The Photography Thread

sujoyp

Grand Master
@gen what is that red tint all over the leaves and branches...and y did u use ND filter?? purpose ?
2nd one is fine I think...not bad

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@pranav0091, CyberKID, sujoyp - Thanks for the feedback.

@gen what is that red tint all over the leaves and branches
Probably sunlight, If you are asking about the 2nd one.

y did u use ND filter?? purpose ?
2nd one is fine I think...not bad
I wanted to get the smooth water look (no ripples). That's why the 2 sec shutter speed & ND filter.

I'm thinking may be trees/plants are not good subjects for long exposure,even a little wind might be causing a blurry effect & not got a sharp pic.

sujoyp

Grand Master
no gen I am talking about the 1st pic the left side tree branches are all red...that i can see from this pic....then I open that in flickr and to my horror what happened to that pic ???

those are all strange details of tree top even right side tree is looking strange....water is great but tree produced some strange details.

maybe as u said due to movement of leaves while long exposure it happened.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Another of my shot.
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7336/11082916043_cb3b0085ff_z.jpg
The Midday Flower cropped by CyberK1D, on Flickr

lm2k

Journeyman
@Stuge : Awesome startrails.
@CyberKID : Nice flower, but i also see many leaves and one pot in the background.

some of mine. didnt get chance to click any this month:-(
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3707/9716253704_98620a259a_z.jpg
Sx150is
Settings: 1/640 ƒ/3.4 ISO 80 Fl:28mm(35 mm Eq)

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7346/9713019953_3ce351ec38_z.jpg
Sx150is
Settings: 1/125 ƒ/4 ISO 200 Fl:65mm(35 mm Eq)

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/9523925420_5a8b5dc179_z.jpg
Sx150is
Settings: 1/500 ƒ/5 ISO 80 Fl:124mm(35 mm Eq)

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
@lm2k: Couldn't have done anything for those leaves or those pots (actually there are two of them in the background). :| Maybe, next time, I'll try secluding the subjects away from such distractions.:razz:
BTW, your Portulaca too has come out great.

lm2k

Journeyman
@sujoyp and @Gen.Libeb:Thnx, It is some kind of a catterpillar, I found it on one of my rose plant.

@CyberKID:Thnx. and thnx for the name, i didnt knew it:).

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@Abhinav: that is an amazing startrails pic .... as are all the others you've put up. You really do need to give us a tutorial of these sometime

BTW, was reading up a bit about lenses ever since I heard that Sujoy got that huge bazooka of a lens, and found this really great video about how a lens affects portraits (which we'll all end up shooting for our friends, family, SO etc.)

so check this out, gist is that you should shoot with something like a 135mm for best effects

[youtube]*www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRoqNx9rlVA#t=339[/youtube]
How Lens Focal Length Shapes the Face & Controls Perspective: A Lighting Tutorial - YouTube

sujoyp

Grand Master
its 135mm on full frame...soo that makes 85mm on crop sensor :D thats what most people use for portraits :) 85mmf1.8 is very popular

lm2k

Journeyman
here is another comparison
Untitled Document

i find not much difference beyond 100mm except increase inpincushion distortion.
but even for point and shoots, anything beyond 150mm(35mm eq) produces acceptable results, while wide angle like 28mm distorts or produces near-far effect where the object near to the lens appears large and that object located even a little far appears too small.
what about others which focal length do you guys use for portrature?

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Till now i was shooting at the highest focal length, but for a different reason. I wanted the shallow depth of feild that came with a long focal length. Didn't know that shape also changes :confused:

My kit lens is 50mm at the top, ie 75mm in 35 equvi, so i guess its good enough. Will be hard to use a bounce flash at this distance though

sujoyp

Grand Master
I use my 17-50 for portraits too...50mm prime become 75-80mm and that needs lots of space for full body..impossible in my small studio :D ...soo I use 35mm-50mm DX for most shots

lm2k

Journeyman
Till now i was shooting at the highest focal length, but for a different reason. I wanted the shallow depth of feild that came with a long focal length. Didn't know that shape also changes :confused:
Same with me too. But not necessary to stick to the rule, for taking environmental portraits sometimes it wide angle is also useful.

@sujoyp: I had read somewhere that 80/85 mm(prime with wide aperture) lens is ideal, by using zoom lens somehow we dont get that much aperture . there should be some increase in zoom lens with reduction in aperture.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@sujoyp: I had read somewhere that 80/85 mm(prime with wide aperture) lens is ideal, by using zoom lens somehow we dont get that much aperture . there should be some increase in zoom lens with reduction in aperture.

Actually the 50mm is closest to what your eye actually sees, with an aperture of roughly f/2.8 (need to check this). This is for a full frame sensor, a sensor like mine is an APSC that means it has a crop factor of round 1.5. So for me 50mm at full frame equivalent is 50/1.5 or 32 odd mm. Means that if i want a click similar to what a full frame 50mm will shoot i need to shoot at 32mm

There are telephotos that have a very fast (large opening) aperture but they are usually more expensive. Also since aperture is shown as f/some no where f is focal length so a 200mm at f/5.6 is way larger than a 50 mm at even /2.8. So, many people just look at the fstop value and feel the aperture is smaller in telephoto lenses

lm2k

Journeyman
Actually the 50mm is closest to what your eye actually sees, with an aperture of roughly f/2.8 (need to check this). This is for a full frame sensor, a sensor like mine is an APSC that means it has a crop factor of round 1.5. So for me 50mm at full frame equivalent is 50/1.5 or 32 odd mm. Means that if i want a click similar to what a full frame 50mm will shoot i need to shoot at 32mm

There are telephotos that have a very fast (large opening) aperture but they are usually more expensive. Also since aperture is shown as f/some no where f is focal length so a 200mm at f/5.6 is way larger than a 50 mm at even /2.8. So, many people just look at the fstop value and feel the aperture is smaller in telephoto lenses

Regarding the crop factor , i knew it; but the second point about aperture was something i never thought about. If this is also true with point and shoots then at 336mm[35mm eq](in case of sx150is) the lens must ofer aperture wide enough to try something like this
*www.diyphotography.net/files/images/bokeh_heart.jpg
*www.diyphotography.net/files/images/353392636_30c215ff3d.jpg
May be a test.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
f stop depends on the focal length, and its for a good reason that they are great indicators of the light grabbing ability of a lens - the size opening of the diaphragm is useful for comparison only with respect to the angle of view of the lens (ie, the focal length)

"a 200mm at f/5.6 is way larger than a 50 mm at even /2.8" - while this is physically true, AFAIK, the smaller f numbered lens will be letting in more light (thus faster) IRRESPECTIVE of focal length (because its already taken care of inside the ratio)

Think of it as the circular cross section of a cone. While the area of the circle can vary depending on where you bisect it, the equations that describe the bounds of the cone dont - ie, the cone remains the same for a given f number - and therefore the light capturing ability too.

In short lower the f number, faster the lens, irrespective of focal length.
The 50mm f/2.8 is easily a few times faster than the 200mm f/5.6.
Thats what I know, if I am wrong I'll be glad to be corrected :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
guys what I have studied about portrait photography is almost for full frame...

The thumb rule for just portrait thats head shots is 85mm @f5.6 this will create enough DOF to keep focus on everything on the model and 85mm will be enough for background blurring.

if u convert this to DX it may look like 50mm@f4 ....

in zoom lens with fixed aperture I dont think aperture changes much ...its the advantage...but its tru that zoom lens have more distortion in images...u need to check that.

lm2k

Journeyman
@pranav0091 : yes, with decrease in f number like going from f2.8 to f5.6 with increase in focal length, the light intensity(amount of light) does decrease since it is a collective effect of lens and the aperture available.I was just talking about the opening of the the diaphragm alone.

Top Bottom