The Encryption Debate Between WhatsApp And The Indian Government

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Home Ministry is tracking every site as we speak from a long time.
National Security is needed and citizens privacy can be overlooked.
This is what I think.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk
No amount of online tracking will improve India's security agencies effectiveness(take CBI for example) without fundamental improvements.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The Home Ministry is tracking every site as we speak from a long time.
National Security is needed and citizens privacy can be overlooked.
This is what I think.

This is a very dangerous attitude. Mass surveillance is a double edged sword, it can be used to capture criminals but in the wrong hands (authoritarian govts, autocrats), it can also be used to spy on and harass innocent citizens (like how China is doing). Therefore, how this surveillance is used must be tightly monitored, public must be made aware of it and mechanisms must be put into place to ensure accountability in case of wrongful use. Giving the govt. free reign in this case is a disaster for everyone, not just the criminals and terrorists who they claim to protect us from.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Facebook Adds Catalogs to WhatsApp - Another Feature to Milk the App's 1.5 Billion Users
Read the article. Didn't get exactly how it will work though.
So will we the consumers will get promotional messages through Whatsapp (from business users using WhatsApp business) and we can directly purchase things from within whatsapp?
If yes, then the business whatsapp users would need to have our whatsapp numbers and we could block them if we want to? Does this come under DND protection? So many questions.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Read the article. Didn't get exactly how it will work though.
So will we the consumers will get promotional messages through Whatsapp (from business users using WhatsApp business) and we can directly purchase things from within whatsapp?
If yes, then the business whatsapp users would need to have our whatsapp numbers and we could block them if we want to? Does this come under DND protection? So many questions.
It's just like this
For the sake of National security some liberties can be forgotten like citizens privacy because we cannot guarantee safety on the demographic basis.
So some liberties can be forgotten.
This is my opinion.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
The problem is, as much as the govt is corrupted right now in many third world countries, not a single person aware of right to privacy would compromise their right with their govt. As soon as this gets implemented, people's data will be handed out to third party for analysis so that powerful people know how to manipulate the population and keep their power for long time. Obviously this might also be used to find out how many people wants to change the current govt and keep close eye on them to monitor all the activities and eventually nab them for crimes they didn't even commit. These things are already happening in China and other parts of the world. I posted a link here from Reddit about this same topic, I am unable to find right now.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's just like this
For the sake of National security some liberties can be forgotten like citizens privacy because we cannot guarantee safety on the demographic basis.
This is my opinion.

You sound like a dictatorship cheerleader.:lol: You would score very high in Chinese communist party opinion because they also think just like you & believe that every chinese citizen should be under some form of monitoring.National security is indeed important but citizens privacy can not be completely sacrificed for it because that would mean the govt is no longer democratic in nature. Let the govt monitor communication of suspected anti-nationals but only after getting court approval & with enough evidence(& not like the one which would be rejected by high courts/supreme court as not enough) & I have no issue but I don't support govt monitoring people because they said something bad/funny about major political leaders/ministers & some police officer "thinks this is anti-national".

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's just like this
This is my opinion.

Security Security Security - Govt. monitoring may get you rid of any possible terrorist attack but what if some where down the line it becomes one - now think of the greatest North Korean Leader :D

Top Bottom