The $10/Rs. 500 Sakshaat laptop is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitava82

MMO Addict
This whole fiasco was compounded by a few factors: deliberate misinformation by people close to the project, the complete and utter incompetence of the Indian press (we still don't even have a solid idea what this thing is) and the eagerness of Western news outlets to believe that such a product, which would have been dismissed as totally impossible if announced here, was inexplicably plausible because it was coming from the mysterious foreign land of India. Whatever the case, there is no $10 laptop, and there probably never will be—at least not from these guys.
So true.

Completely agree.

As I said before, India can never be another China when it comes to manufacturing things cheaply. Atleast they created a 150$ laptop on ARM architecture and a 200$ laptop on MIPS architecture.

At its best, the Indian Govt. can make a 10$ mobile phone.

Pathik

Google Bot
Lol! What a joke! The pic posted in the original article shows a HCL MiLeap and not "Sakshat"!

*images.google.co.in/images?um=1&hl...n-US:official&q=HCL+mileap&btnG=Search+Images

See for yourself guys..Infact, the netbook in the second babe's hands clearly shows the name "HCL" :lol:

Here's some news on the real (and dumb if I may add) thing:
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Hyderabad/10-laptop_proves_to_be_a_damp_squib/articleshow/4072417.cms

Correct. I am amazed no one caught it. The original Sakshat lappy wasn't even released. Just another announcement was made. Every tech blog is now criticising it. And it's $30 now.

sam_52136

Sammy..
Wow this is just truly awesome, if this is a success then one day soon India will never be called as illiterate.

India Rockzzz!!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I am interested in this device ;) .. will buy immediately irrespective of the OS, RAM etc etc.. :D for me even a 500 MHz processor will do

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Originally Posted by T159
I want the middle one...;D

Originally Posted by gxsaurav
I will take the model in black color ...

Me to want the middle one:p....but competition badjaarahe hai.....
so, I'll take left one....:D

LOLZ.....:p :p :p

I doubt if they know what they are holding in their hands.

These are laptops ? I think this things are minitops :p

Lol! What a joke! The pic posted in the original article shows a HCL MiLeap and not "Sakshat"!

*images.google.co.in/images?um=1&hl...n-US:official&q=HCL+mileap&btnG=Search+Images

See for yourself guys..Infact, the netbook in the second babe's hands clearly shows the name "HCL" :lol:

Here's some news on the real (and dumb if I may add) thing:
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Hyderabad/10-laptop_proves_to_be_a_damp_squib/articleshow/4072417.cms

Nice work mate....Pointing out the truth

Last edited:

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
WTF is going on here???

Who the hell posted an HCL MiLeap pic and claiming it to be the $10 laptop? Are you not updated with the truth?

The $10 laptop was just a pathetic attempt at publicity by some morons at Vellore Institue of Technology. The truth is out, read Today's paper if you want to know that it is not a laptop but just a god damn external storage device with pre-installed software that works when you plug it into a laptop!

Here is the link to online edition of today's Times of India : Click Here

Sad to know the extent of which these incompetent wannabe engineers studying outdated electronics and computer science textbooks which is still the only thing available in our education system will go to gain publicity. These guys seriously need to take a break and get real and buy and read atleast Digit(Not saying it's of any use) once to know that there are far more realistic and happening things in the world.

PS: I'm not shouting, I'm just awed by the incompetence of these guys thinking everyone else in the world is a fool and they are the smart ones!!

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, Guys Look at here what I've found :

$10 Laptop is Huge Disappointment
2:50 PM - February 4, 2009 by Jane McEntegart

News did the rounds earlier in the week about India’s supposed $10 dollar laptop. The laptop reportedly costs $20 to manufacture, but according to India’s Secretary for Higher Education, large-scale production runs would see the price in half by the time it hits consumers.

The news no doubt had Nicholas Negroponte and the lads over at the OLPC foundation quaking in their boots. The XO Laptop was already getting its ass kicked by the barrage of netbooks that hit the market shortly after its launch and Intel’s rival educational notebook, the Classmate PC was winning over governments and filling more classrooms than the OLPC’s laptop.

Fortunately for the OLPC and unfortunately for everyone else, it seems like there’s less to the $10/$20 laptop than we originally thought--considerably less. With "megabytes" of onboard memory and wi-fi capabilities we (rather optimistically, we’ll admit) pictured something that resembled the netbooks we’re seeing now but a little more primitive. What we saw, was not a laptop, nor was it $10, or even $20. And why it was being touted as a laptop still remains a mystery

Times of India reports that the Sakshat is a 10-inch by 5-inch plastic box which, despite an official unveiling at India's Sri Venkateswara University yesterday, still contains only mystery parts. It appeared more like a storage device than anything else. As for the $10 price, the expected price is closer to thirty bucks. Bummer. It feels like being promised a car and getting a single rollerskate.

Source : *www.tomshardware.com/news/India-10-laptop-launch,6961.html

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I won't downplay the Govt. I think its a good move, at least a start! :) Whether $10 is feasible or not is a different thing what matters to me is that Indian Govt. look the matter about education seriously for once :)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
HERE's the REAL NEWS:

Rs.500 laptop turns out a laughing stock
Tirupati: Crushing all expectations, the presumed head-on-head competitor to MIT's $100 laptop, the Rs.500 ($10) laptop was unveiled to be a laughing stock. The 'prototype' of the device with two GB RAM inaugurated at Tirupati was declared to be a mere computing device and not a laptop.

"How can just a computing device bridge the digital divide and make access to computer literacy affordable to the masses? Where will poor students get computers to jack this gizmo with? Will Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) provide computers and internet connectivity in rural and remote areas? There is no clarity among the officials themselves," a Professor from Sri Venkateswara University told The Times of India. Designed by students of Vellore Institute of Technology, scientists in Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, IIT-Madras, UGC and MHRD, the computing device was nowhere near to MIT's $100 laptop. It was a device that comprised of a hard disk with e-books, e-journals and relevant educative material through the 'Sakshat' portal.

The so called laptop even appeared to be smaller than the normal laptop with 10-inch length and five-inch width, making many heads to rethink on the definition of a laptop. There was also a buzz that it's a 'Nano-top'. Earlier, officials said the price was working out to be $20 but with mass production it was bound to come down to $10 (Rs 500) and thus become affordable for every student in India.

*www.siliconindia.com/shownews/52047

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom