[Preview + Feedback] Digit July 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
For now, I'm adding the DVD/CD highligts. Will update this post later with the Magazine contents.

DVD
Gaming > Free
Counter-Strike 2D 0.1.0.4
Counter-Strike 2D is a freeware clone of the well known game Counter-Strike. Experience the most famous multiplayer game ever in a top-down 2D perspective.

PCSX2
PCSX2 is a PlayStation 2 emulator for Windows and Linux. The PCSX2 project attempts to allow PS2 code to be executed on your computer, thus meaning you can put a PS2 DVD or CD into your computers drive, and boot it up!

Soldat
Soldat is a unique side-view multiplayer action game. It takes the best from games like Liero, Worms, Quake and Counter-Strike and gives you fast action gameplay with tons of blood and flesh.

Warsow
Warsow is a free standalone first person shooter game for Windows and Linux. It is based on the Qfusion 3D engine (a modification of the Quake 2 GPL engine), and aimed on the competitive scene, or the e-sports community. Warsow is developped under the motto "by gamers for gamers" by a team coming from all kinds of gaming backgrounds.

Gaming > Demos
Devil May Cry 4
In Devil May Cry 4 Capcom's gunslinging demon hunter Dante is back, but this fourth chapter will introduce a new hero, Nero, who possesses a demonic arm that can pull in enemies or use them as projectiles. This demo allows you to play ten minutes of Devil May Cry 4 gameplay along with a boss battle.

SimCity Societies
From futuristic metropolises and fantastical haunted cities to obedient authoritarian states and devout contemplative towns - what kind of city to create is up to you. Choose between creative modes or strategic modes that will challenge you to keep your citizens content and your budget balanced. With this accessible, innovative and versatile city-builder, you can choose from more than 500 buildings to create the city of your dreams.

Entertainment > HD
Big Buck Bunny
Big Buck Bunny (code-named Peach) is a short animated film by the Blender Institute, part of the Blender Foundation. Like the foundation's previous film Elephants Dream, the film is made using free software. Work began in October, 2007, the film was officially released in an April 10th, 2008 premiere in Amsterdam, while online movie downloads and files were released on May 30th, 2008. This is the 480p version, with surround sound.

Plus: The original soundtrack for the Big Buck Bunny movie. The composer is Jan Morgenstern, and all files are high quality OGGs.

Kung Fu Panda
Po the Panda is the laziest animals in all of the Valley of Peace, but unwittingly becomes the chosen one when enemies threaten their way of life.

Productivity > Personal
eHour 0.8.2
Microsoft WorldWide Telescope
Expressivo 1.4.1
Nero Linux 3.5.1.0
SuperCat 4.4
TOWeb 2.6.0.523

Productivity > Developers
Adobe AIR SDK
Microsoft MSDN Library
Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 x64
Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 x86
Microsoft XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP
OpenSwing 1.6.4
3DPaintBrush
Visual Paradigm Suite 3.3

Productivity > Drivers
ATI Catalyst 8.5
DirectX 9.0c June 2008 Redistributable
NVIDIA Forceware 175.16 for Windows XP
Realtek HD Audio Codec 1.95

Plus: 75 Wallpapers

DVD is Bootable with Fedora 9

CD

Regulars > Essentials
.net Framework 2.0
µTorrent 1.7.7
Avast Home Edition 4.8
Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.25.378
Foxit Reader 2.3
Free Download Manager 2.5 build 758
Irfan View 4.10
Java(TM) 2 Runtime
K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 3.9.5
Opera 9.50
Silverlight
Spybot Search and Destroy 1.52
VLC Player 0.8.6h
WinRAR 3.71

Regulars > Updates And Add-ons
Avast Update
AVG 8.0 Updates
Digit Software Archive 2006 Beta
Irfan View 4.10 Plugins
McAfee Virus Definition Updates
Norton AntiVirus Virus Definitions June 08, 2008
Spybot Search and Detection updates
Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 Update

Tools > Multimedia
AIMP 2.11
Blender 2.46 for Linux
Blender 2.46 for Windows
foobar2000 0.9.5.3
Handbrake 0.9.2 for Linux
Handbrake 0.9.2 for Windows
YafRay 0.0.9
Fraps 2.9.4
Daniusoft DVD Video Converter Pack 1.4.0.0

Tools > Internet
Firefox 3 Release Candidate 3 for Linux
Firefox 3 Release Candidate 3 for Windows
Gtalk Labs Edition
HLSW 1.2.1
K-Meleon 1.1.5
Miranda 0.7.7
Pidgin 2.4.2
NetDrive 1.0.0.28

Tools > System
Ad-Aware 2008 7.1.0.8
Adobe AIR
a-squared Free 3.5
Avira AntiVir Personal
Gridmove 1.19.42
JetAudio Basic 7.1.1.3101
MagicDisc Virtual CD/DVD-ROM
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.1
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
Microsoft Pro Photo Tools Version 1
Microsoft Zune 2.5 x64
Microsoft Zune 2.5 x86
RocketDock 1.3.5
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
ThreatFire
DivX Converter
Spyware Doctor 5.5 for Windows
WindowBlinds 6.1 build 55

Plus 25 Wallpapers

Magazine Contents

Fast Track To Troubleshooting Your PC II
By popular demand, we've added a whole host of answers to the latest problems plaguing our readers into this Fast Track.

