The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
@max_demon

Mac OS X is officially pronounced as "mac oh-es ten". The "X" in Mac OS X means the roman numeral ten.

But it is not completely wrong if you pronounce the "X" as the english alphabet X.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
max_demon said:
मैक ओएस एक्स सबका गुरु है । लेकीन एक सामान्य व्यिक्तय ( जीस् कंप्युटर के बारे मे कम आता है वो Wईण्ढ्ows Xp इस्तेमाल करते है ।)

समझदार लोग मैक ओएस एक्स इस्तेमाल करते है ।
सौ सुनार की, एक लौहार की! तुम एकदम सत्य वचन कह रहे हो। मुझे इस बात की खुशी है कि इस फोरम मे कुछ 'विन्डोज़ युज़र्स' भी अपने दिमाग का इस्तेमाल करते है। धन्यवाद! :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
[FONT=&quot]Yawn....3 classes, damn I need some sleep.

Hmm...time to let the thread die with no reply. We never intended to fight. Who gives a damn to an internet challenge

Finally, fixed the startup problem. & Boy, Plethora of flaws here. I am going to sleep so just few flaws which i will mention here.

1) In Vista or Ubuntu we can get info about a file or folder just by mouse hovering on it. Info such as File name, type, size etc. In Mac we cannot. We just cannot. Selecting the disk in finder also doesn't show any file info in status bar unless i right click on it to select "Get info"

2) I have a folder, inside that I again have a folder inside which I have some files. How do u copy them to the previous folder? . In Windows Linux I can simply cut, go back or go one up level & paste. Now here I have to copy go back, paste then go forward & delete from the original location.

3) Preview sux, literally for images. I need an image viewer with "Back" forward buttons. Arya refer me to some ACDSee clone or XNView clone.

4) Adium is good for Google talk, for WLM use MSN Messenger from MS.

5) Who ever said installing application in Mac is easy should get his eyes checked. It is just like Windows, next next next. It even asked me to enter user password while installing MacFUSE

6) Safari is very new & hardly customizable. I am going to Firefox till i learn safari.

7) Just saw the Mac UI font:mad:. Installed Segoe UI in 2 mins using Fontbook. Phew...something familier.

I prefer exiting apps instead of closing. So Winkey + Q is holy grail

Hey arya, is there some app using which I can change all MacOS X keyboard commands to that of Windows. I am a keyboard guy & hardly use mouse. Can't live with enter key which now renames. What is the "Execute key" in Mac?

[/FONT]

Some screenshots

*img489.imageshack.us/img489/633/kalantrichatfv8.th.jpg

Old users will recognise this render. :D Just for checking "Preview"

*img489.imageshack.us/img489/3985/previewzv4.th.jpg

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Finally, fixed the startup problem. & Boy, Plethora of flaws here. I am going to sleep so just few flaws which i will mention here.

1) In Vista or Ubuntu we can get info about a file or folder just by mouse overing on it. Info like File name, type, size etc. In Mac we cannot. We just cannot. Selecting the disk in finder also doesn't show any file info in status bar unless i right click on it to select "Get info"
If I am not wrong, this is what you are looking for:

*www.tachypic.com/thumb/12609.jpeg

Use the column view. It is the most advanced one. You can even preview your movies right there in the Finder. Try doing that in Explorer.

gx_saurav said:
2) I have a folder, inside that I again have a folder inside which I have some files. How do u copy tham to the previous folder ? :confused:. In Windows Linux I can simply cut, go back or go one up lavel & paste. Now here I have to copy go back, paste then go forward & delete from the original location.
Best way is to use the column view and drag your file to the previous column. Second way, if you insist on using the icon view, is to drag a file and hit 'Command + Up' on the keyboard and drop it. 'Command + Up' takes you to the parent folder.
And as I said before, don't try to make it sound like Mac OS X does not have the cut-paste functionality at all. It is just not there between drives but is omnipresent apart from that.

gx_saurav said:
3) Preview sux, littrally for images. I need an image viewer with "Back" forward buttons. Arya refer me to some ACDSee clone or XNView clone.
Select you images together and open them. Now use the up and down buttons to navigate between all the images or navigate directly to the ones you want from the drawer.
In the preferences, you can set it to open all images in one window. So individual images won't open in individual windows and then you can use the arrow keys or the mouse.
And think before you speak, will you? Preview is one of the most advanced utilities on Mac OS X. You can view and edit all sorts of images and every Adobe forumat out there including (but not limited to) PDFs and Photoshop and Illustrator files. Try doing that in Windows Picture and Fax viewer.

gx_saurav said:
4) Adium is good for google talk, for WLM use MSN Messenger from MS.
This is supposed to be a one of the "plethora of flaws"?

