improvement in performance, though.

I read many review about windows 8 running on old hardwares. But personally did not tried it yet, but I will.
Here is a review for confirmation
*www.troyhunt.com/2013/02/operating-system-smackdown-windows-8.html

Also there are issues running windows 8 on old hardware with lower resolution. So here is a link for optimising windows 8 on old hardware

*www.pcworld.com/article/2011906/how-to-optimize-windows-8-on-old-hardware.html

Last edited:

Hrishi

Surely the boot times sped up ?

Yeah , that certainly was visible.:p

I read many review about windows 8 running on old hardwares. But personally did not tried it yet, but I will.
Here is a review for confirmation
*www.troyhunt.com/2013/02/operating-system-smackdown-windows-8.html

Also there are issues running windows 8 on old hardware with lower resolution. So here is a link for optimising windows 8 on old hardware

*www.pcworld.com/article/2011906/how-to-optimize-windows-8-on-old-hardware.html

Thanks for the link. Although I don't have a older gen-pc to give it a try .

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Two click shutdown in 8.1

*i.imgur.com/7qXFbT5.png

Welcome changes:

-> More options in WIN + X
-> Boot to desktop
-> Search anywhere (ctrl q doesn't take you metro interface, you can search directly from desktop)
-> Custom start screen backgrounds
-> More size options to live tiles
-> Automatic App updates
-> Infinite Snapping (Maximum no. of apps that can be snapped depends on your screen resolution)
-> Built in Calculator, Alarm apps and much needed ui updates to Xbox Music, Videos and Games

Unnecessary changes:

-> Wasted task bar space by adding a start button at bottom left. And no option to disable it as promised.

Top Bottom