Sony Xperia 2013 Thread

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Just comparing two phones that are available NOW. S4 isn't even announced yet, when it comes all sites will surely compare Z with it. :)

ajaymailed

In the zone
^
Just comparing two phones that are available NOW. S4 isn't even announced yet, when it comes all sites will surely compare Z with it. :)
i would luv to see how they would fight it out when S4 comes out. Xperia Z is obviously generation ahead of S3, Soc/Design Wise, its even a surprise for me that S3 system benchmarks figures try to compete with Krait Soc Phones. The key things to look out for is Camera, Display, Touch Response/Browser Speed, System/Browser benchmarks etc. I think HTC & LG has to up their ante as far as their Cameras are concerned, especially LG is bit weak as far as Smartphone Cameras are concerned.

Sony did a very good job by providing microSD Card Slot & 16 GB Internal Memory, 2 GB RAM also ensures heavy games run smoothly.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
i would luv to see how they would fight it out when S4 comes out. Xperia Z is obviously generation ahead of S3, Soc/Design Wise, its even a surprise for me that S3 system benchmarks figures try to compete with Krait Soc Phones. The key things to look out for is Camera, Display, Touch Response/Browser Speed, System/Browser benchmarks etc. I think HTC & LG has to up their ante as far as their Cameras are concerned, especially LG is bit weak as far as Smartphone Cameras are concerned.

Sony did a very good job by providing microSD Card Slot & 16 GB Internal Memory, 2 GB RAM also ensures heavy games run smoothly.
SGS3 is a fantastic phone, no doubt, but the design sucks, look like a pure girly phone, period and at least a dozen of my friends supported this, even my Optimus L9 looks better than SGS3 imho, what samsung needs to do is get back to the design board, its like taking a V10 engine and putting it in this:
*2.bp.blogspot.com/_162jLa8kOgs/TRBO63D1RQI/AAAAAAAABJU/BKcK_lQyCyQ/s1600/Nissan_Micra_Barbie_Car.jpg

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I've read that Xperia Z's display is not as good as HTC Butterfly.

All I know that SGS4 is going to rule this year too. Reasons
1. They are probably using the ExmorRS sensors from Sony so same camera as Z
2. Adreno 320 will look pale in benchmark results compared to SGX543. Actual performance may not vary that much
3. Samsung is known to put decent batteries. Coupled with Exynos5 Octa's big little configuration, battery life will be better than quadcore Snapdragon S4 Pro
4. SAMOLED is equally good... if not better than LCD3 of butterfly

Their design is **** and they make phones my melting polythene bags I agree. I m just talking about performance

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
I've read that Xperia Z's display is not as good as HTC Butterfly.

All I know that SGS4 is going to rule this year too. Reasons
1. They are probably using the ExmorRS sensors from Sony so same camera as Z
2. Adreno 320 will look pale in benchmark results compared to SGX543. Actual performance may not vary that much
3. Samsung is known to put decent batteries. Coupled with Exynos5 Octa's big little configuration, battery life will be better than quadcore Snapdragon S4 Pro
4. SAMOLED is equally good... if not better than LCD3 of butterfly

Their design is **** and they make phones my melting polythene bags I agree. I m just talking about performance

That's incorrect. It's display is better than Butterfly. Just that Butterfly has slightly better viewing angles. The OptiContrast panel in the Z improves image quality on angle so at off angle it exaggerates the effect of color and contrast wash out. See both screens head on and you'll know what I mean

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. 2600mAh
4. No. :) SAMOLED sucks. No two ways about it.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Well I dont think benchmarks are going to make a difference. The cpu/gpu/ram combo is good enough for playing any game, heavy multitasking or HQ 1080p video without lag. I wish Sony had put in a bigger battery though

ajaymailed

In the zone
SGS3 is a fantastic phone, no doubt, but the design sucks, look like a pure girly phone, period and at least a dozen of my friends supported this, even my Optimus L9 looks better than SGS3 imho, what samsung needs to do is get back to the design board, its like taking a V10 engine and putting it in this: *2.bp.blogspot.com/_162jLa8kOgs/TRBO63D1RQI/AAAAAAAABJU/BKcK_lQyCyQ/s1600/Nissan_Micra_Barbie_Car.jpg
the only thing is looks are subjective. Samsung should be criticized for the design of their phones but they do very well job as far as hardware is concerned. I also hope they do away with the hardware button so that more screen space can be added within the same size.

IMO Smartphone is dominantly about Screen because 99.99% of the time, we will look only & use only the Screen. When we start playing that HD Video on a smartphone with an excellent high resolution, high contrast screen, we forget everything else,simply awesome, probably the biggest WOW factor on any smartphone. Its the same reason phones like Galaxy Note are able to steal the thunder from other flagship phones despite its uncomfortably huge size

Besides phone should be ergonomic, comfortable to hold, not too heavy/thick, I really dont mind Samsung using ultra cheap feeling plastic as long as its strong & durable, after all their main intention is to reduce weight. But Samsung should come out with better designs.

I may not like the above car, but if it uses a good engine & has excellent performance, it will obviously tilt my decision towards it despite the ugly looks.

tkin

Back to school!!
the only thing is looks are subjective. Samsung should be criticized for the design of their phones but they do very well job as far as hardware is concerned. I also hope they do away with the hardware button so that more screen space can be added within the same size.