gx_saurav said:
5) Who ever said installing application in Mac is easy should get his eyes checked. It is just like Windows, next next next. It even asked me to enter user password while installing MacFUSE
It is you who needs an eye (and if possible, even a brain) checkup. If you expect to install a whole file system without expecting the operating system to make sure that some kid is not hitting return on the keyboard while you are away - well, you are too far gone into Windows hell to ever have any hope for redemption or survival.
As for applications installation being just like Windows, please tell everybody here how you installed Adium. Or VLC. Or Skype. Most of the applications. Just copy and paste, right? Drag and drop.
I have forty four third-party applications installed on my Mac and only three of them had to be installed with an installer - Parallels, CrossOver and Adobe CS3. Throw in two extra for some plug-ins, etc. that I have installed over the course of the past eight months. Throw in three-four more if you want. I still have to see the face of an installed roughly once per month. I used to see three installers everyday one Windows. What's more, I cannot move my applications from the Program Files folder once they are installed, nor can I have two copies of my applications for the same user.

gx_saurav said:
6) Safari is very new & hardly customisable. I am going to firefox till i learn safari
Safari supports plug-ins just like Firefox does and you can visit the site *www.pimpmysafari.com/ for plug-ins. In any case, it is hordes better than Internet Explorer.

gx_saurav said:
7) Just saw the Mac UI font:mad:. Installed Segoe UI in 2 mins using Fontbook. Phew...something familier.
Which brings me to another brilliant application bundled by default - FontBook. Even two minutes is stretching it. It hardly takes half a second to not only install a font using FontBook but group, manage and preview all your fonts. Try doing that in Windows.

gx_saurav said:
I prefer exiting apps insted of closing. So Winkey + Q is holy grail
Yeah, Windows users are used to doing that due to the poor RAM management in Windows. You can let go of that convention in Mac OS X. I have fifteen applications running right now.

gx_saurav said:
Hey arya, is there some app using which I can change all MacOS X keyboard commands to that of Windows. I am a keyboard guy & hardly use mouse. Can't live with enter key which now renames. What is the "Execute key" in Mac?
Command + O.
Yes, there are such applications. MacUpdate is your friend.

Uh... anyone see any of the promised "plethora of flaws" here? I was so excited that finally I would at least see one more drawback. No such luck, after all. :(

gx_saurav said:
Old users will recognise this render. :D Just for checking "Preview"

*img489.imageshack.us/img489/3985/previewzv4.th.jpg
Absolutely amazing render for a newbie to multimedia editing like me. Did you do it yourself? Good work. :)

Back to the "plethora of flaws" now...

We're still stuck at five here. Oh, how I hate being stuck.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Braking news: Due to a suddun power cut ( mayawati sux), MacOS X File system curropted & now I have to go to apple store again. Admit it or not but windows is better in this regard whatever happens NTFS hardly curropts.

Arya, check my blog, talk to old users about how I m your senior in & do some history research about me in this forum. That render is just a part of my Arena MM 4th sem project demo reel I made last year in 3Ds Max 9.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
WOW! You cannot even except praise graciously. All you needed to say was thank you. :rolleyes:

And you are simply lying about that power cut thing.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
abe i m online by phone. cant u see the 450 words limit I wrote that post with.

Lolz....Same thing happened with zeeshan. now what can i expect from u when u treat a flaw by saying "you r lying". I know it hurts macboys that the OS has flaws.

I gave you info cos u mocked me saying in other thread saying " u my senior, u must be joking". Well get a history check before u speak about someone. check my blog it might help u in learning 3Ds Max

good night. From tomorrow u won't be seeing me past 12 am anyway. I don't want to be a vampire :D

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
abe i m online by phone. cant u see the 450 words limit I wrote that post with.
Yeah, that is the first thing I do whenever I see a post on this forum. I paste it in TextEdit and count the number of characters it has. :lol:

gx_saurav said:
Lolz....Same thing happened with zeeshan. now what can i expect from u when u treat a flaw by saying "you r lying". I know it hurts macboys that the OS has flaws.
Everyone knows how big a liar you are. That Photoshop fiasco is not even a day old yet. Anyway, show me the proof that your hard drive corrupted when there was a power cut and Mac OS X was running. Show it.
And what happened with Zeeshan? :confused:
I don't think he blatantly lies like you. He is sometimes misinformed, yes - but I have yet to see him lie.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Use the column view. It is the most advanced one. You can even preview your movies right there in the Finder. Try doing that in Explorer.

