The Photography Thread

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@pranav0091 : yes, with decrease in f number like going from f2.8 to f5.6 with increase in focal length, the light intensity(amount of light) does decrease since it is a collective effect of lens and the aperture available.I was just talking about the opening of the the diaphragm alone.

Agree, but why would you be concerned about the absolute magnitude of the opening of the diaphragm ?
The f number describes the speed, and the focal length describes the usage. As a photographer, I am not sure why one would be concerned about the absolute size of the opening at all.

But on a purely technical level, yes, you are perfectly correct. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
aperture decreases in zoom lens from 2.8 to 5.6 ??? ...which lens you are talking about ...is it kit lens with variable aperture like f3.5-5 or u include the fixed aperture lens like 17-50 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 too in same theory

and when zoom lens have bigger aperture it obviously become big and may have bigger opening too ...thats coz you have to maintain bigger aperture.

lastly its very difficult to take good portrait at f2.8 or f1.8 most people shoot at f4 or f5.6

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Agree, but why would you be concerned about the absolute magnitude of the opening of the diaphragm ?
The f number describes the speed, and the focal length describes the usage. As a photographer, I am not sure why one would be concerned about the absolute size of the opening at all.

When you hit the shutter button there are 3 things that happen, the diaphragm/shutter closes and opens up, the sensor starts recording the image and in case of an SLR the mirror flips out of the way to allow light to reach the sensor.

The amount of light captured depends on 3 things, which most photographers jargonize as the triangle of exposure. The shutter speed shows how long the shutter remains open (1/60 is 1/60th of a second or 0.1 sec ).

The f stop gives us the diameter of the opening (f/2.8 means that at 28mm focal length the diameter of the opening will be 10mm), this means that the higher the fstop or lower the so called fstop number, more light comes in if the shutter remains open for the same amount of time. This means that you can take the same pic with a much faster shutter speed and hence lenses with lower fstop numbers f/1.8 or even f/1.2 are called fast lenses. BTW the higher the aperture opening the bigger the lens needs to be and hence more glass, that is why photographers are so hung up on the term glass, viz "this is a better glass" "look at all that glass"

The third is the ISO, which basically means how much of the image the image is enhanced or guessed by the camera. A high ISO means that you can get the click with faster shutter speed but there will be less detail since most of the image is not captured, it's guessed by the camera. This is the same thing that happens when you increase the brightness of your image on a computer

A high gyan explanation of the above: *www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=45

An amazing simulator as to what settings do what : *www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am not sure what u guys discussing ...can some one tell me the actual topic of discussion please ...I thought u were discussion something about portrait photography:chinscratch:

lm2k

Journeyman

oh
to get these
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3719/11132863916_1396685899_z.jpg
*farm6.staticflickr.com/5488/11132866986_25221d5902_z.jpg
these are just for example i tried yesterday, didnt had those tiny festival lights.
how:idea:
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/11133011443_d89cd664c8_z.jpg
if i knew the diameter of the iris opening roughly , max diameter of the external shape<iris opening.
long time ago i had seen such fotos somewhere and always wanted to try it and later learnd that external shape must be<iris thought it wud be possible only using a DSLR, later from this discussinn i got the idea to try it.

@sujoyp: i was talking in general about the lens aperture. I think the topic was portrature and focal length:))

sujoyp

Grand Master
hmmm you guys are disussing as of we are discussing some optical physics project :D

Soo after all those talking who tried shooting portraits actually ;) and trying the various 135mm, 85mm, 50mm and f2.8, f4 apertures :D

@IM2K getting those shape is simple but focussing on something inbetween and getting that shape is difficult

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
For those artistic projects, the general rule of thumb is that you should make the opening as small as you possibly can (Didnt know the limits wrt the iris, thanks :) ). The heart already looks a bit too large to my eyes.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Amlan I have seen almost 50+ videos of "How to take good portraits" "How to shoot portrait with single flash" "How to use reflectors" "How to use umbrellas" " How to make simple poses" etc ....but shot only once after that...and pics were bit dark I would say (and I need a better model to try next time :D )
The first 5 are with my home studio :)
Flickr: sujoypp's Photostream

lm2k

Journeyman
@pranav0091: exactly they it appears big because i cropped the pic.
@sujoyp: Nice work,in most of the pics posing is done nicely. About the shapes, i still have to do some more work on it.
@izzikio_rage : nice and short vid, very informative. thanx for sharing.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
2 pages and no photo. Posting a picture here.

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7423/11176187916_ce32407cc6_b.jpg

These ads are making the photo look tiny :-x

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Posting one after a long time. This was taken on the night of Diwali. No tripod, so placed the camera on a flat surface focusing the sky. Ultra Intervalometer (CHDK) used. Did some PP to enhance and to remove smoke.

*img837.imageshack.us/img837/5904/tjai.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
Atlast got chance of birding

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7414/11383112226_07648ce2fb_z.jpg
DSC_0480 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3785/11383257213_9474980771_z.jpg
DSC_0466 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/11383199744_e9e464a349_z.jpg
DSC_0460 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7365/11383219174_2ffa2240db_z.jpg
DSC_0452 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7364/11383237024_7a16d11c76_z.jpg
DSC_0427 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2806/11383223215_5eed95417e_z.jpg
DSC_0424 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7360/11383243026_9f7c067ff1_z.jpg
DSC_0384-2 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/11383205483_24d7ac1975_z.jpg
DSC_0383 by sujoyp, on Flickr

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nice work Sujoy :thumbs:

466 - Slightly out of focus. AF is tricky???
460 - Little work on gimp or PS would have helped to get the head look better. It's kinda look little under exposed. Yeah, dark head in well lit environment is little tough to get it right out of the camera. I guess you have tried... :)
427 - The one I like most. cute pose... :)
384-2 - Underexposed.
383 - Nice colour but other elements like dried buds and webs makes it not working.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@sujoyp - Nice Photos. So you got your camera back ??
Where do you find these variety of birds to photograph, may be mention the names ?

I like 427 & 460 the best. The others could had been great if they were sharper.

Top Bottom