Overheating problems

Vishw

Journeyman
Ok.. I ordered CM Hyper 212+ & MSI Cyclone from SMC. So few queries.. how do I clean the Intel HSF thermal paste off CPU? & now that I'm adding gfx card, how should I set up the cooler for optimum airflow? fan facing upward, downward, front, back? Tempest EVO already has dual 140mm exhaust on Top & one 120mm in rear, dual 120mm intake from Front & another 120mm on Side panel.

Oh & also tell me how to do push-pull setup? Is there any tut for it with pics maybe?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used only lint free cloth so far to remove TIM and so far it worked very well - you just need to be a little bit gentle while removing the TIM from cpu heat spreader though.

@ Vishw - cooler setu depends upon the space inside of your cabby - first install it "normally" like review sites do but if you face some issue you may think of other alternatives then.

in Push pull setup - place first fan - facing ram/gfx card as intake and the second fan facing rear/top of cabby as exhaust.

Vishw

Journeyman
Thanks, guys! @ topgear, you mean you don't need any cleaning liquid to clean it? & by lint free cloth you mean something like lens cleaning cloth that comes with new glasses? Will that do?

My cabby is Tempest Evo, it's pretty big, so I think there is enough room to install it either horizontally or vertically.. which one is better for single fan setup?

Ok.. will try that when I receive 2nd fan!

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Not sure how without IPA the guck can be removed, unless immense pressure is placed on the surface. That TIM adheres like glue. Try what seems best. IPA is hassle free. Heck the bottle is RS. 50..!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, guys! @ topgear, you mean you don't need any cleaning liquid to clean it? & by lint free cloth you mean something like lens cleaning cloth that comes with new glasses? Will that do?

My cabby is Tempest Evo, it's pretty big, so I think there is enough room to install it either horizontally or vertically.. which one is better for single fan setup?

Ok.. will try that when I receive 2nd fan!

Thanks! :)

just be gentle while using cloth to remove TIM and if you can do it properly it really works well.

position the cooler vertically even when 2 fans installed as yours is a good cabby ;-)

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|
Well, can any1 tell me if the following temperatures are something above normal or not. I recorded these via SpeedFan.

I'm feeling that the fan is regulating at a much higher speed than normal. :sad:

View attachment 4276

and the gpu is running at 57 degrees at ideal!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ temp looks a bit high. not in danger zone but should be below 50. ok download CPUID HWMonitor. run it & play some game for 1hr. then post a screenshot of HWMonitor. this will give us a rough idea if your PC is really overheating.

also post a CPU_Z screenshot if possible.

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
Hello Guys,

When i play games , now a days the temps of CPU are rising.( may be due to high room temperature these days). When i played for about 1 hr, it easily hits 61deg. I read that 62deg is the upper threshold of this CPU.Also, the noise of the stock heatsink/fan is ridiculous !! Its totally unbearable , and can be heard in next room also , if I am playing games .. So , for all the above issues, I was thinking to go either for CM hyper 212 + or CM Hyper 620. Any idea where can i get hyper 620? Also, will it fit inside my cabinet (elite 430). Is fixing this cooler on mobo a tough job? I havent installed any after market coolers till date..

One more query, my friend has same setup, but he has plain simple circle cabby. His temp after playin Battlefield went till 74 deg as per core temp. HOw will it affect the Phenom ll 955?? I heard that this cpu will shut off after it reaches 62deg... I m confused :?:

Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
installing a cooler with your current setup is not a big deal - your cabby has hole for back plate cpu hsf mounting.

last time I saw hyper 620 on lynx and primeabgb/smc

the cpu will only shut off if it's near 100C.

BTW, you can get a CM Hyper 212+ or Hyper N520 as well.

quad_core

installing a cooler with your current setup is not a big deal - your cabby has hole for back plate cpu hsf mounting.

last time I saw hyper 620 on lynx and primeabgb/smc

the cpu will only shut off if it's near 100C.

BTW, you can get a CM Hyper 212+ or Hyper N520 as well.

Thanks topgear for the reply. So , i need not take out the motherboard while mounting any of these cpu coolers, am i right?( CM Elite 430 cabby)

btw, which cpu cooler do you suggest among the above 3 ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you don't need to take out the mobo while installing the HSF - I'm using the same cabby with Hyper 212 anyway ;-)

and my recommendation goes for Hyper N520 - it's even better than V8 ;-)

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ you don't need to take out the mobo while installing the HSF - I'm using the same cabby with Hyper 212 anyway ;-)

and my recommendation goes for Hyper N520 - it's even better than V8 ;-)
How did you install the backplate??

quad_core

How did you install the backplate??

^^ +1.. I know elite 430 has a hole where the processor is mounted.. but is that enough?I have read in reviews that one needs to take the motherboard out for installing n520. Also, , the n520 n n620, have 2 fans, so can these be installed in elite430 without touching the side panel or the top ?

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ +1.. I know elite 430 has a hole where the processor is mounted.. but is that enough?I have read in reviews that one needs to take the motherboard out for installing n520. Also, , the n520 n n620, have 2 fans, so can these be installed in elite430 without touching the side panel or the top ?
Yes, a hole in cabby at backside helps but better to remove it completely as it offers more freedom.

Top Bottom