Overheating problems

Chetan1991

Youngling
I blew up my a mosfet which powered the gpu in my laptop after replacing its thermal pad with compound, which couldn't fill the gap. After repairing that I stacked 2 new thermal pads on the gpu.

Its temp is 15 to 20 deg higher than the cpu now, and quickly rises 100 deg if I open any game. How can I lower that?

I blew up my a mosfet which powered the gpu in my laptop after replacing its thermal pad with compound, which couldn't fill the gap. After repairing that I stacked 2 new thermal pads on the gpu.

Its temp is 15 to 20 deg higher than the cpu now, and quickly rises 100 deg if I open any game. How can I lower that?

Which thermal pads did you use?

Chetan1991

Youngling
[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION] the gap is too large for thermal compound.

I used some generic thermal pads I found on ebay as I didnt find any branded ones.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Contact dell support and see if they can help you. Or see if you can buy compatible thermal pad from Dell directly

Chetan1991

Youngling
My laptop's pretty old so I doubt Dell would help. I'm trying to get a small copper plate now which I'll surround with the pads. Would that be more effective?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
My laptop's pretty old so I doubt Dell would help. I'm trying to get a small copper plate now which I'll surround with the pads. Would that be more effective?

simply clean the heatsink,fan etc properly,re apply thermal paste carefully and if need be,buy a new heatsink and fan(costs 750 bucks)

yash98

Right off the assembly line
I decided to install Ubuntu on my Asus Zenbook pro UX501J laptop.Before installing I tried taking a system image of my hard disk using default windows 10 system image creator.Even after going on foe almost 6 hours,it showed an error message and failed to create a system image.Although I went ahead and installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my laptop with windows in dual boot sucessfully.Now when I boot into Ubuntu,I see that my laptop now heats much more than before.Even under light usage,the core temperatures reach 65 C in 10 minutes and on playing a 4k video only the cpu temperatures crossed 70 C mark even though I set the fans to run at their max speed.While using windows I see,that my laptop heats more than before but still considerably less than in Ubuntu although temperatue remains above 60 C.I dont know if this is because of the fact that my laptop stayed at considerable high temperature while I tried taking a system image for 6 hours which may have damaged the internals.Or is it because of a problem with the drivers in Ubuntu or something else?

Chetan1991

Youngling
I dont know if this is because of the fact that my laptop stayed at considerable high temperature while I tried taking a system image for 6 hours which may have damaged the internals.Or is it because of a problem with the drivers in Ubuntu or something else?

No its probably just a drivers issue with Ubuntu. Try live booting with some other distros. Can't say about heating issue with Windows though.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am also excited to know about CPUCOOL .. Please elaborate don't paste your previous link #hermit

seriously ! you are quoting 11 years old post. Good luck with that.

Anyway, if you are interested about buying thermal paste then post your issue to get suggestion accordingly.

quicky008

Technomancer
I am looking for a good quality thermal paste-wanted to go for noctua nt h1, but its a tad expensive at around rs 1000(on amazon).

I found some cheaper options such as corsair tm30, and arctic mx 2. Are these decent alternatives as compared to the noctua nt h1. Which one among the 2 is more effective?

Top Bottom