Question regarding dell studio 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
I am ordering this laptop on monday. If anybody could answer some questions of mine it will be a gr8 help...
1. Is it advisable to go for 512 mb ati hd 4570 instead of 256 mb. Means will it have any performance boost?
2. Should upgrade hard drive to 7200 rpm from 5400 rpm? What type of boost this upgrade will have?
3. And finally this one is the most confusing, should i go for intel wifi link 5300 (802.11) half-mini card instead of intel wifi link 5100. I only connect to my college wifi which is 50-60 mbps lan network.
Also any colour suggestions..?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
1. Depends which one is ddr3 and which one is ddr2.
2. Personally, I havent seen much different between drives unless its something like a raptor or SSD drives. Stick to 5400rpm to save extra cash.
3. Laptops do have inbuilt wifi adapters. I think the one for dell is either broadcomm or intel. The speed is more depending on the ISP/router/settings. wifi adapters are just receivers. But the ones dell sends (and some older ones) do support 802.11 a/b/g/n.
I work for Dell U.S. so we give a hardware warranty and if customers want software warranty, then Dell on call tech support charges $239 which covers 4 major incidences wityh 72 hour of grace period for each issue with a validity of 1 year. I am not sure how Dell India works, but the point is get information and confirm if the warranty they are giving is only for hardware or does it cover software.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
what is the cost of the this laptop and where are you buying it ?

just checked the site ......it does not say weather the graphics card RAM is ddr 2 or 3 ......any suggestions on how to find out

Last edited:

mike ming

weathered!
finally found some body buying studio 15!! m getting my studio 15 on tuesday!
1. go for 512 if ur a hardcore gamer or else settle for 256mb
*www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4570.13885.0.html
2. 7200 rpm will eat up ur battery. if ur not concerned with this then go for it.
3. 5100 is more than enough for the requirements u have.

the GPU is available in GDDR3, DDR3, DDR2. check the above site for ur graphics related queries.

OP
P

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
It is 50k unconfigured without taxes and i will order it online.
Yes i like playing games a lot... So i would like to go for 512 mb vram if it offers even 10% performance gain. I dont know if it is gddr2 or gddr3. Is there any way to find out?

Does 7200 rpm hard disk gives better performance gains in games? I am not concerned about battery.

So if u people say that intel 5300 will not give any performance gains, i will go for a backlit keyboard.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Best if you confirm via calling Dell India and ask them personally. If your city needs to pay octroi, then that will be included later. Just as an FYI- 256MB ddr3 is better than 512MB DDR2. As I said- I haven't seen any much difference between 7200RPM and 5400RPM- its more depending on how many platters are there on the hard drive and sequential read speed, ram read speed and average transfer rate. For a 50k, one can go for a desktop and this way you can enjoy better games. Other than that, its the pointers I gave you.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
256 mb ddr 3 is cheaper than the 512 MB ddr2???? the dell site is adding 1600 bucks to upgrade from the 256 to 512.....can someone please check if it really is a ddr3 card....

OP
P

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
I will upgrade my desky later. Right Now i need to have this laptop and want to maximize the gaming performance on this configuration.

I am willing to spend 1.6k for 512 mb vram. Addition 0.5 for red colour and near 1k for backlit keyboard. That way it shall cost near 54k with taxes. But i will get an additional 5% discount for being an iit student. Henceforth it will cost 52k. Is it allright guys?
I am not going for 7200rpm hdd and intel wifi 5300 as u guys suggested...

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Its more on the router and the connection when it comes to lag. However, many gamers still prefer the good old fashioned but more reliable rj45 cable over wifi for gaming. As for onboard wif you just need to make sure it works on 802.11b/g/n which all new ones will.

mike ming

weathered!
Go for the xps gaming laptop.
*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1730?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
how do you get a discount for being an IIT student? and what other colleges are there in that list ....? any chance of ISM dhanbad being there?

BTW is the graphics ram ddr 2 or ddr3 ?

abhisheksohal

Red till Death..
Yea...plz let us know how to get that student discount..coz im in PEC,chandigarh..and i also wanna know that is this laptop available in retail stores like some other models of dell are available??

foruamit2004

Broken In
@ thread starter

faster harddrive will only reduce the loading time etc. , their will be no performance gain in games..

regarding gfx card, configure the system and submit, when they call you and send the final quotation, most probably they will mention if it is ddr2 or ddr3, or ask them before payment.. also any wifi card will be sufficient for ur requirement..

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
even the final statement does not tell whether the card is ddr2 or ddr 3 ....and the ATI 4570 is so new that there are no reviews available for it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom