Symantec introduces 2009 range of products including NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

apoorva84

In the zone
*www.symantec.com/content/en/us/home_homeoffice/images/multimedia/screenshots/large/nav-lg.jpg

Symantec announced the availability of Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton AntiVirus 2009 on Tuesday, apparently delivering on its promise to minimize the performance impact the suite will have on the host PC.

NIS 2009 is priced at $69.99 for a one-year subscription covering three PCs. NAV 2009, meanwhile, will be offered for a retail price of $39.99.

In May, NIS chief Rowan Trollope said that performance would be the priority for NIS 2009, after consumers uniformly complained about how security software slowed down their PCs.

"Therefore, it's obvious that we must be the absolute best in performance," Trollope said then. "If I could create what's unquestionably the fastest security product in the world, without compromising security features, it would be very clear to the consumer why they'd buy Norton. Performance is the focus for 2009."

NIS 2009 installs in just 52 seconds, according to Symantec's own tests, requiring just 7 Mbytes of host memory. Quick scans can take as little as 33 seconds, Symantec said, although the conditions were not disclosed.

NIS includes antivirus, antispyware, antispam, a two-way firewall, identity protection, rootkit protection, antiphishing and network monitoring.

According to Norton, the company has come up with a smarter solution to scanning files, eliminating some "common files" through "community intelligence". The idea is to avoid slowing down older computers, which Norton's customers see as an entertainment device. A silent mode suspends activities during games or other CPU-intensive activities.

Microupdates are shot to the user every five to fifteen minutes, a different approach than McAfee plans to take with its cloud-based checks of suspect files.

From an efficiency perspective, NIS 2009 performed slightly better than the 2008 NIS suite, according to AV-test.org. NIS 2008 found 97.8 percent of malware on demand and 94.6 percent of adware/spyware; NIS 2009 found 98.7 percent of malware, and 95.4 percent of adware/spyware. The other authoritative testing agency, AV-comparatives.org, reports its own results on Sept. 15.

And if you have a problem, tech support -- phone, email, or online, is now free for one year.

Source:*www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2329969,00.asp

More screenshots here:*www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=231747&p=1&s=1489&a=231719&po=1&i=1,00.asp?p=y

ZDNET's review here:*review.zdnet.com/internet-security...rnet-security-2009/4505-3667_16-33246586.html

Is this the RESURRECTION of NORTON? Only time will tell..

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Interface looks nice.
But they haven't mentioned anything about memory consumption. I guess this will consume as much memory as their older products.

OP
A

apoorva84

In the zone
^^^i have highlighted in the bold dude..it consumes just about 7mb of RAM.

but look at this:*www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_05.php

AVIRA is on top..And i am sticking to it...I had a bad experience about a month back when i got this newfolder virus and autorun.inf....Norton 2008 and Eset Nod32 didnt detect these..AntiVir did..And i am pretty happy with AntiVir.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
I remember reading a few user reviews in Neowin when the beta was released. Almost everyone reported that its significantly lighter and on many cases used less than 15mb memory. So they have definitely improved on that count.
But, I am not sure if it can match up to kaspersky or avira in terms of detection rate.
And yeah the interface looks pretty.

Edit : Just saw the virustest.org results. Norton does a very good job with virus' but sucks with adwares/spywares.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
AVIRA is on top..And i am sticking to it...I had a bad experience about a month back when i got this newfolder virus and autorun.inf....Norton 2008 and Eset Nod32 didnt detect these..AntiVir did..And i am pretty happy with AntiVir.
NOD32 seriously got screwed up when 3.0 version was launched. NOD32 2.7 was the best.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
LOL

norton still being used ???

last i used was 5 years back.. and i still remember how it made my powerful P4 crumble....

KAV FTW

NOD32 seriously got screwed up when 3.0 version was launched. NOD32 2.7 was the best.
[off topic]
+1
Indeed, it was the lightest and the best AV that I have used so farWhy is 3.0 so bad???
[/off topic]
Good to see that they bare working on memory and GUI, but it's going to take a lot more than that for it to even think of competing with Avira,KIS, NOD32 and the likes

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
NIS 2009 system requirements

IE 6.0 or higher
300 MHz or higher processor
256MB of RAM
300MB of hard disk space

The 30 day trial can be downloaded from Softpedia- *www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Norton-Internet-Security.shtml

I wanna try it out....

OP
A

apoorva84

In the zone
i just installed norton AV 2009 (trial) after downloading it from symantec's site...the installation , as promised took less than a minute...the memory usage was very low...the amount of disk space used was around 57mb...there are 3 folders related to norton in program files...interface is clean and intuitive unlike the previous versions..

but many users wont like the fact that norton installs on your c drive(windows partition) and you dont get customization options...sure, 99% of the people dont bother about such things, still symantec shouldnt have done this...

Similar to AVG, it installs a add on in FF called Norton IPS (currently ver 1.0),supposedly to help you out with detecting malicious sites,etc...not really necessary...

overall, a much improved product..

but i'm not gonna switch from avira...

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Yep, I have tested several Beta products of Symantec(name can't be disclosed), now their main focus is clean interface with lowest memory footprint.i am using norton 360 which i received from symantec itself on my laptop pc .

seems they are learning from their mistakes. maybe this marks a return of Symantec in security software market.

navrajyadav

Broken In
hey guys i use the latest norton internet security 2009, i found no difference in between 2009 and 2008 regarding performance, it use high memory during scanning, even i have amd x3 with 2gb ram its uses at least 75 % of cpu of every core and slow scanning. the norton products are to heavy for the the system.

i like kaspersky internet security 2009 8.00.454. it is the best antivirus, i use almost very antivirus but only kaspersky is better than every one.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Symantec is progressing, but it has a long way to go before reaching the level of Kaspersky Labs.
@apoorva84- Thanks a lot for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom