The $10/Rs. 500 Sakshaat laptop is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
*static.ibnlive.com/pix/sitepix/02_2009/cheap-laptop-313.jpg

India's government unveiled the jointly-developed "$20 laptop" today. Dubbed Sakshat, which roughly translates as "before your eyes", the laptop is slated to ship in six months, with specs as follows: 2GB of storage, WiFi, Ethernet and 2 watts of power consumption. There's still no information about the screen size, RAM or processor.

Some folks are also still skeptical as to whether a laptop can really be produced at such a low cost, since most LCDs alone would put it over budget.

The laptop itself won't be subsidized, but the government will shoulder 25 percent of the cost of broadband for colleges, and there will be free e-learning textbooks available to students online.

SOURCE

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
FCUK! I can't believe it!
Its Govt. of India...and just look at the babes carrying that laptop :shocked:

OP
G

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
^^LMAO at the level of testosterone in this thread.

Anyone know the purpose of those tacky buttons on either side on the display?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I will take the model in black color :D...

Seriously, this thing is too underpowered & small for any real work. If Indian government does wants to make something useful for everyday work then better sign a deal with Qualmcom for there Snapdragon platform for nVidia for there Tegra SoC. Yes, it might sound insane for me to advocate ARM but here is the thing, Snapdragon & Tegra got some serious potential when it comes to small such devices. For a device such small & light work, they should rather prefer to ARM architecture with a custom built Linux for this particular thing, with a touchscreen Tablet PC like device (this form factor has some really good advantages) to which bluetooth keyboard & mouse can be added or a Simple USB 2.0 port with an addition hub & 10" screen size...

U know what...this just gave me an Idea of how it should be. Let me try making a device like that in 3ds Max.

jatt

In the zone
अब सरकार laptops से लोगों का खून चूसेगी यार,यह नया तरीका है

OP
G

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
I'm guessing the laptop uses removable SD cards for data storage with the main OS running on a ROM, going by the 2W of power consumption.

Seriously, this thing is too underpowered & small for any real work.
How do we know what's powering that thing? For all we know, it could be running a Core i7 EE subsidized by Intel. :D

Pat

Beyond Smart
Lol! What a joke! The pic posted in the original article shows a HCL MiLeap and not "Sakshat"!

*images.google.co.in/images?um=1&hl...n-US:official&q=HCL+mileap&btnG=Search+Images

See for yourself guys..Infact, the netbook in the second babe's hands clearly shows the name "HCL" :lol:

Here's some news on the real (and dumb if I may add) thing:
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Hyderabad/10-laptop_proves_to_be_a_damp_squib/articleshow/4072417.cms

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Lol! What a joke! The pic posted in the original article shows a HCL MiLeap and not "Sakshat"!

*images.google.co.in/images?um=1&hl...n-US:official&q=HCL+mileap&btnG=Search+Images

See for yourself guys..Infact, the netbook in the second babe's hands clearly shows the name "HCL" :lol:

Here's some news on the real (and dumb if I may add) thing:
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Hyderabad/10-laptop_proves_to_be_a_damp_squib/articleshow/4072417.cms

Thanks for the correct link.
This is a dampner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom