The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro, Airport Express, Time Machine UPDATED..
And maybe a little something on MacBook Pro? I thought that while showing it to my friend who is thinking of buying it.

amitava82

MMO Addict
I picked up the new Mac Mini base model.. who is gonna pay $200 for extra ram and hdd? will add later if required. I don't think I will since it's not my primary system. And wireless keyboard (mini) and mouse.. I like the keyboard and mouse.. very slick and small.

Now I need a USB TV tuner.. Do you guys know any that works with Mac and available in India? EyeTV available here for $150.. Pretty expensive for a tuner. Also I'm looking for a 22 inch LCD. I'm eying for a Samsung. Any suggestions? LCD with built in TV tuner and speakers would be great.. :)

IronManForever

^ Uh. I'd suggest you go Full HD for the monitor..
But, as you said you would love to go for LCD with built-in TV Tuner and Speakers, why not go for a cheap 20+ LCD TV?

IronManForever

^ LCD TVs good as LCD monitors? Depends on your budget and depends on what you are gonna do.
For a drawing room setup, 'Mac Mini + LCD TV + 5.1 + Fast Internet' would be great IMO. I have no interest in TV Tuners as such..

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
lol fast internet and India! If I had to use this one here then I would not ask so many questions. I'd go to a store and pick up a HDTV. I can spend some Rs. 12K for a LCD.

goobimama

 Macboy
^ Thanks man! I'll try it as soon as I get back home.

I'm so stupid.. I did that 'show package stuff' for looking into Application contents.. couldn't guess that for iPhoto.
I must say Apple should have a more intuitive menu option for that, if it isn't already there, that is.
The thing about iPhoto libraries, is that it was just a folder earlier. But somehow idiots used to bugger it up by burrowing through it and messing it up. Apple decided to just make that into an iPhoto package, so that if you double click it, you open it up in iPhoto. You're supposed to manage everything in iPhoto, and not Finder. I'd suggest you do the same (old Windows habits is it?).

Now, if you want access to pictures in Finder, the Open/Save dialog box shows you all your media. I agree with you though, I think that media browser should be embedded in Finder as well. If you want the iLife media browser available everywhere, try the Karelia iMedia Browser *www.karelia.com/imedia/.

I picked up the new Mac Mini base model.. who is gonna pay $200 for extra ram and hdd? will add later if required. I don't think I will since it's not my primary system. And wireless keyboard (mini) and mouse.. I like the keyboard and mouse.. very slick and small.

Now I need a USB TV tuner.. Do you guys know any that works with Mac and available in India? EyeTV available here for $150.. Pretty expensive for a tuner. Also I'm looking for a 22 inch LCD. I'm eying for a Samsung. Any suggestions? LCD with built in TV tuner and speakers would be great.. :)
Dude. Get your RAM from your local store. Much cheaper. Sure the Mac mini is not the easiest to open up, but it's possible.

I'd suggest a Dell LCD.

Last edited:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Also I'm looking for a 22 inch LCD. I'm eying for a Samsung. Any suggestions? LCD with built in TV tuner and speakers would be great.. :)

For that I would recommend the Samsung 2233sw. It looks great, is Full HD and has very good picture quality. And costs around 10k here.

IronManForever

^ Yep. Thats a good one.

goobimama said:
The thing about iPhoto libraries, is that it was just a folder earlier. But somehow idiots used to bugger it up by burrowing through it and messing it up. Apple decided to just make that into an iPhoto package, so that if you double click it, you open it up in iPhoto. You're supposed to manage everything in iPhoto, and not Finder. I'd suggest you do the same (old Windows habits is it?).

Now, if you want access to pictures in Finder, the Open/Save dialog box shows you all your media. I agree with you though, I think that media browser should be embedded in Finder as well. If you want the iLife media browser available everywhere, try the Karelia iMedia Browser *www.karelia.com/imedia/.

It's not just a Windows Habit. I would prefer it to have an option like iTunes where it leaves files where they were.
Its much easier to upload pics in forums and stuff via Finder.
I have that Karelia iMedia Browser installed BTW.
--

Guys, I need a Download Manager for Mac. One which lets me segment files to any number and make multiple connections to a server.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^ There are 3 great DMs for Mac and they are as follows

1) Leech : Absolute Macy app. You'll love it the moment you start using it. Buts it lacks some advanced features. In my usage I found out that it fails to resume download most of the time esp from RS.

2) Speed Downloader : This one is favorite of most people. Its got all the advanced features any DM can have. In my usage I found out that it requires a little learning curve to get used to it.

3) iGetter : My favorite and the one that I use daily. It doesn't have only one feature that I need and that is the ability to add multiple links in one go. But, thanks to QuickSilver, I managed to find a great solution.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^There is a scheduler available with options like 'Hang up modem when done' and 'Redial modem when disconnected'.

AudialHub is no longer supported and unfortunately I didn't follow the steps to backup my AudialHub. Now after installing AudialHud I get this :

*img91.imageshack.us/img91/1152/picture1f.jpg

I cannot get past that screen and use AudialHub untill I download those extras either online or manually. Online is not happening as the site doesn't support it anymore so I want to get it done manually. Manual method requires the file ah100extras.dmg, that isn't available either. I know many of you use AudialHub, so if any of you have it please let me know

Last edited:

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
I don't use a UPS for even my TV! But it's always best to, because you'll never know when a surge will kill your precious Mac.
Here's also a good TV Tuner

IronManForever

^ Are we supposed to say 'Oh! What? You dont?' .. :lol:
I mean I dont think you have to use UPS for a TV. I myself have seen no-one do so.

Last edited:

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
If you have been investing a lot of money for a really expensive Plasma TV, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to protect my TV.

Top Bottom