Cover Story
Digit takes a trip to Epic Studio in the US to meet with Cliffy B and his team to try and find out how games are made; the atmosphere game designers work in; a sneak peek at Gears Of War II and also a short look at Indian games and the opportunities we have available right here in India.

Insight
What makes NVIDIA's newest 280 core so special? Find out.

Main Story
The best freeware applications of all time.

Enhance
Learn languages online, and how it can help you as a hobby as well as in your careers.

Agent001 goes Digital Camera shopping

Tips N Tricks to Microsoft Office and Firefox 3

Workshop: Time-lapse photography
Workshop: Blocking Ads using your browser(s)

Know More about: The e-mail architecture

16 of the best projectors tested

Tech Careers
Cyber forensics. Want to be Sherlock Holmes o the digital age? You're going to need to read this article to find out how.

Smart SoHo
How to do your own security audit. This applies to small businesses, SoHos as well as individuals.

Case Study
We all talk about conserving energy, but how many of us are actually doing something about it? Meet a company that will allow you to do your bit by using your own muscle power to power your devices.

Leisure Main
Save The Bits, Save The World! A look at how we waste bandwidth online, and why we (the end-user) are the reason behind the cost of bandwidth not falling!

Game Reviews
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
Ninja Gaeden
GTA 4
Mass Effect

Please note that there is no Q&A section this time, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Thanks Raaabo I was gonna ask that you should post the preview as soon as you lock the demand thread. Seems like you read my mind. Thanks for Fedora!

abhinav_bipnesh

Journeyman
thanks.... it seems that the DVD & CD content has improved somewhat but don't know that whether the magazine contain will have some good quality and above all will the magazine will be out on time..... That time will tell :D

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
Thanx for Fedora 9 and Microsoft MSDN Library...

please give a game review on Videos...

Thanks for HandBreak. I am sure many will benifit from it.
I can't beleive digit people were aware of this rare software thats one of the best DVD rippers ever.

toofan

Technomancer
Now that is the DVD/cd conten which you provide regularly on your normal issues.
you meshed the special issue.
and that HD content will surely test our machines and cards that how capable are they in rendering the True HD content. And It will test my 20 inch TFT also.

Thanks for this.

and will you post a preivew of the magazine content also.

Vimal joshi

toofan

Technomancer
A strange question come to my mind that the people using linux thanks team digit for the ever version of Linux OS they provide.
1. Do you people change ur OS every month?
2. If you do so, you have to formate the hard-drive each time. Means reinstalling all ur application and tweaks again and again.?
3. Don't u fed up of doing so? Why not to stick to one OS? for at least a year or So.

I use's the Linux only for testing purpose so that I can know what developments are made in the world of Linux. I install it in the Virtual Box?

I am quite satisfied with my XP experience which I only reinstalled once.(It helps in gaming also).
Edited because I just placed this in the wrong thread I think.
I m posting it on some Linux thread also. Sorry for the dual entry.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
A strange question come to my mind that the people using linux thanks team digit for the ever version of Linux OS they provide.
1. Do you people change ur OS every month?
2. If you do so, you have to formate the hard-drive each time. Means reinstalling all ur application and tweaks again and again.?
3. Don't u fed up of doing so? Why not to stick to one OS? for at least a year or So.

I use's the Linux only for testing purpose so that I can know what developments are made in the world of Linux. I install it in the Virtual Box?

I am quite satisfied with my XP experience which I only reinstalled once.(It helps in gaming also).
Edited because I just placed this in the wrong thread I think.
I m posting it on some Linux thread also. Sorry for the dual entry.

This question is going to lead another OS war, but still I will answer it.
I don't get fed up of changing OS every 2-3 months. On the contrary, we do not need to install any apps as Linux distro's comes packed with all the esential softwares like GIMP, Firefox, Evolution etc. Also I do not game a lot, so I am mostly on Linux. :)

I like to keep my pc upgraded, so installing newer release is more of a pleasure than a headache. :)

Also I thanks Digit, as I do not have a good net connection to download such big distros. If I had owned a fast net connection, then I would not have been dependent on Digit for Linux Distros.

Also I would like to ask you a few questions. I don't intend to do a war, but just as you asked, here is mine :

1) Don't you windows user get bored of the same old OS?
2) Don't you have to reinstall Windows every month to tackle virus issues and other problems?

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
ooooh... Fedora.. nice nice nice... This one's gonna be a must buy...

1) Don't you windows user get bored of the same old OS?
2) Don't you have to reinstall Windows every month to tackle virus issues and other problems?

Answer One: -- As far as i know an OS is an interface between user and hardware. Now those who actually *work* dont care how it looks like.. All it matters is that the OS you use can do your desired work or not. Both Linux and windows can do that. :-|

2.) There is something called protection. And infact if an user is away from piracy the chances of getting infected from a virus reduces by 70%.

Last edited:

New

Padawan
Average contents..What's special in Fedora 9? Does it play MP3 and all videos without any codecs this time?(No OS war please,,just asked for confermation)
Thanks Raboo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom