Overheating problems

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Get Antec Formulae 5. It's safer than Arctic Silver 5 which is conductive.

There is a 80 way TIM comparison on benchmarks reviews.com, do check that out.

Arctic Silver V is not conductive of electricity. Although when near electric terminals it can potentially cause problems due to capacitance. But chances are real low IMO.

Source: Arctic Silver product manual

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Arctic Silver V is not conductive of electricity. Although when near electric terminals it can potentially cause problems due to capacitance. But chances are real low IMO.

Source: Arctic Silver product manual

a little dash of AS V was lying in the mobo when I poorly pasted last time. Laptop is still running. :lol:

Hrishi

I got MX-2 yesterday , and spent almost 2hrs , from my extremely busy schedule and took the liberty of opening the laptop despite of prevailing warranty on it , most probably voiding it.
The previous TIM ( stock) was applied too badly and felt like el-cheapo paste. Dried up as well.

Cleaned it with alcohol ( I used Axe After-Shave lotion.It's alcohol. ) .
Now , re-applied quite a decent amount of TIM over the GPU and CPU , and also spread evenly.
Re-sealed the stuff , and now waiting for effects to get in place.

Within 5mins, itself , I can feel the difference. The laptop is running way too cooler. Not sure , if it;s because I cleaned up the laptop's fan and dust , or whether it's the TIM.

Will report back after a week of usage with stress testing.
Update : It has not even crossed 60C yet , on any cores , despite of moderate to high end usage. 25W.
Given that it's running on top of laptop cooler. ( It also seems to have improved cooler's efficiency as well.)

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Aftershaves have additives in them. It may potentially deposit on the surface reducing the TIM efficiency. Best is 99℅ IPA and if not available 70℅ works just fine (rubbing spirit found in any chemist shop)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I got MX-2 yesterday , and spent almost 2hrs , from my extremely busy schedule and took the liberty of opening the laptop despite of prevailing warranty on it , most probably voiding it.
The previous TIM ( stock) was applied too badly and felt like el-cheapo paste. Dried up as well.

Cleaned it with alcohol ( I used Axe After-Shave lotion.It's alcohol. ) .
Now , re-applied quite a decent amount of TIM over the GPU and CPU , and also spread evenly.
Re-sealed the stuff , and now waiting for effects to get in place.

Within 5mins, itself , I can feel the difference. The laptop is running way too cooler. Not sure , if it;s because I cleaned up the laptop's fan and dust , or whether it's the TIM.

Will report back after a week of usage with stress testing.
Update : It has not even crossed 60C yet , on any cores , despite of moderate to high end usage. 25W.
Given that it's running on top of laptop cooler. ( It also seems to have improved cooler's efficiency as well.)

Should have used 70% Isopropyl alcohol but oh well.
Try Prime95+Heaven/Kombustor.

Hrishi

^I have cleaned that using cotton very well after using the after shave. The surface was rubbed clean to make sure nothing is there.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Just for reference my i5 4570 CPU temp idle is 32 Deg when Ambient is around 25 Deg. I got 5 fans in total in the system along with a good CPU Cooler. (Refer Sig.)

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Guys, Can you please post some links to buy Thermal Paste Online preferably 750 Rs or lower ? Also something to remove the existing one ?
I can't find anything on Flipkart , also can't find the ones mentioned above on Snapdeal.

My CPU is running idle at 60C on stock cooler (no OC) & refuses to play games. Will re-applying Thermal Paste fix it or do I need a different cooler ?

CPU - i5 2500
MoBo - Asus P8z68 V Pro
Case - Cooler Master Elite 310

Should I buy this from here?

Deepcool Z9 Thermal Paste 3.0g price in india Rs.590. Buy Deepcool Z9 Thermal Paste 3.0g online : Theitdepot.com

I read about 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the old stuff , what is that & where can you buy that from ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom