• MINT

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avikchaks

Ex-KGB
Re: %::::: Open Source :::::%

Im also a linux newbie , can anyone tell me is it better to go for Ubuntu GG 64or 86 , I use a AMD 64 4400+ , does Ubuntu64 offer any performance advantages to those on 64 bit hardware .

Also is it advisable to download the DVD or the CD ,
I wanna use it as a multimedia box.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

Don't confuse the poor guy. Go for mint now. After you are comfortable with Linux jump into Ubuntu.

If you got a fairly powerful system then install Mandriva in virtual machine to get a feel of it.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

avikchaks said:
Im also a linux newbie , can anyone tell me is it better to go for Ubuntu GG 64or 86 , I use a AMD 64 4400+ , does Ubuntu64 offer any performance advantages to those on 64 bit hardware .

64 bit is pretty good now but still needs a little hacking at times to get things right and working, its better if you start with a 32 bit edition. Performance difference is VERY meagre. (There's a review of Ubuntu 32 vs Ubuntu 64 at TechTree.Com which shows this clearly)

Assuming you got a net connection, download the CD and install the ubuntu-restricted-extras and you're done making it a multimedia box.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

avikchaks said:

Well if you are a first time linux user then go for 32bit only, yes 64bit has performance gains but its needs a lot of configration or hacking.

so its better stick to 32bit version only, afterwards you get 64bit one too:)

Kiran_tech_mania said:
Since you are new to linux, I suggest to go for Ubuntu. Ubuntu has large community and forums through which you can get solutions to problems easily. Mint doesn't have such a big community.
its one and same thing,
MINT = UBUNTU + SOME TWEAKS(in winodws lingo :D)

Last edited:

avikchaks

Ex-KGB

Thanx Qwerty and Gary

Btw is UbuntuGG likely to give any problems with 1440 x 900 resolution ?

i installed linux mint and i tried modifying the config file , and my OS would give error on boot up and i came back to windows .\

EDIT : I read in the ubuntu forum that ATI onboard grfx generally crash with ubuntu ? Is there any truth in it ? I use Asus M2a-Vm MOBO with ATI x1250 grfx.

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer

gary4gar said:
its one and same thing,
MINT = UBUNTU + SOME TWEAKS(in winodws lingo :D)

If this is the case, then there should not be problem. I remembered my nightmare with Foresight Linux distro! :D I just couldn't find any help for problems. People in this forum too couldn't help much.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

avikchaks said:
Btw is UbuntuGG likely to give any problems with 1440 x 900 resolution ?

EDIT : I read in the ubuntu forum that ATI onboard grfx generally crash with ubuntu ? Is there any truth in it ? I use Asus M2a-Vm MOBO with ATI x1250 grfx.
Ubuntu Gutsy will run excellently on that resolution cause now it has a very broad range of graphic detecting tools. Plus, ATi has released new drivers and Ubuntu's restricted-drivers-manager should be able to give you full support on it. :)

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU

kiran anna 2-30 install ayipondhi
it just me 20 sharp min's
browsin ,chattin ,music all this is kool

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

^^wow waiting for my gutsy CDs to arrive,can't wait.
WIth fiesty fawn 1280x1024 was what i had to use and it din't even detect my onboard graphics.

I dunno why my screen's left one inch(near about) is blackened out and right one inch seems to be 'outside' the screen.I thought it was due to the fact that fiesty wasn't detecting my graphics.Same problem with mandriva,mint.I hope my problem gets solved by Gutsy gibbon.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

The_Devil_Himself said:
^^wow waiting for my gutsy CDs to arrive,can't wait.
WIth fiesty fawn 1280x1024 was what i had to use and it din't even detect my onboard graphics.

I dunno why my screen's left one inch(near about) is blackened out and right one inch seems to be 'outside' the screen.I thought it was due to the fact that fiesty wasn't detecting my graphics.Same problem with mandriva,mint.I hope my problem gets solved by Gutsy gibbon.
Hit your monitor's Auto Geometry button.

azzu said:
how to Order them ?
Visit www.shipit.ubuntu.com

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl

mediator said:
In fedora u have to mount the windows drives manually!
no, its not that. using webmin, you can add a windrive to be mounted at boot. (no editing fstab) :)

Go for Fedora 7. Its the best what i like.

avikchaks

Ex-KGB

QwertyManiac said:
Ubuntu Gutsy will run excellently on that resolution cause now it has a very broad range of graphic detecting tools. Plus, ATi has released new drivers and Ubuntu's restricted-drivers-manager should be able to give you full support on it. :)

I googled "restricted-drivers-manager" , but still am in doubt .
Will the Ubuntu CD contain the latest ATI drivers or is there any Ubuntu maintained database from which we get ATI drivers.

Also how to find out if Ubuntu will work with my ATI x1250 onboard grfx :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom