Need a wallpaper for this one.

*img145.imageshack.us/img145/5185/screenshot1od2.th.png

*img145.imageshack.us/img145/1193/screenshot2gf3.th.png

Ubuntu edited
Added icons, wallpaper, etc
*img91.imageshack.us/img91/4537/screenshothp4.th.png

Sykora

I see right through you.
@Eddie : It started out as a geek factor, I'll admit. But later on, the advantage became clear. Speed. Anything I can do in KDE, I can do in ratpoison faster. I do log in to KDE every once in a while to look at the wallpaper :) but I don't miss it that much. The reason for speed is pretty simple. Rapoison is literally that : poison for that rodent. I don't have to touch the mouse, so I don't waste time moving my hand from the keyboard to the mouse and back.

eddie

El mooooo
I do not know what kind of system resources you have at your disposal and I also don't know what kind of work you do but still I am expressing my views. Don't take it in the spirit of "My software is better than yours"..its just a general comment.

I have tried ratpoison for very small amount of time but I am a regular user of screen (but moving very strongly towards konsole now). AFAIK both ratpoison and screen share similar commands. After using it for that small amount of time, I do not see anything in ratpoison that can entice a user with reasonable system resources towards it (except geek factor).

I understand that a coder might not need to move his/her mouse in ratpoison at all but so can be done in KDE as well. I simply do not see how it is more "usable" then KDE.

Sykora

I see right through you.
Ratpoison is a very efficient manager of screen space. No space is wasted. In KDE, you have to move your windows around, and it becomes hard if you're managing 5 or 6 windows at the same time, which is normal in many developing environments. Rarpoison does this with ease. As I said, it does have a very steep learning curve, so it is not possible to get to know it in a short time. It has to grow on you.

And in answer to another of your questions, I am a developer, so I'm coding most of the time, and I do have enough resources to run KDE smoothly, so it's not the lack of resources thing.

eddie

El mooooo
Sykora said:
Ratpoison is a very efficient manager of screen space. No space is wasted. In KDE, you have to move your windows around, and it becomes hard if you're managing 5 or 6 windows at the same time, which is normal in many developing environments.
You need to look at Windows Behavior in KDE's Control Center. Specifically "Placement" and "Snap Zones" under "Moving". It can be configured to be as space saving and as random placing as you want.
And in answer to another of your questions, I am a developer, so I'm coding most of the time, and I do have enough resources to run KDE smoothly, so it's not the lack of resources thing.
See, I am not saying that you need to use KDE. I am just saying that KDE is probably the only DE that can be "configured" in what ever way you want. It can mimic most of the WMs and DE in functionality while looking beautiful :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
eddie said:
You need to look at Windows Behavior in KDE's Control Center. Specifically "Placement" and "Snap Zones" under "Moving". It can be configured to be as space saving and as random placing as you want.
See, I am not saying that you need to use KDE. I am just saying that KDE is probably the only DE that can be "configured" in what ever way you want. It can mimic most of the WMs and DE in functionality while looking beautiful :)
Absolutely.
And with KDE4, there's a big eye treat of Plasma, Phonon, Solid coming our way!

mediator

Technomancer
Hi guys, I just got time to do some image makeover for mah FC5! Here's the new screenshots!

*img142.imageshack.us/img142/4783/screenshot1ab2.th.png

*img216.imageshack.us/img216/6848/screenshot2mf1.th.png

I'll soon post the screenshots from mah knoppix box.
Keep posting ur innovations too!

mediator

Technomancer
Well here's the first screen shot from mah knoppix!

*img213.imageshack.us/img213/9605/snapshot1op8.th.jpg

I will post more soon! C'mon keep post ur innvoations.

mediator

Technomancer
Hi guuyss,
Why is this thread not getting enough replies even when the Linux desktop enhancers are out??

Neways here are some desktop shots from my newly acquired Ubuntu Edgy with Beryl.

1 . *www.imageupload.com/uploads/thumb_e7251_Screenshot.png 2 . *www.imageupload.com/uploads/thumb_bdd1e_Screenshot-1.png

3 . *www.imageupload.com/uploads/thumb_5835b_Screenshot-2.png 4 . *www.imageupload.com/uploads/thumb_ef5a4_snapshot2.png

Notice the genie effect in second image! It was quick but I took it anyway!
Njoy the Bery l! ;)

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
Check out my 3D Desktop of Fedora Core 6:
*discoverlinux.blogspot.com/2006/11/3d-effects-of-fedora-core-6.html

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
whoa!! I have never imagined that Linux can look so beautiful.
@mediator, thanx to u , I just applied beryl on my edgy and Its wonderful. Just one problem , my system has become slow and some options like in menu bar of image viewer dont come when I click on say File . Edit , etc.
Is it natural or my system config dont support beryl???? I dont have GFX card and my RAM is 512 MB , 2.4 GHZ proc.

mediator

Technomancer
HI @phenom I'm glad u liked it. Neways, beryl works awesome with compatible graphic card. Whats is ur onboard graphics? U should install the one that is available for intel then.
My system hasn't become slow, but startup time has increased by 1-2 seconds. The menu bar shouldn't be affected. Everything on my lappy is working fine. Since beryl is still in development stages and is little unstable, u can say I'm lucky to be experiencing it flawlessly.

U shud execute the following code to check if everything will work fine.
glxinfo | grep direct
If it says yes, then ur the lucky one and install beryl with compatible graphics. :)

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@mediator, my onboard graphics is 64MB. and below is the output of ur said command.

root@phenom-desktop:~# glxinfo | grep direct
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
direct rendering: Yes
root@phenom-desktop:~#

Now what does it means ???

mediator

Technomancer
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
This line is showed in my terminal too with different end code. But everything works fine on my lappy. I guess ur 64 MB onboard graphics is insufficient and that may be the reason why ur Ubuntu is running slow with beryl. May be I'm wrong here,I'm not so sure. On my lappy onboard is 128 MB. U may buy a nvidia graphic card. That shud solve all ur problem. If I'm correct, I think 256 MB graphic cards have become cheap these days. U may consult some websites and buy a descently priced 256 MB graphic card.

On my desktop, I have fedora 5 with 256 Mb graphic card. I'll use beryl on it when I'll upgrade the distro and tell again the difference in speed and stability. But I'm not free for 1 month so as to upgrade fedora.

So, In ur case I guess the 64 MB is the bottleneck. Mean while post ur desktop screenshot with beryl. Also check if u can increase ur onborad graphics from BIOS .

Top Bottom