stupid superstitions in India

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Not eating during eclipse.
  • Not cutting nails at night.

These are the two I came across today. Let's list more.

ashs1

Padawan
1.The concept of fasting in the name of God seems a bit too much for me.
And some people say they are fasting and then gobble up sabudana Vada and sabudana kichadi :-x

2. Astrology and and similar stuff.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
  • Not eating during eclipse.
  • Not cutting nails at night.

These are the two I came across today. Let's list more.

No going out during eclipse
No going to washrooms during toilet.

Add this to Eclipse special.

Well, I did got a logic for no eating during eclipse once from a elder person. It was like, Sun rays protect us from man germs and all, it kills them. But while on eclipse, it doesn't happen so. So eating at that time is avoided. Though he said this about Solar Eclipse. But may be as a superstition this is followed regardless of solar / lunar eclipse. Also, one thing I didn't got that time, if sun rays are not there during eclipse, then germs can affect us either way, how it's related to food only. May be food is more vulnerable to germs or so. Can't say for sure.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
No going out during eclipse
No going to washrooms during toilet.

Add this to Eclipse special.

Well, I did got a logic for no eating during eclipse once from a elder person. It was like, Sun rays protect us from man germs and all, it kills them. But while on eclipse, it doesn't happen so. So eating at that time is avoided. Though he said this about Solar Eclipse. But may be as a superstition this is followed regardless of solar / lunar eclipse. Also, one thing I didn't got that time, if sun rays are not there during eclipse, then germs can affect us either way, how it's related to food only. May be food is more vulnerable to germs or so. Can't say for sure.

ask him, what about during the night? :lol:
the earth's sun facing half kind of eclipses the sun from the half not facing it.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank God my family doesn't believe in superstitions.
Your interaction won't be limited only with your family. You might have to move out, join some college and live in hostel. You'll meet superstitious people. :(

1) No haircuts on Tuesday.
2) No eating meat on Tuesday.
I've never understood this hypocrisy from most non-veg eaters. Either you eat meat, or you don't. "No, I won't eat on XYZ day" is bullsh!t.

I dunno, but I think this 7-day calender is known as the Gregorian calender right? Didn't Britishers introduce this? There was no Mangalvaar before. How did Tuesday/Mangalvaar become suddenly auspicious?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Your interaction won't be limited only with your family. You might have to move out, join some college and live in hostel. You'll meet superstitious people. :(

I've never understood this hypocrisy from most non-veg eaters. Either you eat meat, or you don't. "No, I won't eat on XYZ day" is bullsh!t.

I dunno, but I think this 7-day calender is known as the Gregorian calender right? Didn't Britishers introduce this? There was no Mangalvaar before. How did Tuesday/Mangalvaar become suddenly auspicious?

I think it is due to pooja or something.
I eat non-veg @school very day. Good thing that the people I socialize with don't mind me eating non-veg on Tuesdays.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
This is the one my mom keeps telling me. And the rest are from my grandmother.
• Don't look at the mirror at night. I ask her back what's the definition of night? Well you know that look, when people can't answer something constructively, she gives.
• Can't eat non veg on my birthday, which are some hours from now.
• Don't let your left foot touch outside your home, when you are going for good work. It got to be the right foot.

Can't think of any more, but there are a lot of them.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^I am going to set the world on fire everyday, left foot is auspicious for that.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
ask him, what about during the night? :lol:
the earth's sun facing half kind of eclipses the sun from the half not facing it.

That's what I said. He said that to me a long back, for solar eclipse. But yesterday it was lunar eclipse. Anyway logic doesn't seems to fit much. But may be as a superstition this is followed regardless of solar / lunar eclipse

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. For this also I got a reason from my granddad, we should not eat non-veg everyday, it's not good for our health, one day in a week we should eat veg. So back at that time, it was hard to make people understand, so they created a rule aligned with god (which people used to believe and follow mostly), is that one day (tue) in a week should be veg. But my granddad said, it was like just to convince people, you can have veg on any day, there's nothing you need to have it on tue only.

He used to say, our Hindu religion is most scientific and all. What Rishi and muni's did back then are getting discovered now. It's just that people didn't used to understand logic so they created these superstitions so that people will follow in fear of god.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
This is the one my mom keeps telling me. And the rest are from my grandmother.
• Don't look at the mirror at night. I ask her back what's the definition of night? Well you know that look, when people can't answer something constructively, she gives.
• Can't eat non veg on my birthday, which are some hours from now.
• Don't let your left foot touch outside your home, when you are going for good work. It got to be the right foot.

Can't think of any more, but there are a lot of them.

wow. I never heard of these before though I used to get don't eat non-veg on Tuesdays.

Some others I been asked to do.

- not to accept prasad with left hand (even if left hand is cleaner than right)
- not to sleep at night with legs in direction of god or south.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
wow. I never heard of these before though I used to get don't eat non-veg on Tuesdays.

Some others I been asked to do.

- not to accept prasad with left hand (even if left hand is cleaner than right)
- not to sleep at night with legs in direction of god or south.
Do you guys have special beds fitted with compasses?

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Yes, most Indians are superstitious. But, not all "superstitions" are really superstitious.
We are all blindly following what our forefathers were doing without finding the actual reasons.
I you watch closely, most of these (superstitious) activities follow a timetable (when to do and when not).
If we follow all the activities that are done-by time table, you can connect the dots and find some reason in them.
I am not superstitious myself but I am trying to find patterns/ logic for these activities.