The Encryption Debate Between WhatsApp And The Indian Government

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The Encryption Debate Between WhatsApp And The Indian Government

*i.imgur.com/AcCg4VF.png

The Government of India has been making headlines recently due to its ongoing debate regarding the need for social media platforms like WhatsApp to allow for the decryption of private messages on its network, citing national security requirements. Facebook gained ownership of WhatsApp in early 2014 further expanding its social media empire. WhatsApp, which has over 400 million users in India allows for the exchange of text messages, photos, videos, audio files and documents in multiple formats among various other features.

Using end to end encryption, data exchanged on WhatsApp is beyond the reach of third parties and WhatsApp themselves. This ensures maximum privacy on the users’ end allowing for the intended recipient of the messages to be the only party with the ability to decrypt the said message. Attorney General K.K. Venugopal told the Supreme Court that it was the responsibility of social media companies to share data wherever there was a potential threat to national security. In the interest of national security, he stated “A terrorist cannot claim privacy. For Facebook and WhatsApp to say they cannot decrypt is not acceptable.”

*i.imgur.com/DyMxgZa.png

The government stated in an affidavit that it planned to formulate new rules regarding its hold on social media “keeping in view the ever-growing threats to individual rights and nation’s integrity, sovereignty, and security.” “They can’t come into the country and say we will establish a non-decryptable system,” Attorney General Venugopal said.

This decision has sparked much debate regarding its expectations from the social media platforms in question and with respect to the general right to privacy. Facebook’s lawyer Mukul Rohtagi told the court that the company was not obliged to share users’ data with the Indian government. The case was brought to the Supreme Court when Facebook allegedly asked the top court to hear all cases concerning privacy and curbs on social media usage. WhatsApp has been actively working on preventing misuse after it was accused of disseminating untrustworthy information. Having said that, it does not plan on scrapping end to end encryption.

*i.imgur.com/kJbVKiv.png

Rohtagi stated that local laws do not demand companies to share data with government agencies nor do they mention the need for a decryption system provided by the said companies. A representative of the government affirmed that there was no intention to invade into the personal lives of citizens and that India merely wanted to guard its people against potential threats.

Judge Deepak Gupta however, disagreed with the proposed necessity for decryption questioning the need for social media platforms to have a decryption system when it is well within their rights not to have one. He also mentioned how the law allows the government to seek help to decrypt. “Nobody prevents you from having your own system of decryption,” Gupta said.

Further Reading:

• Facebook faces another major data breach, millions of passwords exposed to employees
  • Facebook Messenger Adds HD Videos & 360° Photos Support
Source:The Encryption Debate Between WhatsApp And The Indian Government

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does it mean that the law allows the government to have its own system of decryption?
It means govt is free to use its own resources to break whatsapp encryption,just like FBI did in US to crack iphone of a terrorist by paying money to a 3rd party.
*www.engadget.com/2017/05/08/fbi-paid-900000-to-unlock-san-bernardino-iphone/

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
What does it mean that the law allows the government to have its own system of decryption?
Yes already the present regime said in March I think that they are snooping on 1.35 billion Indians as regards to National Security.
And I support them. Jai Hind.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
It means govt is free to use its own resources to break whatsapp encryption,just like FBI did in US to crack iphone of a terrorist by paying money to a 3rd party.
*www.engadget.com/2017/05/08/fbi-paid-900000-to-unlock-san-bernardino-iphone/
Yes, absolutely in matters of National Security
Govt should have the final say.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
National security is probably the most misused excuse in modern world.
No it's not an excuse
It's the faith & belief in the leaders who lead us into the future.
In the leaders who will provide our children a better life.

No it's not an excuse
It's the faith & belief in the leaders who lead us into the future.
In the leaders who will provide our children a better life.

With the mindset of Indians, its better to not be a surveillance state. At the end, its the people who will be implementing it & we all know, corruption is embedded in a lot of Indians, so better to not give them such power.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Yes already the present regime said in March I think that they are snooping on 1.35 billion Indians as regards to National Security.
And I support them. Jai Hind.

Supporting them for National security is great but bjp took support of gopal kanda in haryana to form a government and the party that gave them support, its head's father got bail from tihar jail. Now implement this to nation wide elections. What will be the impact if bjp has access to messages/mails of say any opposition leader?
Wah Modiji Wah.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting them for National security is great but bjp took support of gopal kanda in haryana to form a government and the party that gave them support, its head's father got bail from tihar jail. Now implement this to nation wide elections. What will be the impact if bjp has access to messages/mails of say any opposition leader?
Wah Modiji Wah.
A bit late BJP will not take Gopal Kanda's support in Haryana: Ravi Shankar Prasad | India News - Times of India
Btw all parties top leaders are involved in one or other case & many of them have been to jail.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Nah, Indian politicians aren't trustworthy.
I don't think of like this of the present regime.
They are doing amends to what Kongress did long back.

Northeast got its direct railway & road link.
Still it's us the southerners who didn't get much.
But I hope Modiji will do something for AP.

Do you realize that Southern India developed a lot in the same time that states like Bihar, JH, WB & NE didn't? South had better electricity reach & road facility to villages, even railways before Modi. After comparing Kerala & WB, I'd say Kerala is doing much better in basic amenities, same can be said about TN, KA, TN & TS IMO from what I know. Except Kolkata, WB has no other major city, whereas, except Trivandrum & Kochi, Kerala has other big cities that are bigger & better than those of WB, like Durgapur, even if not famous.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Do you realize that Southern India developed a lot in the same time that states like Bihar, JH, WB & NE didn't? South had better electricity reach & road facility to villages, even railways before Modi. After comparing Kerala & WB, I'd say Kerala is doing much better in basic amenities, same can be said about TN, KA, TN & TS IMO from what I know. Except Kolkata, WB has no other major city, whereas, except Trivandrum & Kochi, Kerala has other big cities that are bigger & better than those of WB, like Durgapur, even if not famous.
South is better but separation of AP from Telangana did a great discomfort because almost every PSU is located in & around Hyderabad only.
We were promised Railway Zone and Cargo terminal but it is yet to see light of the day.
NE got its direct rail link & road link in 2014 & 2016 repectively. And its because of Modiji.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Maybe government is not trusted but do you think facebook is trusted? I dont think so.The message data is stored by 3rd party(facebook) in decypher form form but it can be decrepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Maybe government is not trusted but do you think facebook is trusted? I dont think so.The message data is stored by 3rd party(facebook) in decypher form form but it can be decrepted.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everything can be seen by even local state walas let alone IB & Home.
The home has the source code of every social networking, mail etc
It has been monitoring since 10 years but BJP revealed it last March before the elections.
NSA Prism program taps in to user data of Apple, Google and others

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything can be seen by even local state walas let alone IB & Home.
The home has the source code of every social networking, mail etc
It has been monitoring since 10 years but BJP revealed it last March before the elections.
NSA Prism program taps in to user data of Apple, Google and others
Comparing India's state surveillance to USA's Prism is like comparing maruti 800 to ferrari,India has one of the weakest cyber warfare capabilities among major nations.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Modiji and BJP = idiots.

Top Bottom