IMO Smartphone is dominantly about Screen because 99.99% of the time, we will look only & use only the Screen. When we start playing that HD Video on a smartphone with an excellent high resolution, high contrast screen, we forget everything else,simply awesome, probably the biggest WOW factor on any smartphone. Its the same reason phones like Galaxy Note are able to steal the thunder from other flagship phones despite its uncomfortably huge size

Besides phone should be ergonomic, comfortable to hold, not too heavy/thick, I really dont mind Samsung using ultra cheap feeling plastic as long as its strong & durable, after all their main intention is to reduce weight. But Samsung should come out with better designs.

I may not like the above car, but if it uses a good engine & has excellent performance, it will obviously tilt my decision towards it despite the ugly looks.
Then you are a exception, looks matter, at least in a very basic way, even my sister bought OneX over SGS III cause it looked to cheap or plasticky she said, not my words, her.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Looks come second, but that doesn't mean that you can design a premium product with cheap plastic? Samsung do that, always. When Galaxy S was released, i went gaga over that phone for it's awesome specs and price, but once i bought the phone, i regret my decision for design alone. After prolonged usage, i feel it is good in terms of performance, but till today i feel bad about their design.

When someone is paying >35k, you shouldn't mess with them by giving some el cheap build quality. It's like what tkin said, installing v8 engine in Maruthi 800.

mohityadavx

Youngling
Hey People you sure about that price of 36k as on some site they suggest it will be around ~44.7k as its UK price is 529 pounds (Rs 44662.20) also competitor phone like butterfly iPhone 5 also similarly priced

tkin

Back to school!!
Hey People you sure about that price of 36k as on some site they suggest it will be around ~44.7k as its UK price is 529 pounds (Rs 44662.20) also competitor phone like butterfly iPhone 5 also similarly priced
A few sites and randomuser111 said it, lets see, I think it would be 36k as randomuser111's reputation in the forum depend on it and he said 36k.

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Yes 36k. :)
42 isn't even the MRP of the Z. So if someone asks 44k, tell him you will complaint to Sony India and get their dealership cancelled:D

tkin

Back to school!!
Yes 36k. :)
42 isn't even the MRP of the Z. So if someone asks 44k, tell him you will complaint to Sony India and get their dealership cancelled:D
*encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTOUPXKt6QYmNVGvw9ybNrN91r96JO-YIZHG3xOqQVdXsBblaS

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Xperia Z has better battery life than Galaxy S2 ?

Sony Xperia Z first battery test comes out pretty decent - GSMArena Blog

Xperia Z low light comparison against Note 2 and Nexus 4

Sony Xperia Z video camera's low-light performance compared to the Galaxy Note 2 and Nexus 4 - GSMArena Blog

dharmil007

Journeyman
Xperia Z Can Take 999 pics in 68 secs in Burst Mode

Aint that pretty Much AWESOME :) :)

That even surpasses the companys claim

tkin

Back to school!!
Xperia Z Can Take 999 pics in 68 secs in Burst Mode

Aint that pretty Much AWESOME :) :)

That even surpasses the companys claim
First won't that need a class 10 microsd card?

And second, won't the quality suffer? Even modern high end bridges can't do that without quality loss.

ajaymailed

In the zone
^^ Looks come second, but that doesn't mean that you can design a premium product with cheap plastic? Samsung do that, always. When Galaxy S was released, i went gaga over that phone for it's awesome specs and price, but once i bought the phone, i regret my decision for design alone. After prolonged usage, i feel it is good in terms of performance, but till today i feel bad about their design.

When someone is paying >35k, you shouldn't mess with them by giving some el cheap build quality. It's like what tkin said, installing v8 engine in Maruthi 800.

Then you are a exception, looks matter, at least in a very basic way, even my sister bought OneX over SGS III cause it looked to cheap or plasticky she said, not my words, her.
in daily usage, i don't feel the cheap plastic because of the cover on my galaxy s2. I show to my friends how cheap the S2s back cover feels, and yet its performance is so good. Its some kind of stupid design philosophy Samsung has, they force people to decide between looks & performance.
They don't seem to intend or try to provide premium feel, gorgeous looks like apple, sony or HTC and instead concentrate on hardware, features and price it properly to appeal the masses. Its surprising how many people chose these ugly cheap looking designs, making them the most popular android models.

When someone is paying >35k, you shouldn't mess with them by giving some el cheap build quality.
Galaxy phones look cheap, feel cheap but they are decently tough, durable, ergonomic n compact. the plastic makes the phone lighter, reduces the damage up on falling. Build quality should not be just about how it feels & looks.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
in daily usage, i don't feel the cheap plastic because of the cover on my galaxy s2. I show to my friends how cheap the S2s back cover feels, and yet its performance is so good. Its some kind of stupid design philosophy Samsung has, they force people to decide between looks & performance.
They probably use cheap looking plastic to keep costs lower. they don't seem to intend or try to provide premium feel, gorgeous looks like apple, sony or HTC and instead concentrate on hardware, features and price it properly to appeal the masses. Its surprising how many people chose these ugly cheap looking designs, making them the most popular android models.
All due to advertising, samsung probably spends as much in advertising as the entire promotion budget of other companies combined.

ajaymailed

In the zone
All due to advertising, samsung probably spends as much in advertising as the entire promotion budget of other companies combined.
what do you think Sony, HTC, LG or even Motorola is doing wrong? and wouldnt they spent those same huge amounts on promotion in past when Samsung had tiny smartphone share?, Its definitely easier to promote a premium feel & good looking Sony Phone than a ugly looking galaxy.
IMO even today, HTC & Sonys credibility, brand, trust in smartphone market will be higher than Samsung. yet smartphone makers like ZTE, Huawei, Lenovo are able beat HTC & Sony in smartphone shipments.

Top Bottom