The Windows 8 Thread

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
due to the annoying HDD activity issue I have to remove win 8 and using win 7 now but looking at the features I'll test win 8.1 using vmware.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Don't feel like updating. Just saw Windows 8.1′s Start Button Isn’t A Start Button | TechCrunch

And the ISO files are probably available after today. How to Download and Install Windows 8.1 Free Preview? Upgrade or Dual Boot with Windows 8 - Tweaking with Vishal

Vignesh B

Youngling
Downloaded the 8.1 update setup, but says my pc is not eligible for the preview.. o_O :'(
1. Ensure you have the latest graphic drivers. Also check if your PC meets the hardware requirement as @krishnandu.sarkar has already stated.
2. You need to have English(US). English(UK) is not supported as of yet.

Please note: Some tablets and PCs running newer 32-bit Atom processors require updates to their graphics drivers before they can run the Windows 8.1 Preview. Those tablets and PCs include the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2, ASUS VivoTab TF810C, HP Envy X2, HP ElitePad 900, Samsung ATIV Smart PC, and Fujitsu ARROWS Tab. We are working closely with Intel and OEM partners to deliver updated drivers that will allow you to install the Windows 8.1 Preview as soon as possible.
The Windows 8.1 Preview is here!

amjath

Human Spambot
If i install the preview from Windows Store do I need to take back up??? Will it erase the programs

.jRay.

Youngling
1. Ensure you have the latest graphic drivers. Also check if your PC meets the hardware requirement as @krishnandu.sarkar has already stated.
2. You need to have English(US). English(UK) is not supported as of yet.

^^Check the hardware requirements. Also is your Windows genuine?
Windows is genuine used the windows upgrade offer from win 7, hardware requirements are met, and using eng uk, will check with eng us.. thanks

Vignesh B

Youngling
If i install the preview from Windows Store do I need to take back up??? Will it erase the programs
Backup is recommended, suppose you don't want to continue with the preview.
If you're upgrading fromYou can keep
Windows 8Windows settings, personal files, and most apps
Windows RTWindows settings, personal files, and most apps
Windows 7Personal files
Windows VistaNothing. You must boot from media and perform a clean install
Windows XPNothing. You must boot from media and perform a clean install
Guys how about giving the FAQ a read? - Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ - Microsoft Windows

amjath

Human Spambot
Backup is recommended, suppose you don't want to continue with the preview.

Guys how about giving the FAQ a read? - Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ - Microsoft Windows

im running win 8 bro, i can backup my files but my main concern is program files

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Don't feel like updating. Just saw Windows 8.1′s Start Button Isn’t A Start Button | TechCrunch

Even I don't feel like updating immediately. I'll wait for the final release.

The start button thing is already known that is just a shortcut to start menu before the preview release. Microsoft proved it has balls whithout giving into the whiners. It is unnecessary as the start can be brought up by clicking on bottom left corner already, idk why they need a visible button at the corner. just a waste of space on taskbar.

And also that techcrunch article seems like it is written by a grandpa .

From the article

"To open a new application, the user has to completely leave the workspace. It’s horrible on a laptop."

This doesn't even make sense. He says he has been using the OS since 6 months and still he can't figure this out. ;)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well I ignored that part. And I really loved the new way of Win 8. Didn't felt the lack of Start Button.

And I agree with you, that thing can be anyways bought by right clicking on left bottom. A dedicated button was not needed. If it was like the old Start Menu, I'd have accepted, but this thing was not needed anyways.

Vignesh B

Youngling
What Microsoft has done is just to shut up its critics. Give them something like a Start button, but it will work the same as it used to in Windows 8(which was kind of like hidden).
It kind of reminds me of the ribbon in MS Office. There was a lot of hue and cry over it, but now people have adjusted.

Top Bottom