The Ultimate Ubuntu Customization Guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Just got this thread from a post on ILUG-D *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200892
See if it covers anything new.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah, i've bee thru all the threads at ubuntuforums regarding osx. but in almost everything i found some or the other thing lacking. so i set out to mod things to suit my way. the only thing that i hafnt mentioned here is the macmenu menubar hack. which i probably wudn't. but if things go well and the pack is released i'm thinking of adding it as an option. lets see. i'm still going thru the trac and svn things... gotta read and understand somethings.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
infra_red_dude said:
the stack applet has proved very useful for me. i can group things and access them at the click of a button. do try it.

how to use it, i'm finding difficulty in its usage.
is it similar to Window Grouping for same programs. ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ btw, the name aint preserved. so rename the above as distributor-logo.png and put it in the folder mentioned above.

some more resources:

1) mac os theme for thunderbird
*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1713

2) mac os fonts
*www.osx-e.com/downloads/misc/macfonts.html

3) mac os tiger alert sounds
*www.osx-e.com/downloads/misc/tiger_alert_sound.html

if anyone has fly a kite os, then can the wav files be extracted and posted here so that we may haf the full mac os sound pack?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
mehul has setup a test trac system. anyone interested in working/testing on this mac os leopord project. i guess it'll make the lives of mac os users a lot simpler as the ui for them is very familiar.

if anyone's interested in contributing do drop by my blog.

************************************************************************************
update: i jus edited 2 icons: black search and logout icons wid transperant background on the top panel. added: a different icon for computer. download these two and replace in the OsX_Mod_ANi theme.

*rapidshare.com/files/50101717/apps.tar.gz.html
extract and replace the icons in ~/.icons/OsX_Mod_ANi/scalable/apps

*rapidshare.com/files/50101727/stock.tar.gz.html
extract and replace the icons in ~/.icons/OsX_Mod_ANi/scalable/stock

*rapidshare.com/files/50102026/gnome-fs-client.png.tar.gz.html
extract and replace the icons in ~/.icons/OsX_Mod_ANi/scalable/places

note: backup first, in case u don't like the new icons.

liked this apple wallpaper. plain and simple. matches the leopard theme. download:
*img410.imageshack.us/img410/8206/thinkdifferentplaintn9.th.png

Last edited:
OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Another How To : Avant Windows Manager the best and the most stable Dock for Linux well I had to say but its more user friendly and better than Kiba.. Though Kiba Akamaru is gr8 but Avant maintains the simplicity and stands at the top :D

Note : This how to is only for Ubuntu Users :hap2:

Open Terminal and write this
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Add these lines to the bottom:
Code:
deb *download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42/ feisty avant-window-navigator
deb-src *download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42/ feisty avant-window-navigator
Then do this in a terminal:
Code:
wget *download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42/8434D43A.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Now to install the stable AWN version do

NOTICE: No stable AWN at this time. It will be added at the next release

Or for AWN BZR do

Code:
sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-bzr
The Affinity in this repo requires Tracker to work properly:
Code:
sudo apt-get install tracker
Or for Affinity SVN do
Code:
sudo apt-get install affinity-svn
That's done :) AVN is the best and here my desktop with it :D Note Berly/CF is needed to run it perfectly .. I am on Compiz Fusion atm :)

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/4113_naalk/Screenshot.png​

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^ Here you go and more awesome wallies on the same ;)) *interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details.php?id=1341

A small how to on Adding screenlets and having Sidebar on Ubuntu :D

1'st install Screenlets as mentioned in the guide then after it get installed :D Download few screenlets from Gnome-Look

Now since You need to move those screenlets in Folder . 1'st Unzip the zipped pack .. then Extract the folder to Desktop :)

After that copy the folder to /home/<user name> ... Then Open Terminal and type the following

Code:
sudo mv <folder name> /usr/local/share/screenlets

After the folder gets copied to the original folder .. You need to Open Screenlets manager . From Main Menu->Accessories-> Screenlets Double click on Control Screenlet Here in Scrrenshot you can see its icon

*www.imgx.org/pfiles/594/Screenlets.png​

Now A small icon will be there at your desktop its main Screenlet Launching Icon . .Right click and add Screenlets :)

To Download few recommended here you go :)

Sidebar : Click Here
CPU Meter : Vistaish Looks
Disk Usage : Click Here

Note: Few screenlets comes pre-installed like Calender,Weather and few more. For Screenlets you need to have Beryl runing :D

Here are my Desktop with Sidebar :D

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/4060_9a4fr/Screenshot.png​

Hope it helps :D Plz do post your Screenshots after applying this guide :hap2:

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@vish

trac is a project management system. we are planning to work on the mac os project, to make it all into one package... compile all the customisation resources, include choices in installation etc. i'll be testing if cvs is working today. lets see. anyone interested in contributin?

vish786

"The Gentleman"
infra_red_dude said:
@vish

trac is a project management system. we are planning to work on the mac os project, to make it all into one package... compile all the customisation resources, include choices in installation etc. i'll be testing if cvs is working today. lets see. anyone interested in contributin?
okey i'm in but i dont know what exactly to do. <soory>
guide me & and will follow whatever u say to do.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
sure, those "self proclaimed n00bs" can help in testing :) we jus wanna make an installer so that the whole thing is available as a package. will start the vista/xp project soon :) others can help in getting info about resources, mac aur windows ui ka chappa chappa chaanna hoga aur minute se minute details pata karna hoga so that the emulation is near perfect. one of the aims of this project will be to help n00bs make transistion to linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom