The LG Optimus One Thread

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
keep an extra battery in your wallet. [OFFTOPIC: I carry an extra BL-5C battery for my Nokia 5130, as i'm a heavy texter and hooked on to internet 20x7 :lol: the batteries drains out in approximately 9hrs :p]
Well of course that's a solution but anything apart from this? Does moving to a better optimized kernel boosts battery life and performance? Sam?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
theres nothing much that can be done. even fserve kernel will add an hour of extra battery life i guess.i tried fserve kernel but instead of good backup, backup reduced. i get 24hrs+ battery life most of the time, unless i am online the whole time.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
If u are not an avid gamer, try uninstalling gaming apps from ur mobile as it improves lot of battery life.

How does it matter? As long as you don't play games, battery won't drain. I have 50+ apps and games in my phone and still get 20+ hours (I am a very heavy user of games, apps and music).

The biggest known culprit of battery drain is Google Maps. I stay away from it...

tmanikandan

The Incredible
How does it matter? As long as you don't play games, battery won't drain. I have 50+ apps and games in my phone and still get 20+ hours (I am a very heavy user of games, apps and music).

The biggest known culprit of battery drain is Google Maps. I stay away from it...

There are games which requires Android Process to run even when u are not playing. This drains a good amount of battery. Though I too like playing games in O1, but I recently observed this. When I uninstall all the games, it improved a good amount of battery life. Also if u are using custom rom, battery life is comparatively good compared to stock rom. Apps doesn't drain battery that much. If u use stock Rom, LG's apps like Gmaps, Bollywoodji and all those craps run in background in regular intervals and consumes battery a lot ( Even fast reboot temporarily releases the memory ). This can be avoided when u go to Custom Rom but still games run in Android process in background making to drain battery less than a day. Also if u use Wifi continuously, battery drains very quickly irrespective of stock / custom rom

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
default music app needs a lot of battery life. will try winamp tomorrow mng. & i have uninstalled maps. starts by itself most of the time.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
MIUI music is a bit heavy. all miui apps are same. heavy on system & drains battery really fast. thats why i dumped MIUI after using it for 2-3 days.

anyone know if i can use Goldleaf kernel with CM7? is it compatible? too lazy to go dig through that thread to find my answer.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
Why do u want to try Goldleaf as it is just a modification of Franco Kernel and more or less the same. Also, as far as I know, Goldleaf support CM 6.5x and not 6.6x but from the xda forum I came to know that it supports only the stable version CM 6.5.7 ( In 6.5x)

guru_urug

iGoogle
for battery life,
-keep your brightness low when indoors.
-shift to custom rom+kernel(if on stock rom)
-switch off background data
-switch off sync when not needed
-keep ur overclock within acceptable limits. Using smartass instead of performance governor. It gives better benchmarks and throttles down the freq when load is less or on standby
-avoid google maps. It runs in the background unknowingly at times. Ive uninstalled it for good
-if still not getting acceptable battery backup, make sure u calibrate ur battery. First wipe battery stats from the recovery and reinstall kernel and again wipe the battery stats. Then charge the battery completely and use. Else use battery calibration app from the market

ppl looking to get a new phone in the mid range shud wait a little. Im hoping the xiaomi MIUI phone will release here. It will drive prices down of other phones too.

Optimus one was and still is a very good phone....
Andy's Rom will be the ultimate ROM and a worthy ROM to this phone. If andy's word is to be believed(which I do) this rom has been tweaked as much as possible. So I dont think there will be any other GB ROM to compete. I doubt tht development will be as fierce as it was before. O1 XDA forum has gone thanda after dr.notors issue. Hopefully ICS will revive some enthusiasm.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Galaxy SIi has a super-smooth browsing experience, unparalled by even the best phones from Android, Apple and WP7...

Samsung is using GPU hardware acceleration to make browsing experience better. What they do is, once the webpage loads, the phone immediately caches it. Then, GPU is used to display it instead of the CPU. Also, pinch to zoom in the browser is not a real-time redraw of all the pixels. The MALI-400 GPU is used for that, and it is awesome...!

See: AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

The Mali-400 isn't a unified shader architecture, it has discrete execution hardware for vertex and fragment (pixel) processing. ARM calls the Mali-400 a multicore GPU with configurations available with 1 - 4 cores. When ARM refers to a core however it's talking about a fragment (pixel shader) processor, not an entire GPU core.

Like the original Galaxy S, on SGS2 samsung has made enhancements to the browser that dramatically increase smoothness. At the time we could only explain the performance increase by shrugging and claiming it was GPU accelerated. We know a bit more now about what enhancements are required to make browsing smooth in this fashion, and the answer lies in a backing store. A backing store is essentially a nice way of saying cache, and in this case what’s being cached is the rendered page itself, which is either rendered into a texture or some intermediary that’s a step above final rendering.

A backing store is what makes iOS’ browser so smooth, and you can see it render into the texture (or if you overscroll beyond the render, where it hasn’t yet) with those little grey rectangles. Render into a big texture, and then it’s a relatively free GPU operation to transform and clip that texture when a user scrolls around the page, though zooming will require a re-draw. Until Android 3.x, however, the stock Android browser hasn’t had a backing store, which is why translating around feels choppy. As a result, it has been the burden of OEMs to make their browsers feel snappy by incorporating their own backing stores. HTC works with Qualcomm to bring an appropriate level of smoothness to their devices, I already mentioned Android 3.x has one (which will no doubt carry over to Ice Cream Sandwich), and Samsung again has one this go-around in SGS2 just like they did with the original SGS.

So how good is SGS2’s browser backing store? Very good. Far and away this is the smoothest Android 2.x browsing experience, by a large margin. The only downside to the whole thing is that the browser has 16 bit color, again undoubtedly to make this an easy texture for manipulation by the GPU. I’ve also noticed one or two times that the browser will go to a white screen instead of showing the content after it’s loaded, which to me indicates that getting the backing store always working perfectly with a big page can be a challenge - perhaps GPU memory is at a real premium when this happens. I’m told this is fixed in newer firmware editions. That said, the tradeoff is well worth it, as zooming, translating, just about everything is buttery smooth. Browser smoothness is finally basically at parity with iOS.

What’s very impressive is that Samsung even manages to keep Flash 10.3 plugins animated while panning and scrolling around, something that currently HTC temporarily halts while translating around in their browser. It’s hard to communicate just how smooth and fluid the SGS2 browser is, and I’d encourage interested parties to watch our video which demonstrates it.

Video: Samsung Galaxy S 2 - Browser Performance and GLBenchmark - YouTube

zoneofSAM

Broken In
After sticking to 4 months on lg stock rom (Now 2.3.3, worst Gb update ever for a good phone), I have decided to Root my Op1, but Guys help me out by referring those roms, kernels etc etc for my use

Please tell me the good roms, kernels, recoveries and whatever
other things i am missing right now for optimus 1 (will be
flashing the rom for 1st time)

< PS > : My basic necessity is A Solid battery Back up ( I mostly
spend my time surfing through WiFi and I cant help it )

ΣΣ Most stable only
and also satisfies gamING NEED but i dont wanaa OC it that
much so that the hardware gets blown or misfunctioned

ΣΣ and please if there us something there to stop the unnecessary
apps running in the BACKground especially Gmaps, EVERYONE HATES ITTT

ΣΣ just provide the list for the stable gingerbread ROMS AND other
compatible with it

WHAT I'VE TO BACK UP so that if any thing goes wrong ,I can restore it and fool those LG guys to repair my phone

i have now new custom 2.3.3 ROM from Lg (its raping my battery
backup) so I dont think I'll be needing to flash the new baseband
to get gprs working

Sorry for being so thorough but you would understand it 'cause I
AmmA N00B And dont wanna turm my phone to a plastic BRICK

ITS NOT BAD TO BE CAUTIOUS

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
My father needed a phone and he insisted on staying to a minimal budget as possible and wanted quite a bit of features . So we ended up getting the LG Optimus One . Bought it from QRS Kottayam and costs around 9400 with a discount coupon which we got for Rs 1100 for buying a new vehicle. (Chevrolet Tavera) Will post pictures and a small review although I'd out anyone would need one of those here .

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
I had have flashed my phone with CM7 6.5.7 but I haven't flashed a kernel or anything really. My present Kernel version is 2.6.32.42-franco.Kernel.v18 milk@mik-desktop #7. I 'm planning to move to a better, optimized and an improved battery life kernel. Few queries:

1) Sam, IINM you are using 19.4BFS by Franco. Would you recommend moving to it? How's it performance and battery life?
2) There are two version of franco.Kernel; CFS and BFS. What are these exactly and how they differ and which one is better?
3) Are my steps for flashing franco. kernel correct?: a) Download the franco.Kernel and move the zip to SD card. b) Power Off the phone and boot into recovery by holding Volume down + Home + Power button simultaneously. c) Select Wipe cache partition and then Advanced > Wipe battery stats. I don't need to "Wipe Date/Factory Reset", right? d) Select install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard. Flash and then reboot.
4) After flashing with new kernel, I'm thinking of calibrating my battery but there are plethora of ways of doing the same over the internet which is leaving me all confused. How to calibrate battery properly?

Also there are some apps that came per-installed with CM7 such as Books, Car Home, etc. I don't need them. How can I remove them?

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
lol @ milk :p

1. Yeah, I'd recommend you to move to v19.4

2. BFS = Brain Fu*k scheduler
CFS = Completely Fair Scheduler

In one line, CFS is more multitasking and BFS is for perfomance.

3. Yes, you are right. You don't need to wipe data as you are already on GB. But if you face problem or stuck on CM7 logo after flashing, flash again with wipe data.

You can go through the process you stated or can use ROM Manager to do everything in favour of you :p

Nothing comes pre-installed. Those are included in GAPPS that you flashed.

You can remove them easily as you are on GB. I'd recommend to you Titanium Backup.