Overheating problems

manashp9876

Broken In
@ manashp9876 - Thje temp of ore i5 2500k in you pc look a little high under idle and load.

post a cpu-z screenshot of your cpu - I think your cpu vcore is just too high.

BTW, which app you are using to measure cpu temp ?

screenshot added.Real temp it is.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
ok, after seeing a CPU overheating post here, i decided to check my CPU temps with Core Temp and Everest... Core Temp showed my CPU running between 70 and 80 degrees always! But it never went over 80, even while playing an intensive game like Bulletstorm!
So i was reading around here and saw several useful bits of advice. One is to change to an aftermarket cooler, another is to change the TIM, 3rd is to add fans and unclutter wires, etc.. What i did was go into BIOS after restarting and changed the core voltage from 1.375V to 1.350 and BAM! Core temps went down by 15 degrees! Will this affect system performance? Any more advice is greatly appreciated...

@nginx,
i ran the Orthos blend - stress cpu and ram test for about 20minutes.. got no warnings, max temperature was 79 degrees and current idling temperature is 61 degrees... so i guess my comp's stable for now, eh?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@ manashp9876
Try to lower the vCore. You have automatic settings on. How you loading it..?

This answer is not for Souro_Ray - I've just moved it from some other thread but due to posting time it came between manashp9876 and asingh post.

Last edited by a moderator:

pulsar_swift

Youngling
But is the temp. on load i.e. 62C using 2500k+CM Hyp. 212+ alright?

62 is alright i think, no need to worry. TjMax for intel proccys is around 100, i think you are OK.

Your Vcore is 1.1V, thats also OK.My 955 runs at 1.4V stock i tweaked it to 1.25V using K10STAT

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok, after seeing a CPU overheating post here, i decided to check my CPU temps with Core Temp and Everest... Core Temp showed my CPU running between 70 and 80 degrees always! But it never went over 80, even while playing an intensive game like Bulletstorm!
So i was reading around here and saw several useful bits of advice. One is to change to an aftermarket cooler, another is to change the TIM, 3rd is to add fans and unclutter wires, etc.. What i did was go into BIOS after restarting and changed the core voltage from 1.375V to 1.350 and BAM! Core temps went down by 15 degrees! Will this affect system performance? Any more advice is greatly appreciated...

@nginx,
i ran the Orthos blend - stress cpu and ram test for about 20minutes.. got no warnings, max temperature was 79 degrees and current idling temperature is 61 degrees... so i guess my comp's stable for now, eh?

What CPu do you have ?
Idle temp of 61C is just too high.

@ manashp9876 - your cpu temp is just fine - talking about 4.8 Ghz ( 2nd screenshot -with 1.378V cpu voltage as shown by CPU-Z )
BTW, set cpu vcore to 1.37 V in bios and see if your cpu run at 4.8Ghz without any issue and if you can see any diop in cpu idle and load temps.

R2K

In the Zone
In my HP530, to remove the back I needed to remove the screen, keyboard, power switch panel as well as wireless card, the process is tedious and you might end up breaking small components, just take it to a service center, or google search for "<laptop model> dissembling" for posts with images.

Very difficult, trust me, I've opened and assemble countless machines and gpus but I've opened only one laptop so far, it took 3 hours to reassemble, I broke a screw and will never do again.
IT WAS HELL.

i tried to do it once but i was not even able to seperate bottom cover from the laptop even after removing all the damn screws...
i felt something was not right and i just screwed it back on
BTW what is the normal temperature range for a laptop with specs in my siggy

keur

Right off the assembly line
How did you measure that temp is getting above 65c.

Use a app called Everest to know your CPU temp - post the idle temp and load temp ( ie running 2/3 apps ) the app is showing .

BTW, what apps you are using ?

i m using speedfan for checking the temprature...[especially usage of photoshop cs3,and some low graphed games ]becoz of
dis kind of temprature...my pc freezing down..and everthing stops working .....

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Specs:
Amd X2 4000 (65W) + cheapest coolermaster cpu cooler ( with thin thin base :( )
1 gb ram
4670 1gb :D
500 GB Seagate

Problem:
cpu temps are at an all time high at load. > 80C. checked with several apps.
I cleaned the heatsink and fan. enabled cool n quiet and now the idle temps are down to 45.

GPU temps are under 60 btw @ load.

Should I apply thermal paste or change the cooler ? which is the more likely problem?
any suggestions ?

Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ cute.bandar - get a new Cpu cooler as you have said your current one is kinda thin - a good TIM costs 400-500 bucks but a good CPU cooler like CM Hyper TX3 costs only 1350 bucks and comes with a small tube of TIM.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Is it possible for the temp to from from 83C to 65C in a second and then drop to 60 in the next 10 seconds? Because thats what is happening according to several temp software (speedfan , core temp etc , aida). I ran a stress test , the temp slowly increased to 83C , on turning off the stress test , the temps instantly dropped to 65.
waat is happening ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It''s possible - when you stopped those stress test apps your cpu speed and voltage was also reduced and that's why temp went down so much.

BTW, use any one temp monitoring app - for you use core temp only and 83C at load is still very high temp anyway.

randomer

Right off the assembly line
My two year old XFX 9500GT is overheating even after a good dusting ~ temp at startup is 70 and goes upto 120. Haven’t overclocked it on changed it any in other way. The thermal paste looks dried and cracked. So I figured that needs to be replaced. Is there any place in Chennai where I can get good thermal paste? I inquired at a few computer shops and all of them had them had this really cheap small 10 rupees "Heat Sink Compound" that looks like toothpaste. I did get one, but I'm worried that it isn't safe. Can I use it, or go for something of higher quality?

Also, my CPU (4 year old C2D) is reaching temperatures of 70~75 without any load. Is this because of the Chennai heat, or should I replace the thermal paste on that as well?

Top Bottom