*img46.imageshack.us/img46/7479/windowspreviewjm9.th.jpg

Did u mentioned something :D. Too bad Windows has been showing preview of Images & Movie files since Windows ME. You can add any file to preview in Explorer itself using simple plug-in based mechanism. I have myself added PDF & PSD Preview by simply using plug-in available on MSDN.You can preview the whole video in it. Even seek the timeline. Watch before you say something cos now I can simply test it in Mac :D. Finder doesn't even has an address bar & GO->Go to location is not an address bar. It doesn't shows me the address at which I am.

And No, I was not talking about preview of this kind. I was talking about tooltips. Mac has no tooltips whether it is on application toolbar buttons or folder mouse hover. If there is then tell me plz.

Best way is to use the column view and drag your file to the previous column. Second way, if you insist on using the icon view, is to drag a file and hit 'Command + Up' on the keyboard and drop it. 'Command + Up' takes you to the parent folder.
And as I said before, don't try to make it sound like Mac OS X does not have the cut-paste functionality at all. It is just not there between drives but is omnipresent apart from that.
Yo, I don’t have 3 hands :D

Arya, clearly you are lying now. I just checked myself. I made a folder in my Home drive “files”. Inside it I made another folder “Downloads” Now I copied a file in “Downloads”. These all folders are in Macintosh HD. Now I went to my downloads folder & tried to cut a file so that I can paste it back to files folder. Here is an eye opener, despite of both Files & downloads folder being on same Mac HD there was no cut option. Want me to show u a video now :D. This is where we say we were reveling the truth.

Select you images together and open them. Now use the up and down buttons to navigate between all the images or navigate directly to the ones you want from the drawer.
In the preferences, you can set it to open all images in one window. So individual images won't open in individual windows and then you can use the arrow keys or the mouse. Try doing that in Windows Picture and Fax viewer.
I need a photo viewer & manager & I don’t have iPhoto here. Mind giving me a proper photo manager? Preview just sux. I don’t want to write about why ACDSee or Windows Photo gallery is better than “Preview” right now else the post will be too long. I hope you don’t comment back saying “oh pwned” cos I can pwn u easily in this regard.

And yes, using Windows Image engine plug-in, you can add any file format to the supported file formats in Windows Vista photo gallery. I am myself viewing RAW Files of digital camera & PSD in photo gallery itself using plug-in easily available from Microsoft.

I cannot move my applications from the Program Files folder once they are installed, nor can I have two copies of my applications for the same user.

That’s how things are done in Windows. A centralized shared location for all your installations. Unlike Mac. And why do you want to have 2 copies of same app for same user :?

In any case, it is hordes better than Internet Explorer.
About the so called “zoom” feature for Mac. Here is the thing. With automatic zoom safari & firefox were going out of my monitor screen when I opened some pages :D & I had to go to that green zoom button again to zoom it back to normal for every page. You mentioned in another page that you need to resize for IE 7 in Windows, here is an eye opener. In Windows you just maximize apps……in Mac, there are many windows set at weird location. Some going below half the dock.

Which brings me to another brilliant application bundled by default - FontBook. Even two minutes is stretching it. It hardly takes half a second to not only install a font using FontBook but group, manage and preview all your fonts. Try doing that in Windows.
I wonder how u once lied “ I m using windows from 6 years & m quite proficient in it” when you have not even seen the fonts folder in Windows :D

Installing a font, simply copy it to fonts folder
Uninstalling a font , simply delete it
Preview a font, simply double click on it.
In windows font is just a file like any other file & you can do whatever you want with it.

Yeah, Windows users are used to doing that due to the poor RAM management in Windows. You can let go of that convention in Mac OS X. I have fifteen applications running right now.
Poor RAM Management, search on wikipedia for Superfetch boy. I got 1 render in 3ds max running, MSN messenger running, Yahoo messenger running & Firefox running. Oh! Just to tell you 3ds max rendering choke the full CPU speed.

Yes, there are such applications. MacUpdate is your friend.
I searched, didn’t find any. Refer me plz :)

Uh... anyone see any of the promised "plethora of flaws" here? I was so excited that finally I would at least see one more drawback. No such luck, after all.
How can you see flaws with a white plastic sheet on your eyes. I just pointed out Tooltip flaw, Cut flaw…address bar flaw, go back toolbar button flaw but you didn’t see any of it.

Everyone knows how big a liar you are. That Photoshop fiasco is not even a day old yet. Anyway, show me the proof that your hard drive corrupted when there was a power cut and Mac OS X was running. Show it.
Every one also knows how big blind repenting mac boy you r. **** just happened with me, reinstalled Mac OS again. Besides I never lied about Photoshop colour management, you should start Photoshop in Windows & check it yourself how colour management is done. You were the one who said "i will get back to you on this tomorrow". First get your facts straight.

Anyway, that would be all. I m not getting paid to do a review so why bother:). When you have no respect for bug finding & feel that despite of having bugs the OS is unflawed then trust me, Mac OS will always be feature full. It doesn’t even comes with a proper photo manager (iphoto comes with iLife, not MacOS). When I wrote that usability review of Ubuntu, the Linux users admited the flaws of Linux sincerly (though not everyone) & helped. They want to improve, but Mac users act like smugs & think they are perfect. I wasted 2 days in trying to reveal some genuine flaws which Macboys say don't exist. Well, anyone who wants to use MacOS in the nearest Apple shop can contact me :p & check for themselves how it is.

By the way, my airtel modem hangs after working for 5 mins in Mac. & I need to reboot the modem by power off & power on. Any idea why this is happening. Everything like my username password, forwarded port is saved in Modem itself, & if i have to use it, i just install the drivers in any OS & it works fine. Like if I reinstall Windows or boot via Linux Live CD I just install the modem drivers & everything works. In Mac it hangs, help regarding this. Where is the modem option

Only my gf is perfect :D

Last edited:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
I dont know, how far this is true. I went to Keepvid.com today and Today Hot Videos was "Why Mac Suck" :lol:

*keepvid.com/watch/3

I am not here for a fight, just want to hear how far that guy is true.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
aryayush said:
And what happened with Zeeshan? :confused:
don't know if my Hdd corrupted or what , but there was a power cut n i was running mac with UPS n then UPS gave away , n computer shut down n next time i started Mac it only showed "Loading Darwin x86 ..." n then stuck at that , no error message whatsoever .

btw Arya , how do we switch to verbose mode in boot loader while booting ? (u know naa , like showing what files r being loaded , etc , etc , in place of Apple Logo)

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
OMG! I wonder how do u people manage to write such lengthy posts! Great work.

Coming to the point...

One more point to highlight regarding "Mac Vs Windows".

Apple doesn't ship free video editing tool. iMovie is shipped only with MacOS X but one need to pay a hefty amount to use it in older versions.

Vs.

Microsoft includes Windows Movie Maker as a part of Windows package itself.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
@ KTM

Yup, another flaw which they don't except saying "Mac comes with iLife". Here is the thing, even dell comes with Ulead Video studio or Premiere Elements OEM:D.

Some more flaws.

1) Safari's inbuilt download manager doesn't support proper download resume. If I Quit safari, the download will need to be restarted. Well, no hard feelings even IE & Firefox have near useless download manager. I m using Speed downloader right now, cos well...it is better then Wellget.

I just miss my widgets, just downloaded Yahoo widget engine. Dashboard is not for me, it just doesn't cuts it.

Now I know why Mac came up with Expose. Due to palated UI you end up with so many windows that cycleing through them using command+tab & cycleing through different windows of a single app using command + ` is tough, so Expose....everything on the screen.

Since we do not face the problem of palated UI in Windows, good thing it is not there.

Keychain doesn't integrates with firefox. Not a flaw, obviously Apple won't let a competing browser work with there software just like that. Safari needs an edge over firefox, right.

Quicktime now plays divX file properly after downloading the divx decoder. The persuit is still on for a proper wma audio player.

And seriously, MacOS is just not made with keybaord in mind. Sometimes simple task need 4 keyboard shortcuts.

And thanx to iMav, atleast he told me about drag & drop in folder nevigation which surely the Mac genius missed to point out. Click on a folder, then press the Option key & then drag the folder anywhere to move it. You can drag that folder to the finder sidebar to reach the Home folder ain, on which if you mouse over, it will open. Then do the same for "files" folder & put it there.

Hey seriously Macboys, help regarding my Airtel modem. It connects through DHCP & every info is saved in modem only. In case of Windows/linux I don't need to configure anything. Just install drive & it works. It is connected via USB.

Last edited:

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
aryayush said:
सौ सुनार की, एक लौहार की! तुम एकदम सत्य वचन कह रहे हो। मुझे इस बात की खुशी है कि इस फोरम मे कुछ 'विन्डोज़ युज़र्स' भी अपने दिमाग का इस्तेमाल करते है। धन्यवाद! :)
लिनुx और विन्डोज़ युज़र् । नोर्मली मैं लिनुx इस्तेमाल करता हुं । XP सिर्फ़् ऱ्&ढ् और Sओफ़्ट्wअरे इन्स्टाल् कर्ने के लीये . और कभी कभी टुन्न् होने की भी ज़रुरत पडटी है । (Wine):D:D

Vista सिर्फ़् Exपेरिमेन्ट् के लिय इन्स्टाल् कीया था ।

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom