Official Android discussion thread

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Guys,

5.x.x.x of CynogenMOD ROM is now available. Its a straight jump from 4.x.x.x so we can expect lots of improvisations. Can hardly wait! I am downloading & will post my comments. Here are the CHANGELOG and download links. Rest is at XDA.

Amit

Edit: OMG its 2.1:shock:

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
*img714.imageshack.us/img714/481/omfgcat.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us​

Wait a second you wouldn't be happening to be talking about this now would you :) .

*img718.imageshack.us/img718/6228/homej.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us​

Thanks to Cyanogen Magic, Dream, G1 etc are now on 2.1 and theres only like some minor bugs which needs to be sorted out. Not only is this fast but its fast on epic proportions lol. Please note that booting up and getting to that desktop is a bit slower than the previous version but after that its a breeze. There are a few bugs I think but they only seem to be minor ones.

So far tested.
1. Making calls
2. Wireless Internet
3. All my applications
4. Synchronizing

If you got a Magic lying around or one of the phones which qualify for it I definitely urge you to give it a try. Ill be checking out wireless Tethering later on but I think it should work since theres an apk especially for this version. if anyone wants me to test out something before you convert let me know.

Conclusion
Theres definitely no need to be that concerned about Software versions with awesome Modders / Coders like Cyanogen out there.

Anyone else want to jump on the bandwagon :) ?

Last edited:
OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
What??? Didn't Magic,Dream, G1 have 2.1 till now??

I appreciate Spica more now :))

LOL a small clarification...2.1 existed on HTC phones for a while now. There was OpenEclair(posted screenies in earlier posts *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122921&page=4), SuperEclair, King's ROM and a couple of ROMs on Sense UI. But no one does it better than Cynogen :razz:. HE is a ROM god!

In fact this ROM is so good that now I am having second thoughts about buying a new Android phone :razz:. I doubt if an official ROM from HTC (for Magic) can better this.

My take:

-Very fast; almost fliud like (faster than 1.6:shock:); thanks to new kernel #2.6.33
-Animated GIFs
-percentage battery indicator on the battery icon
-Push implementation of Microsoft Exchange mail; (must for me to access office mail)
-wifi though proxy (again a blessing for me since internet access in my office is through proxy servers)
-ability to switch on/off app2sd
*img217.imageshack.us/img217/2181/app2sd.png
-great implementation of multitouch
-new gallery which is actually fast;syncs Picasa and Blogspot accounts
*img33.imageshack.us/img33/8392/gallerypo.png
*img718.imageshack.us/img718/641/abouti.png

@FillVoid Is Google Map as live wallpaper working for you?

Edit: It works :)

*img693.imageshack.us/img693/5649/mapw.png

Last edited:

vulpine

Broken In
LOL a small clarification...2.1 existed on HTC phones for a while now. There was OpenEclair(posted screenies in earlier posts *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122921&page=4), SuperEclair, King's ROM and a couple of ROMs on Sense UI. But no one does it better than Cynogen :razz:. HE is a ROM god!

:cry::cry: I envy HTC guys at XDA.

Why doesn't Cyanogen work for us spica guys as well.....!!!

I think samsung should gift him a spica next morning.;-)

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
LOL a small clarification...2.1 existed on HTC phones for a while now. There was OpenEclair(posted screenies in earlier posts *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...=122921&page=4), SuperEclair, King's ROM and a couple of ROMs on Sense UI. But no one does it better than Cynogen :razz:. HE is a ROM god!
No doubt about it, but GOD is not on our side :(
BTW screenshots are awesome, I tried Live wallpaper apk on spica, but it crashes every time.
How is 3D gallery, is it laggy or smooth

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
:cry::cry: I envy HTC guys at XDA.

Why doesn't Cyanogen work for us spica guys as well.....!!!

I think samsung should gift him a spica next morning.;-)

Don't worry dude! Spica will soon have a vibrant dev. community. You guys already have a 800Mhz processor! What else you guys want?!! :)

Guys tell me some good ROMs for Hero. Android 2.1 ones that is. My Hero is laggy like hell right now.

Factory fitted ROM is very good! If you have taken a back up please restore it. Else a bit of research on XDA should give you a fast ROM! Also try to disable few not so used widgets.

No doubt about it, but GOD is not on our side :(
BTW screenshots are awesome, I tried Live wallpaper apk on spica, but it crashes every time.
How is 3D gallery, is it laggy or smooth

Devs. took some time to perfect live wallpaper but now I think its getting stablized! 3D gallery is great eye candy and its fast. As said it syncs. every picture that you have stored under your gmail ID :)!

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Flashing back to Cynogen 4.x.x.x. Choppy data connection; especially GPRS. Will return once final version is out.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Flashing back to Cynogen 4.x.x.x. Choppy data connection; especially GPRS. Will return once final version is out.
Odd I havent had this happen yet. Things Ive so far :-

I'm definitely getting a longer batter life D: . Not sure how but I just am.
Wireless Connection works flawlessly . Earlier it would randomly disconnect me even if I was right ont he access point.
My phone is faster than it was with the earlier mod.
The camera preview is botched up but I can live without it.
Having that app2SD thing integrated in the Menu is really nice. Is that a Cyanogen thing or it a 2.1 feature?
Maps as wallpaper is working fine.
I kind of hate the number which displays on top of the battery .. I mean its a small icon but he font sort of makes it look hideous. I wish there was a way to integrate the htc sense widgets in here.

Top Bottom