The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well there's a difference between pressing two keys n a two-key shortcut , if you know what i mean .

in a two key shortcut you have to keep pressing the first key while pressing the second one , this is a bit tedious , but if you press delete n then hit enter(and that too , the confirmation can be disabled , as in my case) it's much easier than pressing Control-Delete .

Arya , please evaluate it objectively , i'm not bashing the OS , i'm just asking u on a usability basis , be it for mac or linux ... :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, Zeeshan, I'm being as objective as it is humanly possible to be but saying that 'Windows + Backspace' is a "tedious" shortcut is really really lame. It is just mind-blowingly lame.

Both keys are on the right hand side of the keyboard and it requires the use of only one hand. Unless you are missing a thumb (which I doubt you are), it really couldn't be a whole lot simpler.

In all seriousness, even gx_saurav would have trouble cooking up something that lame!

Oh, and BTW, you can add a different shortcut for the 'Move to Trash' command in the System Preferences under Keyboard Shortcuts but I had a hard time trying to think of an easier and more sensible shortcut than 'Command + Delete'. You could use 'Ctrl + .' or something because the two keys are right next to each other. You might even be able to press them with just one finger.

:lol: I still cannot believe you posted that!

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The day WMP will play M4A or MOV, iTunes will play WMA and WMV.

Do you know anything about Power DVD or FFDSHow or Orban? They all play MP4 & M4A in WMP fine cos they are all direct show based. But despite of QuickTime based iTunes doesn't play any music format including wma other then mp3 & aac.

You cannot even read HFS partitions in Windows.

Yup we cannot. But you can read NTFS drives in MacOS X thanx to Microsoft. Now you can also write to NTFS Drives using Macfuse & NTFS-3G thanx to the open source community which I am sure apple will shamefully copy in Leopard.

But in Windows, you have no option to have a separate layer for your widgets... uh, gadgets.

Drag a gadget from gadget container or sidebar to desktop. Done.

The fact that instead of stretching and occupying the whole screen, leaving you looking at ten yards of blank white space on both sides of the webpage, Safari is wise enough to expand only as much as required is a good thing.

Umm...Page zooming, content folding...Nope doesn't rings a bell in your head for sure. Hey, is safari the only app which should be maximized ?

Of course, Windows does not have the stretch-to-fit option either, which in most cases is the better option indeed - especially if you have a thirty inch monitor.

so? That is how things are done in Windows. You get the full desktop real estate.

They are better integrated than Microsoft can ever hope to achieve with Outlook. I save a person's contact details in Address Book and his/her birthday automatically gets added to iCal, his .Mac address to iChat and his email address to Mail. I can connect my Nokia 6300 via Bluetooth and send SMSes to him through my Mac.

Lolz...you are joking right. No seriously, u r, right? Have you ever used outlook ?whatever changes to make in a contact in Outlook are reflected throughout the system. The birthday gets added to calendar, the & everything else which u just mentioned from a long time. Hell even Vista PIM (Windows Mail, Windows Contacts & Windows Calendar) does the same.
I can connect my Nokia 6300 via Bluetooth and send SMSes to him through my Mac.

My Phone explorer 1.59 + Outlook connection + data cable/Bluetooth

And uh, BTW, Windows does not come with Office either.
Tsk tsk.....umm, I hope you know the reason why.

There is no way the colours on the screen of your Windows box will appear the same when printed

How long have u been in Arena Multimedia . No seriously I want to know how long have u been using Photoshop & its color management profile. I guess you don't know how to set colour profile in Windows OS , do u? You set sRGB or whatever profiles you like in Photoshop or Windows Printer color profile & BOOM, it is reflected on all your prints.

Here in Arena Multimedia, my teacher always looks at the projects of other students on my Mac to assess how they will look in print. He told me I had a major advantage because of my Mac and my being in the creative field.

Oh, you are my junior. Well, from now on I don't mind whatever you say :). Now plz go & tell your teacher to open Photoshop -> go to edit -> preference-> colour profile to set the profile to CMYK, BOOM you see & print the same color you see on screen to the printer. Don't worry even I told this to my teachers for the first time :D 3 years back

Mac has Bluetooth device onboard in the hardware, means no more using USB Bluetooth stick. However file transfer using Bluetooth is slow.

No, it isn't

Sorry, I again forgot you hardware knowledge is 0

Speed of Bluetooth 2.0+EDR = 3 MBps

Speed of SE Fast port using data cable using USB 2.0 = 60 MBps. In my K750i when copying files to Memory Stick Pro duo it reaches 8 MBps easily.

Click on the Bluetooth button in the menu bar and select the option 'Set up Bluetooth Device...'. It is pretty must straightforward from there for anyone over the age of twelve. In fact, even this was pretty straightforward stuff. You want to sync something over Bluetooth and yet it somehow never occurred to you to check out the Bluetooth menu. WOW!

Me said:
My data cable of K750i isn't working to sync things though the memory card is visible.

Did I mentioned Bluetooth anywhere?
In fact, you cannot synchronies your phones with Vista even using the PC suites. I've tried it out with Nokia 6300 and the latest version of Nokia PC Suite.

Ok, first you use Nokia PC Suite :shock:

2nd, did u bothered checking in the option for Outlook sync?

I use my phone as a modem, send SMSes from my Mac and read them on it too, send and accept calls, synchronies my address book and calendar - everything by default.

Install Nokia PC Suite + Outlook on PC. BOOM everything is possible. If you are buying an OEM PC (Which Mac is also) then you already have outlook.

Oh, and Windows does? Macs come with an IM client that supports four protocols (Mac, AOL, Jabber and Bonjour) and has excellent audio/video capabilities. Windows comes with a messenger client that... oh wait, Windows does not come with any instant messenger client.

Windows Live messenger, ever tried gathering some info before making a statement

imav said:
in vista u can drag ur gadgets to the desktop

Did I say you cannot?

Yup you did. Sidebar cannot overlay, yes. Can it be put on a separate layer on desktop. Yup. Do some research before bashing for no reason.

On Mac OS X, you get Adium "which can be used to chat with" AOL, Windows Live, Yahoo!, ICQ, Jabber, Bonjour, Google Talk, Apple .Mac, Lotus Sametime, Novel Groupwise, QQ, Gadu-Gadu and Live Journal Talk members.
That is beside that point. Windows does not ship with an IM client while Mac OS X does, and a very capable one at that.

Umm...Windows Live messenger & MSN Messenger, does that rings a bell? They are already there in new OEM PCs & MS was sued for bundling MSN messenger in Vista if you remember. Oh & MacOS X doesn’t comes with Adium. You will need to download it, well you will need to do the same in case of Windows.

You have the OS and I'm challenging you to post the negatives (for the last fifteen posts). Do it, c'mon. Refute whatever I've said in the previous post explaining your so called "unbiased drawbacks". Can you? No, because - ironically enough - this is "the truth revealed".

Braking news : Windows users do not give a damn to Mac users on whatever they are saying.

WOW! I can (sort of) feel the pain of iMav. Poor tyke thought he would use Mac OS X for a few days and then make a list of all the reasons why it is a lousy operating system and post it for the world to see.

Actually, you do that for Windows. We use MacOS X in nearest Apple store just to confirm what you have said & point out your lies.

Now, he's posting it in every other post he makes and has even made it his signature.

Mind looking at you own, or Nepckers sig.

well as I said earlier most of us don’t work for the cia, kgb, raw so don’t care so much for the security part

OMG :D I better secure my super secret recipe for Weight reduction. It is worth a million & Rosy O' Brian will kill to get it :p

Well, Zeeshan, I'm being as objective as it is humanly possible to be but saying that 'Windows + Backspace' is a "tedious" shortcut is really lame. It is just mind-blowingly lame.

it is lame, when there is a "delete" key on keyboard for deleting

In all seriousness, even gx_saurav would have trouble cooking up something that lame!

I just cooked Dal makhni, want to be my guinea pig...I mean, want to be my beta tester. Money back if you die .

iMav, no point argueing dude. We were posting facts & shortcomings in that thread & it got locked. You can yourself understand the situation of this forum where Windows users are regarderd as lamers just cos we do our work without thinking of a computer as a computer, without thinking about it instead treating it just as a tool.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Do you know anything about Power DVD or FFDSHow or Orban? They all play MP4 & M4A in WMP fine cos they are all direct show based. But despite of QuickTime based iTunes doesn't play any music format including wma other then mp3 & aac.
Point noted. Four drawbacks, this one being a somewhat major one for certain long time Windows users.

gx_saurav said:
Yup we cannot. But you can read NTFS drives in MacOS X thanx to Microsoft. Now you can also write to NTFS Drives using Macfuse & NTFS-3G thanx to the open source community which I am sure apple will shamefully copy in Leopard.
Windows users are the last people who should take about copying and stuff. And I think it is spectacular that Apple is embracing open source technologies and not interfering with the people who support open source, instead of shouting that Linux violates xxx number of patents and threatening to take legal action.

gx_saurav said:
Drag a gadget from gadget container or sidebar to desktop. Done.
Obscuring precious screen estate.

gx_saurav said:
so? That is how things are done in Windows. You get the full desktop real estate.
Even if more than half of it is being wasted. It hampers productivity and the ability to multi-task effectively.

gx_saurav said:
Lolz...you are joking right. No seriously, u r, right? Have you ever used outlook ?whatever changes to make in a contact in Outlook are reflected throughout the system. The birthday gets added to calendar, the & everything else which u just mentioned from a long time. Hell even Vista PIM (Windows Mail, Windows Contacts & Windows Calendar) does the same.

My Phone explorer 1.59 + Outlook connection + data cable/Bluetooth

Tsk tsk.....umm, I hope you know the reason why.
Outlook is neither free, nor does it come bundled with PCs from computer manufacturers such as HP, Dell, Lenovo, Sony, etc.

gx_saurav said:
How long have u been in Arena Multimedia . No seriously I want to know how long have u been using Photoshop & its color management profile. I guess you don't know how to set colour profile in Windows OS , do u? You set sRGB or whatever profiles you like in Photoshop or Windows Printer color profile & BOOM, it is reflected on all your prints.

Oh, you are my junior. Well, from now on I don't mind whatever you say :). Now plz go & tell your teacher to open Photoshop -> go to edit -> preference-> colour profile to set the profile to CMYK, BOOM you see & print the same color you see on screen to the printer. Don't worry even I told this to my teachers for the first time :D 3 years back
It is impossible. I know all about colour profiles in Adobe applications and so does my teacher. If you had one/tenth as much knowledge as he has, you would be hundred times more knowledgeable than you are now!
In fact, it was while explaining colour profiles to us that he told us that though colour profiles do a good job of bringing the on-screen colour close to how it would appear in print, it will never be accurate unless you own a Mac. Also, you have to keep changing your colour profiles for different printers. So once you've already prepared the project, if you decide to print in another printer than the one you generally use, you have to ask the printer (the person who does the printing) which colour profile suits his printer, then change your colour profile and then edit the colours if they fluctuate too much from the original.
And even after all that, the prints still would differ slightly. This is the reason most creative people prefer Macs because of the accurate on-screen colour reproduction and this is the reason Adobe's colour profiles have an Apple RGB profile. This is the profile that will give you near accurate on-screen colour reproduction for most professional grade printers.
I admit that I am a bit confused by all this jargon but whatever I have mentioned here is clearly what out teacher told us.

gx_saurav said:
Sorry, I again forgot you hardware knowledge is 0

Speed of Bluetooth 2.0+EDR = 3 MBps

Speed of SE Fast port using data cable using USB 2.0 = 60 MBps. In my K750i when copying files to Memory Stick Pro duo it reaches 8 MBps easily.
You did not even mention USB in your post. You said that "Mac has bluetooth device onboard in the hardware, means no more using USB bluetooth stick. However file transfer using bluetooth is slow." Macs have Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR and no USB bluetooth stick will give you faster speeds than the built-in Bluetooth in Macs do.

gx_saurav said:
Did I mentioned Bluetooth anywhere?
I did sync my W550i once using the data cable but have always used Bluetooth after that. I don't remember how I'd set it up with the USB cable at that time. It might be that you have to first set it up as a Bluetooth device and enable synchronisation with it before using the USB cable. Or you might have to connect it in the phone mode and use the Synchronisation option on the phone. I don't really remember.

gx_saurav said:
Ok, first you use Nokia PC Suite :shock:
I don't have many options if it is not there by default, do I!

gx_saurav said:
2nd, did u bothered checking in the option for Outlook sync?

Install Nokia PC Suite + Outlook on PC. BOOM everything is possible. If you are buying an OEM PC (Which Mac is also) then you already have outlook.
"Outlook is neither free, nor does it come bundled with PCs from computer manufacturers such as HP, Dell, Lenovo, Sony, etc."

gx_saurav said:
Windows Live messenger, ever tried gathering some info before making a statement
It isn't there by default. You complained that Mac "Doesn't comes with a messenger client which works with all protocalls out there (I mean to say adium which is free)". Well, Windows does not come with a messenger client at all.

gx_saurav said:
Yup you did. Sidebar cannot overlay, yes. Can it be put on a separate layer on desktop. Yup. Do some research before bashing for no reason.
I haven't even started yet, and you are already uneasy! Sidebar does it one way and Dashboard another. Neither of them have the option of doing it both ways. I prefer the Dashboard (the effects alone are enough to make the Sidebar look like something designed in 1997) and you prefer the Sidebar. Stop complaining now.

gx_saurav said:
Umm...Windows Live messenger & MSN Messenger, does that rings a bell? They are already there in new OEM PCs & MS was sued for bundling MSN messenger in Vista if you remember.
I certainly don't care who was sued for doing what. I just know that it is an operating system that costs Rs. 12,000 and does not come with an instant messenger client.
As for OEMs. If you are using OEMs anyway, it defeats your primary argument in favour of Windows - our operating system, the way we want it.

gx_saurav said:
Oh & MacOS X doesn’t comes with Adium. You will need to download it, well you will need to do the same in case of Windows.
Mac OS X ships with a very capable instant messaging client. Windows does not. End of discussion.
Adium is not equivalent to Windows Live Messenger, it is equivalent to the likes of Miranda and Trillian.

gx_saurav said:
Actually, you do that for Windows. We use MacOS X in nearest Apple store just to confirm what you have said & point out your lies.
Like what? What huge revelation have you done till now and what else is forthcoming? I can hardly wait...

gx_saurav said:
It certainly does not say something as idiotic "who cares if Macs aren't good at gaming, at least we have a summarize utility", which is similar to what iMav's signature "boast" about Windows.

gx_saurav said:
OMG :D I better secure my super secret recipe for Weight reduction. It is worth a million & Rosy O' Brian will kill to get it :p
Yeah, well, your computer's security might not be important for you, but it is for the rest of the world including me.

gx_saurav said:
it is lame, when there is a "delete" key on keyboard for deleting
OK. You guys have found a fifth flaw. The shortcut for deleting files is 'Ctrl + Delete' instead of just Delete. Genius!

gx_saurav said:
iMav, no point argueing dude. We were posting facts & shortcomings in that thread & it got locked.
All the "shortcomings" are here for all to see. What's stopping you. Continue with it. You'd be bursting to post the shortcomings if there were any. And the fact that you are aimlessly arguing and trying to deviate from the topic only indicates you level of success with finding negatives in the operating system.

gx_saurav said:
You can yourself understand the situation of this forum where Windows users are regarderd as lamers just cos we do our work without thinking of a computer as a computer, without thinking about it instead treating it just as a tool.
Yeah, I can surely see that! :rolleyes:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Windows users are the last people who should take about copying and stuff. And I think it is spectacular that Apple is embracing open source technologies and not interfering with the people who support open source, instead of shouting that Linux violates xxx number of patents and threatening to take legal action.

You sound just like Anu Malik, when after copying a whole hollywood song "Makarena" he said, I didn't copy, i just took inspiration :D

Even if more than half of it is being wasted. It hampers productivity and the ability to multi-task effectively.

Mac users like to see Palated Windows & that too many of them. Windows users like to see Single Window for single app.

Outlook is neither free, nor does it come bundled with PCs from computer manufacturers such as HP, Dell, Lenovo, Sony, etc.

Tsk tsk....go check again. MS Office OEM is always a bundle.

In fact, it was while explaining colour profiles to us that he told us that though colour profiles do a good job of bringing the on-screen colour close to how it would appear in print, it will never be accurate unless you own a Mac. Also, you have to keep changing your colour profiles for different printers. So once you've already prepared the project, if you decide to print in another printer than the one you generally use, you have to ask the printer (the person who does the printing) which colour profile suits his printer, then change your colour profile and then edit the colours if they fluctuate too much from the original.
And even after all that, the prints still would differ slightly. This is the reason most creative people prefer Macs because of the accurate on-screen colour reproduction and this is the reason Adobe's colour profiles have an Apple RGB profile. This is the profile that will give you near accurate on-screen colour reproduction for most professional grade printers.
I admit that I am a bit confused by all this jargon but whatever I have mentioned here is clearly what out teacher told us.

:ROFL:

First, Photoshop uses sRGB color profile to show something on screen which you can change to CMYK if u want. Now you see the color as it will be printed.

In Vista (cos it is new) Go to control panel & search for color (a simple term) & it will give u an option to set a colour profile. Set any one you like & select "Set as default"

1) Why won't it be accurate ? What you see on screen now (the selected color profile) is what you get in printer (The system wide color profile). Have you ever tried printing something in Windows after setting a color profile?

2) Nope, once you set the default color profile, this will be the default for all printers from now on.

3) Why? I don't find a reason, do u? Plz mention why. Does the printer changes itself when used on Windows :D or are you just making stories. Arya, u r starting to learn photoshop. There are photoshop gurus out here already (nikhil, goobi)

You did not even mention USB in your post.

Did u see the word "Data cable";)

Macs have Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR and no USB bluetooth stick will give you faster speeds than the built-in Bluetooth in Macs do.

Why is that? :confused: Does Mac is the only one out there which can use Blue tooth 2.0+EDR in a computer, then what happened to Belkin, D-Link bluetooth 2.0 adapters available in the marekt, what happened to HP povilian Laptops with inbuilt bluetooth 2.0 HDR.

I did sync my W550i once using the data cable but have always used Bluetooth after that. I don't remember how I'd set it up with the USB cable at that time. It might be that you have to first set it up as a Bluetooth device and enable synchronisation with it before using the USB cable. Or you might have to connect it in the phone mode and use the Synchronisation option on the phone. I don't really remember.

You did this, you did that...now you don't remembar. Old story with you. :))

I don't have many options if it is not there by default, do I!

Did u tried searching for Mobtime cell phone manager ?

And the fact that you are aimlessly arguing and trying to deviate from the topic only indicates you level of success with finding negatives in the operating system.

:D did you for once tried to read & understand the meaning of what i said

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I hope you don't mind that I am skipping past the nonsense.

gx_saurav said:
Mac users like to see Palated Windows & that too many of them. Windows users like to see Single Window for single app.
They don't have any choice.

gx_saurav said:
Tsk tsk....go check again. MS Office OEM is always a bundle.
It never is. I've seen tens of people buy laptops from various companies and not one of them ever shipped with Microsoft Office installed.

gx_saurav said:
:ROFL:

First, Photoshop uses sRGB color profile to show something on screen which you can change to CMYK if u want. Now you see the color as it will be printed.

In Vista (cos it is new) Go to control panel & search for color (a simple term) & it will give u an option to set a colour profile. Set any one you like & select "Set as default"

1) Why won't it be accurate ? What you see on screen now (the selected color profile) is what you get in printer (The system wide color profile). Have you ever tried printing something in Windows after setting a color profile?

2) Nope, once you set the default color profile, this will be the default for all printers from now on.

3) Why? I don't find a reason, do u? Plz mention why. Does the printer changes itself when used on Windows :D or are you just making stories. Arya, u r starting to learn photoshop. There are photoshop gurus out here already (nikhil, goobi)
I'll get back to you on this one tomorrow.

gx_saurav said:
Did u see the word "Data cable";)
No, I didn't. This is exactly what you said, "Mac has bluetooth device onboard in the hardware, means no more using USB bluetooth stick. However file transfer using bluetooth is slow." You made it sound like, for some reason, USB bluetooth devices are faster than the built-in receiver that Macs have.

gx_saurav said:
Why is that? :confused: Does Mac is the only one out there which can use Blue tooth 2.0+EDR in a computer, then what happened to Belkin, D-Link bluetooth 2.0 adapters available in the marekt, what happened to HP povilian Laptops with inbuilt bluetooth 2.0 HDR.
It really isn't my fault that you were whiling away your time in the "casanova institute of love" when we were learning English. I said that "no USB bluetooth stick will give you faster speeds than the built-in Bluetooth in Macs do". Both have Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR. How can the USB devices give you faster speeds then! If two bikes are running at 60 Km/h, both have the same speed, don't they? Don't make me resort to trying to make you understand this in hindi now

gx_saurav said:
You did this, you did that...now you don't remembar. Old story with you. :))
:rolleyes:

gx_saurav said:
Did u tried searching for Mobtime cell phone manager ?
Why should I! Why should any person have to resort to using additional software (and that too from third parties) for doing something as basic as synchronising their phone with their computer in 2007!
I buy a phone and I buy Vista, all excited about what is supposed to be the latest and greatest operating system. I connect my phone and the operating system does not even blink. I use the file manager option and it gets recognised as flash storage. That's it. Then I have to install a stupid PC Suite. It turns out, even the PC Suite won't let me synchronise my phone with the computer. Then someone tells me that I need to buy and install another piece of software for doing something I should've been able to do as soon as I connected my phone to my computer. Duh! In other words, Vista's just as useful for my phone as Windows 98 is.

gx_saurav said:
:D did you for once tried to read & understand the meaning of what i said
No, I only understand human tongue, unfortunately!

assasin

Banned
Even if more than half of it is being wasted. It hampers productivity and the ability to multi-task effectively
if u want then atleast u can resize the window to ur liking which will give u ability to multitask.but to go full screen in mac u need to D/L 3rd party app.so sad aint it? .:grin:

This is the reason most creative people prefer Macs

if that had been the case then the no of ppl using mac 2day wud hav been more than it really is.

You did not even mention USB in your post. You said that "Mac has bluetooth device onboard in the hardware, means no more using USB bluetooth stick. However file transfer using bluetooth is slow." Macs have Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR and no USB bluetooth stick will give you faster speeds than the built-in Bluetooth in Macs do.

buy ur self a good quality USB 2.0 bluetooth dongle and u'll get the idea of the transfer speeds.
wake up dood.wat do u think that the in-built bluetooth of ur mac is built with something out of this world??its just that most ppl use chaep usb bluetooth dongle which dont support good transfer speeds.

Yeah, well, your computer's security might not be important for you, but it is for the rest of the world including me.
atleast we hav 3rd party apps to take care of security in Windows.but for macs u dont even hav 3rd party apps to take care of the 'cut' function.

Why should I! Why should any person have to resort to using additional software (and that too from third parties) for doing something as basic as synchronising their phone with their computer in 2007!

then why sud anyone hafta use any 3rd party apps to as simple & basic a thing as making a window fullscreen in 2007?????

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
assasin said:
if u want then atleast u can resize the window to ur liking which will give u ability to multitask.but to go full screen in mac u need to D/L 3rd party app.so sad aint it? .:grin:
No, you can resize the window to your liking on a Mac too so you can stretch it to occupy as much space as possible. At least on a Mac, you can just re-size it once and leave it but on Windows, you have to keep resizing your window as the pages you are loading in your browser change.

assasin said:
if that had been the case then the no of ppl using mac 2day wud hav been more than it really is.
Everyone knows that Macs are very popular in the creative and education fields and I don't need to explain it to you like a kid. I would rather they were not so popular, but I can't help it, can I?

assasin said:
buy ur self a good quality USB 2.0 bluetooth dongle and u'll get the idea of the transfer speeds.
wake up dood.wat do u think that the in-built bluetooth of ur mac is built with something out of this world??its just that most ppl use chaep usb bluetooth dongle which dont support good transfer speeds.
Did all of you bunk the grammar classes in junior school? I said that "Macs have Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR and no USB bluetooth stick will give you faster speeds than the built-in Bluetooth in Macs do." This statement is hundred percent accurate. I did not say that the in-built Bluetooth on Macs is faster than the USB Bluetooth sticks out there. If both have Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, both will have the same speeds. But since Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR is the fastest Bluetooth standard in the world, you can never have a USB Bluetooth stick that performs better than the in-built Bluetooth in Macs. Is it so difficult to understand your simple, everyday English!

assasin said:
atleast we hav 3rd party apps to take care of security in Windows.but for macs u dont even hav 3rd party apps to take care of the 'cut' function.
Even people who support Windows must be thinking how lame you guys' argument is. There is one oversight in the operating system - you cannot cut and paste a file between two drives and you guys have stuck to it like one magnet on another. You have absolutely nothing else to criticise. I take that as a huge complement for the operating system that even when they are challenged to do so, the best the detractors can do is number four bugs out of which only one can be considered a major one.
And when I'll start with the things that Mac OS X does by default and you cannot do in Windows even with paid third party software, you won't be quite the big-mouth that you are now!

gx_saurav said:
then why sud anyone hafta use any 3rd party apps to as simple & basic a thing as making a window fullscreen in 2007?????
Just drag any window and make it full screen. It will remember that setting and never change unless you want it to. And in applications that need as much space as they can have, they do go full screen automatically such as iPhoto, TextEdit, iCal, etc. It is only in applications that waste screen space that they occupy only as much as they need to like Safari, iChat, etc. You don't need a messenger with a list of contacts to use the whole screen and waste eighty percent of it. It is highly inefficient. You use Windows and are stuck with it, so you have no option. Of course you'll want to defend it when you aren't left with much choice.

At present I am using OmniWeb to browse this forum. It is using half the screen space and I can easily broswe this forum in that. Meanwhile, I can see my RSS reader on the side with a feed I am in the middle of reading, a photoshop document I have open, my iTunes window that shows me what's playing, a text document I need and my email client. I don't need to switch different windows for status updates on my other applications. Mac users always have the tendency to work on several applications at once. Windows users would generally be working on three applications together and two of them would be programs that do not need any user interaction. Your mindset changes when you switch to a Mac, you become more efficient.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arya while compiling my difference between mac and pc article i came across a blog which said tht previously multimedia pplications were mac exclusive and hence mac was preffered but now the applications are not exclusive ....

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It was written by someone who dislikes Macs and is just as highly informed as you guys. One of the most important applications in the creative field today is Final Cut Studio and the four applications it comes with. The fifth one has been launched recently and most probably, that will become just as famous. It is the Photoshop of movie production. Almost every Hollywood movie with hi-fi special effects has FCP involved.

Then there is RenderMan, a software that runs only on Mac servers and is the holy grail of animation. Dreamworks uses it - so does every other animation studio worth its salt.

There are a lot of examples but I don't know about each one. And anyway, on a Mac you can run every application in the world, but you cannot run Mac applications on your everyday computer. These guys in movies and all have no shortage of money anyway. What do you think they will choose?

Anyway, please don't go off-topic. Everyone knows how popular Macs are in the creative field. Just show me those "unbiased" drawbacks you were talking about...

Oh, and BTW, I have a friend Siddharth who is into music. He is a good pianist and is into learning the Guitar these days. He did not have any idea what Macs were. When he saw my MBP, he was absolutely stunned by the looks of it. He asked me the price and all and I told him. Then I told him that it does not come with Windows. "Eh saala, dedh lakh ka machine me Windows tak install karke nahin deta hai!"

I told him it does not have Linux either, in case that was what he had in mind. And then I showed him Mac OS X. He was indifferent to it. He liked the looks and the cool effects but he did not think it was something special. He did love the fact though, that I could browse the Internet without running any antivirus.

Then he saw the GarageBand icon in the dock and asked me what that was. Since I never use that application, I told him it was useless. He clicked on it nevertheless. If you would have seen it that day, you wouldn't have believed it. Within ten minutes, he already had all sorts of waves and all and something that looked like graphs was open and I don't even know what it was. He told me that it was better than any "virtual synthesizer" he had ever used on Windows and he asked me where he could buy a Mac and how much did the software cost. When I told him it was free, "tu Internet se piracy [sic] kar liya hoga aur besi bak-bak kar raha hai. Dus hazaar se upar to is software ka hi lag jaayega!"

He couldn't believe me. But he did when I showed him the software mentioned in the manual. His birthday is in September and he has asked me to pray for him that he can get a Mac on his birthday. :)

So, I hope you see why Macs are preferred by creative people. Back to the topic now, shall we... the drawbacks, flaws?

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yawn :))))))))) Good Morning.
What the.... this thread it still running :confused:

They don't have any choice

Minimize, Restore, Resize from any corner or side of a Windows. Nope that doesn't rings a bell in your head for sure.

It never is. I've seen tens of people buy laptops from various companies and not one of them ever shipped with Microsoft Office installed.

He he he.....Dude, plz do not talk about OEM PCs now, cos just like hardware your knowledge is 0

By default Office OEM edition is bundled with Most OEM PCs running Windows. You do have an option not to buy it if you already have an Office License. Go check again on Dell.com or HP or Alienware....damn we got so many choices & beast machines to chose from :D

I'll get back to you on this one tomorrow.

lolz...pwned. Thats why I tell you to reserch first. You are new to Mac & Desigining boy, consult nikhil or goobi about photoshop & respect those who are senior to u :)

No, I didn't. This is exactly what you said, "Mac has bluetooth device onboard in the hardware, means no more using USB bluetooth stick. However file transfer using bluetooth is slow." You made it sound like, for some reason, USB bluetooth devices are faster than the built-in receiver that Macs have.

Any sane person in this world will know that Bluetooth is slower then Data cable. That is what I said there. hey assasin, iMav Zeeshan, did you guys had any trouble understanding in what i said above ? Arya, you sure you didn't want to read further & made up your own meaning. i didn't make it sound anything, it is as simple as it gets.

said that "no USB bluetooth stick will give you faster speeds than the built-in Bluetooth in Macs do". Both have Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR. How can the USB devices give you faster speeds then!

This time you made it sound like "Bluetooth device in Mac is superior to those USB Bluetooth dongles" :D. I know I know, 0 hardware knowledge

Then you are a lame user. OS Manufacturer doesn't make a Phone, & thats why Phone manufacturer make such software. You are publically saying that 3rd party developers shouldn't be there. Like you mentioned in one other thread that "Developers don't like to make Music player for Mac cos it comes with a wonderful software called iTunes from Apple already" :D what a reason for not developing an app.

assasin said:

Genuine Flaw in Mac again

No, you can resize the window to your liking on a Mac too so you can stretch it to occupy as much space as possible. At least on a Mac, you can just re-size it once and leave it but on Windows, you have to keep resizing your window as the pages you are loading in your browser change.

Its called Maximize in Windows. That middle button among the 3 buttons on top left.

Everyone knows that Macs are very popular in the creative and education fields and I don't need to explain it to you like a kid. I would rather they were not so popular, but I can't help it, can I?

Yup Macs are popular in creative field, but I mentioned this long ago to andy & seems u forgot to ask him. This depends on what application the Directar or designers use.

And when I'll start with the things that Mac OS X does by default and you cannot do in Windows even with paid third party software, you won't be quite the big-mouth that you are now!

Braking news : Windows users do not give a damn to Macboys challenge on forum.

It is highly inefficient. You use Windows and are stuck with it, so you have no option. Of course you'll want to defend it when you aren't left with much choice.

Restore, Resize from any side of a window...nope doesn't rings a bell in your head.

Windows users would generally be working on three applications together and two of them would be programs that do not need any user interaction. Your mindset changes when you switch to a Mac, you become more efficient.

He he...you don't do much do u, or U have no idea how "More" work is done, do u? Go ask the working guys of this forum how they rape & rade Windows everyday to maximum performance :D

It was written by someone who dislikes Macs and is just as highly informed as you guys. One of the most important applications in the creative field today is Final Cut Studio and the four applications it comes with

Ya, right. If someone doesn't likes a Mac then he is a Mac hater despite of the fact that he find it flawed genuinely.

About FCP....umm Arya, do u know the name of the software Adobe After Effect & Autodesk combustion ? They are used together more then FCP out there. No production pipeline is without combustion (it makes it damn easy to interprest 3D data in composition work).
Then there is RenderMan, a software that runs only on Mac servers and is the holy grail of animation. Dreamworks uses it - so does every other animation studio worth its salt.

Renderman is actually a standerd, & is very costly. It is getting tough competiton in the animation market from Mental Ray cos mental ray runs on both PC & Mac (Alias Maya, Softimage & 3Ds Max) & also Linux. Renderman is still more used for animation from pixar etc. Umm...have u been reading the making of movies like Posidon or Underworld 2 or Pirates 2/3.

There are a lot of examples but I don't know about each one. And anyway, on a Mac you can run every application in the world, but you cannot run Mac applications on your everyday computer. These guys in movies and all have no shortage of money anyway. What do you think they will choose?

So, is that our fault that Apple isn't releasing MacOS X for general PCs when both Mac & PC are exectly same hardware wise.

praka123

left this forum longback
why there is no one react against windows fanboys?Are U all windows fanboys-the devil's disciples,eh?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Minimize, Restore, Resize from any corner or side of a Windows. Nope that doesn't rings a bell in your head for sure.
There's Yahoo! OK, drag Internet Explorer to occupy 800 pixels. Great! OK, there's Microsoft, increase the size. Wait, it's Google now, decrease it. Idiot!

gx_saurav said:
He he he.....Dude, plz do not talk about OEM PCs now, cos just like hardware your knowledge is 0

By default Office OEM edition is bundled with Most OEM PCs running Windows. You do have an option not to buy it if you already have an Office License. Go check again on Dell.com or HP or Alienware....damn we got so many choices & beast machines to chose from :D
Just because you are saying does not mean it is true. I already know your capacity to lie - it is unrivaled.
Even if PCs did come with Office installed, it would still defeat your primary argument in favour of Windows - our OS, the way we want it (which is a stupid argument in the first place).

gx_saurav said:
lolz...pwned. Thats why I tell you to reserch first. You are new to Mac & Desigining boy, consult nikhil or goobi about photoshop & respect those who are senior to u :)
Yeah... let's see... I'll be back with this one. Enjoy till then! And if you consider yourself senior to me, LOL!, you must be on crack or something.

gx_saurav said:
Any sane person in this world will know that Bluetooth is slower then Data cable. That is what I said there. hey assasin, iMav Zeeshan, did you guys had any trouble understanding in what i said above ? Arya, you sure you didn't want to read further & made up your own meaning. i didn't make it sound anything, it is as simple as it gets.
Are you nuts! You did not even mention data cable anywhere. You said that since Macs come with Bluetooth built-in, you do not need to use external Bluetooth peripherals but the built-in Bluetooth is slow.

gx_saurav said:
This time you made it sound like "Bluetooth device in Mac is superior to those USB Bluetooth dongles" :D. I know I know, 0 hardware knowledge
It is hardly my fault that your knowledge of the English language is 0.

gx_saurav said:
Then you are a lame user. OS Manufacturer doesn't make a Phone, & thats why Phone manufacturer make such software. You are publically saying that 3rd party developers shouldn't be there. Like you mentioned in one other thread that "Developers don't like to make Music player for Mac cos it comes with a wonderful software called iTunes from Apple already" :D what a reason for not developing an app.
Yes, it is a great reason. Developers make applications because they want people to use their applications. But Mac users generally do not need alternatives for the programs that are there by default because unlike Windows, the default programs are spectacularly good. However, there are a few alternatives that do play WMA on a Mac starting with Windows Media Player itself (which is one of the crappiest programs on the Mac).
And you're excuse for Microsoft not bundling any support for synchronisation of phones is pathetic. If that is the case, Windows should not come with any hardware drives apart from those that are manufactured by Microsoft. The peripheral manufacturers should make their own drivers and the user should sit around installing them. Idiot!

gx_saurav said:
Genuine Flaw in Mac again
That it does not have the same crap user interface conventions that Windows has? That it has a better interface? No, thanks! If we wanted to use Windows in the first place, we wouldn't have bothered with Mac OS X. If you do, uninstall it and get one with your life (if you have one).

gx_saurav said:
Its called Maximize in Windows. That middle button among the 3 buttons on top left.
I would have thought that you would at least have some knowledge about Windows even if your knowledge about Mac OS X (even after using it for a few days) is languishing at the bottom of the graph. I was wrong, unfortunately.

gx_saurav said:
Restore, Resize from any side of a window...nope doesn't rings a bell in your head.
"There's Yahoo! OK, drag Internet Explorer to occupy 800 pixels. Great! OK, there's Microsoft, increase the size. Wait, it's Google now, decrease it. Idiot!"

gx_saurav said:
So, is that our fault that Apple isn't releasing MacOS X for general PCs when both Mac & PC are exectly same hardware wise.
Who is talking about you here? We are talking about sensible people who need to use some of the Mac OS X software and realise that Macs are the only computers that allow you to run every software in the world, reasons be damned.

Since you guys are no good, I can nominate another flaw in Mac OS X myself. You can only resize from one handle in the bottom right corner of windows. Flaw number six. Any more?

kenshin1988 said:
Old mac lover created a thread EIEIO
and in his thread he invited his frnds EIEIO
and a mac boy here and a fan boy there
here a boy there a boy everywhere a fanboy
Old mac lover created a thread EIEIO. :D:D

don't take it to the heart....its just for fun...hv fun.:)
LOL! :lol:

That is really funny and well composed. :lol:

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
some people regret buying a mac and then go around the world trying to justify to themselves that their mac is better than the others by coming up with lame posts :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
LOL! Funniest post in the world. If there is only one expenditure I've ever done that I do not regret, it is buying my Mac.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yawn : Good afternoon.

Damn I need to eat an Apple a day to keep the sleep away :D

There's Yahoo! OK, drag Internet Explorer to occupy 800 pixels. Great! OK, there's Microsoft, increase the size. Wait, it's Google now, decrease it. Idiot!
Nope, the Windows is always maximised & all the content u need fits in it. Hye you still use 800X600 ?
Even if PCs did come with Office installed, it would still defeat your primary argument in favour of Windows - our OS, the way we want it (which is a stupid argument in the first place).
I guess someone forgot to read again. The reason for me mentioning Office OEM in OEM PCs cos you said OEM PCs do not come with outlook. Well here is an eye opener for you they do come by default which you have an option not to select

Yeah... let's see... I'll be back with this one. Enjoy till then! And if you consider yourself senior to me, LOL!, you must be on crack or something.
Ah....the sheer joy of newcomers disrespecting the oldies. :rolleyes:. What else can we expect from you arya.

Are you nuts! You did not even mention data cable anywhere. You said that since Macs come with Bluetooth built-in, you do not need to use external Bluetooth peripherals but the built-in Bluetooth is slow.
Quote from my post

Me said:
Mac has bluetooth device onboard in the hardware, means no more using USB bluetooth stick. However file transfer using bluetooth is slow. My data cable of K750i isn't working to sync things thogh the memory card is visible.
Me said:
This just in, I need to attach my Mobile phone to Mac using data cable. Any idea arya? if you are able to connect your SE W500i then My K750i can also be added.
I think you have some reading or understanding problem.

It is hardly my fault that your knowledge of the English language is 0.
I wonder arya, if you can speak english the way u write it :D
But Mac users generally do not need alternatives for the programs that are there by default because unlike Windows, the default programs are spectacularly good.
Lolz...go & show this statement to a developer.

Who is talking about you here? We are talking about sensible people who need to use some of the Mac OS X software and realise that Macs are the only computers that allow you to run every software in the world, reasons be damned.
Reason is why we are talking in this forum. Unlike you, not everyone has filthy rich bank balence.
LOL! Funniest post in the world. If there is only one expenditure I've ever done that I do not regret, it is buying my Mac.
We understand you pain arya, no need to justify to yourself that u made a good decision buying a Mac.

Since you guys are no good, I can nominate another flaw in Mac OS X myself. You can only resize from one handle in the bottom right corner of windows. Flaw number six. Any more?
Me said:
That still doesn't rings a bell :D

Oh well...guess that will be all for me today, got 2 classes & then some people to meet. buh bye.

Oh & in the end....another quote from one of my other posts
Me said:
At the end of the day it is us WIndows users using maximum ammount of 3rd party hardware. Maximum ammount of 3rd party softwarr. Games, the ability to run our OS the way we want to. We do not change ourself according to Windows, we change Windows according to our needs. Thats disection & ability to Mod our computer the way we want.

For more info on screwing Windows & Modding it compleately, Contact Vishal

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
aryayush said:
OK. You guys have found a fifth flaw. The shortcut for deleting files is 'Ctrl + Delete' instead of just Delete. Genius!

is it ? i thought it was shift+del (permanent delete)

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
So, Windows fanboys are having a hard time in finding OS X's fault. It is indeed difficult to find out the faults in something that is almost perfect.

mav said:
3) Non-Standard keyboard shortcuts.
Two companies are offering two different operating systems. Which one would you call a "standard" one?

aryayush said:
Everything on Earth has shortcomings. BMW's cars have shortcomings too but it does not change the fact that they make the best cars. Mac OS X has shortcomings too - doesn't change the fact that it is the best operating system.
Sorry to get a little off-topic here, but even BMW agrees that their hardware runs better without windows. ("OUR HARDWARE RUNS BETTER WITHOUT WINDOWS" reads one of BMW's ads.)

gx_saurav said:
At least, it doesn't read something like:
"Windows can do everything Linux can do .... but neither can do what Mac OS X can!!!
Mac OS X might lack in no. of game titles available but atleast it has less restrictions in using special characters in file names;)"

gx_saurav said:
I just cooked Dal makhni, want to be my guinea pig...I mean, want to be my beta tester. Money back if you die .
Fine. You are the one who posts the lamest posts here.

gx_saurav said:

3) Why? I don't find a reason, do u? Plz mention why. Does the printer changes itself when used on Windows or are you just making stories. Arya, u r starting to learn photoshop. There are photoshop gurus out here already (nikhil, goobi)
Macs have accurate colour reproduction because of the use of a technology called ColorSync.

shantanu said:
is it ? i thought it was shift+del (permanent delete)
It's the shortcut to delete files on Mac OS X. Shift+del is the shortcut for windows.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
मैक ओएस एक्स सबका गुरु है । लेकीन एक सामान्य व्यिक्तय ( जीस् कंप्युटर के बारे मे कम आता है वो Wईण्ढ्ows Xp इस्तेमाल करते है ।)

समझदार लोग मैक ओएस एक्स इस्तेमाल करते है ।

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom