stupid superstitions in India

amjath

Human Spambot
^ +1 Superstition is restricted to Religion, its everywhere.

I heard that lizard falling on any part of the body is bad sign :? seriously.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^ +1 Superstition is restricted to Religion, its everywhere.

I heard that lizard falling on any part of the body is bad sign :? seriously.

I got one. I have seen a Golden Lizard in a temple, so now according to that temple, I am immune even if a lizard falls on my head, also people can touch my hand to remove any effects of lizard falling on their head.

I cannot recall which temple I had seen that :p .

Inceptionist

Journeyman
I've never understood this hypocrisy from most non-veg eaters. Either you eat meat, or you don't. "No, I won't eat on XYZ day" is bullsh!t.

I dunno, but I think this 7-day calender is known as the Gregorian calender right? Didn't Britishers introduce this? There was no Mangalvaar before. How did Tuesday/Mangalvaar become suddenly auspicious?

We had 7-day calender before Gregorian calender was introduced to us. Hindu calender which is based on both lunar and solar cycles has 360 days and additional month is there every few years to sync with Earth's orbit of 365 days.

As for meat eating, the reason I've heard is that digesting meat is heavy work for our digestive system and it takes between 24-72 hours to process it. Veg food on the other hand, takes 6-24 hours.

kisame

King of Heroes
^So why only Tuesday??Is the digestive system weak on that day??

Also, haircut thing is also applied on Thursday.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I don't fast anymore.

I believe that if our god(s) really love us, they would not want us to skip meals for them.

However, as a christian, I don't have to follow any hard and fast rules regarding fasting and nobody tells me otherwise.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I don't fast anymore.

I believe that if our god(s) really love us, they would not want us to skip meals for them.

However, as a christian, I don't have to follow any hard and fast rules regarding fasting and nobody tells me otherwise.

I am a Hindu and even I don't have to follow these superstitions.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The concept of God itself was invented by clever people to control the masses. Superstitions must have started due to some reason at that time but may no longer be relevant now hence we are making fun of them. Things change, environment changes, science has improved.

We should all think for ourselves before blinded by religious / superstitious beliefs.

-----------

The no eating with left hand rule is very logical and scientific. There are many diseases which spread through faeco-oral route eg. common jaundice, worms etc. To avoid that it was mandated that you wash your bum with left hand and handle food only with the right.

amjath

Human Spambot
The no eating with left hand rule is very logical and scientific. There are many diseases which spread through faeco-oral route eg. common jaundice, worms etc. To avoid that it was mandated that you wash your bum with left hand and handle food only with the right.

Why not sanitize the hand [wash with soap/ sanitizer] and eat with left hand??

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Buddy there was no soap when this convention was invented. And I would hardly trust someone else who serves food to be sure that he has washed his hands properly before serving.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
> Not to cut nails at night
> No Haircut on Saturday,Tuesday,festival days
> While eating prefer food from right side of the plate :-x
> No non veg during festivals :|

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why 'roli' is tied only on the right hand? Why not left?

Even more, I've seen some stupid people saying/tying roli on the right hand of men and left hand of ladies. What difference does it make? Why different hands?

roli = that red/saffron band you tie after pooja/havan.

We had 7-day calender before Gregorian calender was introduced to us. Hindu calender which is based on both lunar and solar cycles has 360 days and additional month is there every few years to sync with Earth's orbit of 365 days.

As for meat eating, the reason I've heard is that digesting meat is heavy work for our digestive system and it takes between 24-72 hours to process it. Veg food on the other hand, takes 6-24 hours.
Actually it is opposite. I'm not advocating non-veg, but meat is easier to digest for the human body compared to cellulose. You see generally most herbivores have a huge small-intestine compared to their body size.

*answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080511205659AAEBUDg

I dunno about our old calendar, but was it exactly like this Gregorian calendar?? Only then the old auspicious Mangalvaar will be the new Tuesday. Am I right? Otherwise this new Mangalvaar isn't the old Mangalvaar on which we were supposedly not supposed to eat meat.

Find me a 'intelligent' superstition, maybe then I can post some 'stupid' ones.
just a figure of speech, my friend. :)

yup, that's a good explanation.

But this shouldn't apply in the 21st century. We've got good soaps now. And water jet.

Top Bottom